Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok that's a B12XHL (LES) engine
Spec>ENGINE-GAS, 3 CYL, L3, 1.2L, SIDI, DOHC, VVT, ALUM, TURBO,GEN 1 (PSA)
it is a psa engine so not included in the new oil spec sheet they released,i would confirm with a dealer exactly which oil you should be using,the last recommended i can see is still dexos1 gen2
If you need instructions for the belt change,i will have them somewhere,just pm me if you need them.
Thanks again much appreciated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks again much appreciated
Well completed the repair today and when stripped down the deterioration of the wet cam belt system was clear to see with fibres breaking away from the edge of the belt and generally in very poor condition (36,000 miles) (see photos)
Finger Nail Thumb Cobblestone Brick

All stripped down, cleaned and new vauxhall approved kit fitted, everything back together, oil filled and running well again now.
Machine Automotive engine part Steel Engineering Engine
Metal Circle Steel Silver Brass

·
Premium Member
16,326 Posts
According to what I remember reading on the Peugeot forum, the belt has been modified and it is critical to use the correct engine oil.
I haven't looked on the Ford forums, but some of their engines also use a wet timing belt set up. Has anyone heard of similar problems on them?

I hope your engine was caught in time, and is not damaged.
Please keep us updated on progress, thanks
Ive heard of quite a few wet belts breaking up on the eco boom engines. All had sketchy service history so probably wrong oil or oil contamination causing the belt to deteriorate.

·
16,761 Posts
Seems a bizarre system to have a belt running in oil. Wonder what the supposed advantages are over a dry belt or chain?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I have owned the car from new it is a Vauxhall but it I believe has a re named Peugot engine, the car has only done 36000 miles and has full service history and has always had the correct engine oil in it.
The whole car is a Peugeot 2008, with modified body panels & Vauxhall badges!

Reactions: Valer

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Vauxhall Crossland x 1.2turbo.
My engine management light came on saying it needed a repair and then the engine oil pressure too low sign came on.
The car is serviced under a Vauxhall service plan. Has anybody had this kind of issue?
Is there any known issues with the Crossland like this that would be like the recall that happened on the Zafira b?
It would be very much appreciated if someone could come back on this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update today!
So we dropped the sump today to investigate the problem and our findings were interesting and probably what we had expected to see ( before and after photos attached of strainer) basically the wet cam belt is starting to deteriorate losing fibres into the oil resulting in a large build up at the strainer. This obviously then causing engine oil pressure low notification. Parts ordered and sump/oil back now to try and all looks and sounds okay. Replacement cam belt kit to be now fitted on arrival in next few days.
Hope this can help anyone in the future. View attachment 95996 k View attachment 95997
Hi how much did it cost to replace please

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Any idea of cost to repair please
It all depends how much damage has been done. If the car was stopped as soon as the light came on it will be a lot cheaper than if it needs a new engine!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently having exactly the same issue with my Cossland X 1.2 turbo eco tech engine. Would love to know how much to cost to repair. That’s if my problem is the same and. I further damage is done to my engine.
thankyou

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same issue here with crossland x. 4 years old and only done 33000 miles and had regular service.
Had to pay £66 tow fee to vauxhall garage.
£70 diagnostic fee to tell me its an oil pressure fault... what the dashboard light says
£80 oil and filter change.
£132 software update.
Now they want £960 to strip/put engine back together just to look for a fault which could mean a new engine costing over 5k!
Would be happy with just having my sump looked at to see if it's blocked but noone will even take the job as its an oil pressure fault.
Car is valued at over 11k running but 4.5k with a fault light.
Happy to throw £400 at an oil sump/pan replacement if it fixes problem and if it doesn't at least I'd of tried before writing of 7k of car value 😭.
Shocking from Vauxhall but as mentioned long as it lasts the warranty they don't give a 💩

·
Registered
8 Posts
Am slightly confused though. So the guy earlier who dropped his sump to see the strainer was clogged up, is that different to the oil filter or is that just another name for it?

·
Worn Out Member
8,763 Posts
It's different the engine has both,a course strainer in the sump and a fine filter in the oil system,
if a wet belt does suffer with shredding then the sump needs dropping and the strainer cleaned plus a new oil filter fitted.
Even that could leave micro particles in the oilways,but hopefully they will gradually get flushed out and discarded over time with subsequent oil changes.

Reactions: Phil X

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's different the engine has both,a course strainer in the sump and a fine filter in the oil system,
if a wet belt does suffer with shredding then the sump needs dropping and the strainer cleaned plus a new oil filter fitted.
Even that could leave micro particles in the oilways,but hopefully they will gradually get flushed out and discarded over time with subsequent oil changes.
Thanks for clearing that up. Just trying to find a mobile mechanic that will come do that for me. Fingers crossed that's the issue and I haven't damaged anything else. Can then look at replacing timing belt.
Was literally about to sell car as misses is pregnant and needed some spare cash for nursery when this goes wrong 😥

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Fingers crossed that's the issue and I haven't damaged anything else. Can then look at replacing timing belt.
If the engine is not knocking when it runs, I would get the timing belt done at the same time, or you risk more shredded parts of the belt blocking the oil strainer again.
£70 diagnostic fee to tell me its an oil pressure fault... what the dashboard light says
£80 oil and filter change.
Would be happy with just having my sump looked at to see if it's blocked but noone will even take the job as its an oil pressure fault.
Shocking from Vauxhall but as mentioned long as it lasts the warranty they don't give a 💩
It beats me why they thought just changing the oil & filter would do any good, they obviously aren't aware of this relatively common fault!
This is a well known problem with this engine, just check out the Peugeot forums.
I would have thought a good independent garage would be pleased to drop the sump to clean the strainer and do the belt for you, even if you had to sign a disclaimer that you would not hold them responsible if there was further undisclosed damage!
And you're right about Vauxhall, in common with most other manufacturers, they aren't interested once its out of warranty!
If you've had the car from new, have you considered making a claim against the dealer the car was bought from, under the sale of goods act? Cars should definitely not fail at that age & low mileage, considering what they cost. It might be worth seeking legal advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I am new to the forum and concerned that my vehicle (2018 crosssland x 1.2 130 HP petrol manual) is going to suffer from the same issue of premature cambelt wear .
Is there a common cause across these engines creating the problem I.e. type of use ( short / long journeys ,annual oil changes ,just the turbo models affected etc)
It appears from the Citroen and Peugeot forums the belt type has been amended some time ago but nobody seeems to know when although it appears the advised life time of the belt has been shortened.
A website eu- recalls.co.uk ( I am unaware of it’s provenance) shows the 2008 Peugeot(crossland x in disguise) built between 170613 and 010417 was recalled in January 2021 over issues around the timing belt breaking up .
WHY ARE VAUXHALL NOT RECALLING THE CROSSLAND X AND GRANDLAND X FOR CHECKS AS THIS ISSUE CAN APPARENTLY AFFECT BRAKING PERFORMANCE
IS IT TIME FOR BBC WATCHDOG TO GET INVOLVED
any help would be appreciated
I do like the car otherwise

·
Worn Out Member
8,763 Posts
This may be worth a read ,Grandland belt sorted recently under "special coverage" at 4 years old

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
WHY ARE VAUXHALL NOT RECALLING THE CROSSLAND X AND GRANDLAND X FOR CHECKS AS THIS ISSUE CAN APPARENTLY AFFECT BRAKING PERFORMANCE
I would love to know how the brake performance could possibly be affected by low oil pressure.
I think I smell something about this (bull manure)!

With regard to what causes it, the belt running in oil is a stupid idea to start with, and Peugeot also say it's vital to use the correct specification oil.

Reactions: TTT
21 - 40 of 49 Posts