Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Bedford RL,bloody hell that takes me back a bit Alan, ;)
those old Bedford (300 ?) petrol engines could be a sod to get the heads off sometimes
due to the studs rusting solid in the heads :censored:
This was back in the 1970's, when I was a fitter at a bus company. It was our breakdown vehicle, didn't get a lot of use, but seemed to use a lot of petrol! :rolleyes:
I remember one day going to Battersea coach park in London with the workshop foreman to fetch a coach with a knackered engine back to Chepstow, what a journey that was (no engine running in the coach, so no heater all the way back). Why did these things only seem to happen in winter?

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
We had a variety of breakers back then,it was a Bedford O type when i started,
but due to taking on a Scania repair franchise in addition to the Vx/Bedford ones they "upgraded" lol
to an ex army (1940/50's ) Scammel,it pulled the extra weight ok but was slow and cold in our winters,
ah the good old days ;)

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
We had a variety of breakers back then,it was a Bedford O type when i started,
but due to taking on a Scania repair franchise in addition to the Vx/Bedford ones they "upgraded" lol
to an ex army (1940/50's ) Scammel,it pulled the extra weight ok but was slow and cold in our winters,
ah the good old days ;)
One of our other depots had an ex-army 4 wheel Matador (war time gun tractor).
One day, I was tasked to go to Plymouth to tow another dead coach back to Monmouth depot, with one of the fitters from Monmouth, using the Matador.
The Matador was delivered from Cwmbran depot the day before we were going, and, at 6.00am I drove it out of the depot in Monmouth & up the main street, engine screaming flat out at 12 mph.
Blighter from Cwmbran had left it in 4wd low ratio. I gave the levers a stir, found high ratio, and from memory we could do about 35 mph!
Again, it was winter, no rubbers where the brake & clutch pedals disappeared through the floor, cold draught right up the trouser legs!
I think we eventually got back about 9.00 pm that night, both of us frozen!
As you say, the good old days!

Reactions: Valer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I’m not familiar with this engine but I presume it uses a multi layer steel head gasket and torque to yield bolts.

You don’t say whether the previous owner tried any bodge repair on it but you’ve had .6mm machined off the head which means, on some engines, you need to use a slightly thicker MLS gasket.

I don’t know whether you replaced the TTY bolts but if you re-used them in the stretched condition, combined with the amount of material machined off the head, they may be bottoming in the threads. If that’s the case you won’t get the correct clamping force on the head gasket so won’t get proper cylinder compression.
Yes it has a MLS gasket. New head bolts used so dont think its those bottoming out. Throttle body moves freely....that was another youtube video I saw amongst many many others :)
Next question please guys....youll be sick of me before long......engine removal.
Haynes shows the engine has to come out complete with gearbox and subframe removal from underneath. As I dont have a fancy jig to make sure the alignment is ok I was planning to remove it from above. Minus the gearbox if that will be easier. Anyone tried this and had any luck? I did search for some topics about it but could only find reference to the Astra H. Many thanks again for all the help guys

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
I would say it will come out through the top without the gearbox, you will need to remove the front engine mount to allow the engine to move forward and stick a trolley jack under the gearbox.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Sorry but work for us both got in the way but thought I'd give an update. Valve seats needed cutting in the end. Cylinders honed and new rings fitted whilst it was all in pieces. Engine is now fully back together and running! 2 further questions if I can please.
1. Never worked on this engine before but lots of ticking coming from the inlet manifold area. Presuming injectors? Are they really so loud ?
2.Anyone any idea what these 3 boxes mean on the dashboard?

·
15,367 Posts
The 3 boxes are seatbelt warnings for the rear seats.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts