Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here goes, I have got an 04 plate Zafira gsi which i have had for 10 mths and no problems.One morning i start it up and it sounds like a tank. I removed the exhaust heat shield and found the manifold was completely cracked, After ringing vauxhall for a replacement part i was told it comes as a complete unit with the turbo @ £800 + fitting. After some thought i eventually found a second hand manifold that had a poorly turbo on a well known auction site. I stripped the blown turbo off and after inspecting the manifold i handed it over to my local garage who stripped my cracked manifold off and replaced it with the one i purchased complete with new exhaust gaskets. Job done, or so i thought.Since then when i come to a standstill i can smell oil through the air vents (doesnt smoke from the exhaust tho)and seems to be coming from around the turbo pipes. (never done this before the garage touched it).So i send it back in, they replace the copper washers around the banjo fittings.Got it back again but still leaking oil.The garage say they could strip the turbo and replace some seals inside as they seem to think its coming from between the turbo and the manifold.

My question is this, as the car has covered 55k is it just worth my while biting the bullet and purchasing a whole new unit?
I've also read somewhere that the vxr zafira turbo unit will fit as a straight swap, its cheaper and built better apparently.
does anyone know?
After looking on the net for someone i could trust locally to do this work i came across thorney motorsport in milton keynes, has anyone had any dealings with them? There website looks good and promises so much but after talking to them about my problem the guy on the other end of the phone didn't fill me with confidence, or could you reccomend anyone local to me (Kettering northants)who is up to the job. I just want to get this sorted now without having to keep taking it back.

Please, please help.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I second that! the VXR turbo will fit and your correct in saying it is a better turbo unit and cheaper. around £450 from lmf or autovaux brand new ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers jimbo, looks like a good bargain at the moment for someone, I ordered one from courtenay yesterday should have it on friday.Those guys are really helpful there and would reccomend anyone give them a call for advice as they are so helpful. A simple adjustment has to be made to the actuator and water feed pipe to fit my zafira which they are going to make before they send it out. I will definately be going to them in the future. Top guys at courtenay not like the guy at thorney who just didn't seem to be bothered, and once again thanks for the info jimbo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.