Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, got a problem with my sisters Zafira Tourer.

She rang me last night to ask "what's that noise?" It sounded like a vacuum cleaner...she worked out it was the washer pump when she filled the reservoir and it spat it straight out of the windscreen jets.

I told her to pull the fuse and she's come to me today to look at it. Plugged the fuse back it, filled 'er up and it was fine. A few hours later it started again.

I don't think it's the stalk. It moves freely and when working normally the pump cuts out after about 10 seconds (as expected).

The pump started running with the engine off, keys out and locked and wouldn't cut off.

Does anyone have any ideas before I started ripping out the whole bloody electrical system and fix it with a splash of petrol and a lighter*?

I might whip the wheel off and have a quick shufties around the pump to see if there's anything obvious...but would greatly appreciate any other ideas being put forward.

Many thanks
Sean

*I won't really do that - it's not a bad motor and more to the point, my sister would brutally murder me and my body would never be found!

·
Worn Out Member
9,480 Posts
The washer system consists of 2 pcb relays in the UEC supplied from the BCM that alternate polarity to the washer motor depending if front or rear wash is selected.
It sounds as though one of the pump wires may be shorted to voltage or possibly a relay is stuck.
Which fuse stops the pump,F40 possibly ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The washer system consists of 2 pcb relays in the UEC supplied from the BCM that alternate polarity to the washer motor depending if front or rear wash is selected.
It sounds as though one of the pump wires may be shorted to voltage or possibly a relay is stuck.
Which fuse stops the pump,F40 possibly ?
Yep, F40 is the one.
I'm also leaning towards a relay, but not sure which one it is?

I did manage to follow the wires back from the pump (12V at the plug on the motor) and couldn't see anything obvious.

And just to add insult to injury - the central locking has stopped working. The indicators flash, the relay clicks but the doors remain locked. Can't even open the doors manually (except drivers door on the key and the boot lid).

Sister isn't complaining too much...she's nicked my Vivaro for a couple of days lol

·
Worn Out Member
9,480 Posts
The relays are on the pcb and non replaceable,with those other faults you need to pull the bcm out and check it's not water damaged,have a read,posts 4&5

·
Worn Out Member
9,480 Posts
I can't see see it being ECM related, all the faults are on circuits that are BCM controlled,
anyway good luck with it 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts