Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.6 zafira.
Here have been my symptoms.

After driving for a couple of minutes when the car is getting warm, if i drive above 3000rpm ish when i aproach a junction or similar and let the revs freely drop the car stalled.
This did not happen every time but more than not.
If i keep the revs below 3000rpm and approach a junction the revs will not drop below idle and doesnt stall.
sometimes the idle hovers round 500 then back up to 750ish.

obviosly sometimes this can be nerveracking.

Here is what i have done so far:-

1st, first off i purchased a egr blanking plate from ebay £5 ish
then i fitted that
(on my 1.6 zafira it is just behind the head on the right hand side,
held on with 2 t45 torx bolts)
i used the gasket allready there and kept the valve to one side
with one of the bolts, and still plugged in, so it was out of the way,
but still there so no ecu fault.

I took the car for a test run, but unfortunately it still stalled.
(Worth doing though, as other threads have described)

2nd, I decided that i would check the breathing system at the top to see
if there were any blockages.

and hey presto the big pipe that is attached just behind the coil
pack leading to the plastic air intake was completely blocked with
gunk, i used brake cleaner and some wire and gave this a good clean,
also the whole air intake system was took off and gunk removed
and the smaller pipe next to the bigger one that leads to
the throttle body.
then i gave a good dose of brake/carb cleaner to the throttle plate.

I then took the car for a test drive and hey presto the car didnt stall.
Im not holding my breath but seems ok for now!

Ill post some pictures soon and any other work done to solve this
problem.

Note -
when checking the throttle body. there is a small breather pipe that goes to the cam cover from the right hand side.
If you take the throttle body the pipe leads to a very small airway to the underside of the throttle plate.
You will need to clear this opening completely, i used a big sewing needle to unclog.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had all the same problems and mine turned out to be the Lambda/Oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 week and my car has not stalled, shame cos i really wanted to do a long troubleshooting thread!
My list of jobs done can be a try first if nothing else.

Funny that a lambda sensor will show exactly the same symptoms as i have described.
Just goes to show why so many people dont know where to start!

Does anyone else have other stage 2 fixes going from my stage 1 £10 fix,
for the next stage of diagnosis, for those who are still stuck.

Please describe in detail.

and how would you go about testing the lambda sensor?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't dismiss the VX main dealer if you have a puzzling problem. In our area Kettering Vauxhall do a diagnostic and quote for £35 which saves a lot of messing around because you can then get the part yourself and fit it.
Re the petrol model EGR valve, get rid of it, keep ringing around the VX dealers untill you find one who will fit a blanking plate and re-programme tickover to suite. Some VX dealers will happily replace EGR valves at £100+ a time till the cows come home but they will still coke up again. I bought a blanking plate off ebay originally and fitted it but the engine did not seem totally happy. When I removed it to have the job done properly by VX Corby (£42) the soot on the underside of my blanking plate was thick. No wonder the EGR valves don,t last long. Having the job done properly also saves carrying around carb cleaner and tools, you should not have to stop and clean the EGR valve every other month on modern cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update...

having done the above tasks at the top and now including (oil+filter,plugs, and fuel filter) the car has NOT once stalled, in any weather/at any speed. Happy.

I think ill check the breathers again and see how quickly the gunk builds up, also from reading the last post, I'm going to remove the EGR blanking plate and see what kind of mess is underneath!!

Ill keep on top of these jobs and see how she goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Blanking off the egr valve on Vauxhall Zafiras leads to start-up problems??

Has anyone had a problem starting the engine after doing the egr blanking off thing?

I blanked mine off, disconnected the sensor and it cured the stalling out problem right away. But now I get problems starting the thing. Never happened before so I know its connected with the egr valve being blanked off.

What could that be? Idling control or some such?

I've got a Nov 2002 Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 petrol.

Bob.

·
Registered
25 Posts
have you run a diagnostics i had mine in garage today zafira after it had 3 throttle bodys on it bout 4 week ago it decided to start stalling when stopping at junctions and if u shift into neutral it stalls been told its egr valve after it was put on computer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.