Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can offer advice. We are the second owners of a 55 Zafira. On about 3 occasions in 4 months the car has failed to start - no turnover, no electrics no loghts come on. Nothing. turn the key maybe three or 4 times then the car starts perfectly. any ideas what this might be? could it be immobiliser or something like that?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hope someone can offer advice. We are the second owners of a 55 Zafira. On about 3 occasions in 4 months the car has failed to start - no turnover, no electrics no loghts come on. Nothing. turn the key maybe three or 4 times then the car starts perfectly. any ideas what this might be? could it be immobiliser or something like that?

I had the same problem last year, took it back to the dealer and they replaced a unit called " sim unit" i think, its inside the steering coloumn.
been no problem since it was changed

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same problem, took to halfords auto centre and they said they reset it and if it goes again i would have to have it programmed by the dealer ??? previous to this problem my car kept going into "LIMP" mode (just about get you home) and ABS light flashing and Engine managment light came on, so took it to them and they said the ECU was fine but the throttle module needed to be replaced so they did this and 24hrs (literally) later bam same problem, now they say its the above problem ??

i have had it tested by an auto electrician who said its the ECU ??? whats your thoughts

·
Premium Member
16,325 Posts
Assuming its a zafira B. You need to check for water in the UEC ( fuse box under the bonnet). these are known to get water in and cause throttle fault codes and the symptoms you describe.

The wiring runs from the ECU through the UEC to the pedal then back through the UEC back to the ECU. When water gets in the UEC it creates mayhem. Ive heard of a couple of people who have bypassed the UEC and gone from ECU to pedal and back to the ECU and cured the throttle codes. If we had the fault codes then we may be able to advise you better. Throttle/pedal codes are usually P0120/P0220/P1120/P1122.

What engine do you have?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 1.6 petrol Zafira B on a 55 plate and im not sure on the codes as the garage did it sorry will try and find out for you in the morning im sure when i did the pedal trick i got a 161450

Where would i find the UEC ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,325 Posts
UEC is under the bonnet to the right of the battery judging by the pictures i have. Looks like a fuse box with some relays in. You need to check for water and also corrosion on any of the pins that the fuses go into. The underside of the UEC needs checking for corrosion too,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
I have checked the fuse box and there does not seem to be any water damage or corrosion, but now the car wont start and the car/spanner light is flashing what can i do to get the car to start again ? all i get is the dash lights then nothing complete silence and the light flashing ??? so i cant even get it back to the garage now :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
So the auto electrician has been and gone not good news the ECU is buggered its tripping out and is running nearly 7 volts when it should be 5 but its also showing lots of other faults but until we know we have a working ECU there not connected lol had to pay £25 for a programming code for the new ECU from Vauxhall :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.