Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First post, but I've heard nothing but good things about the help and advise you guys can dish out!

So . . . . . .

I have only had my Zafira for about 6 months, but problems seem to happening over & over again!

I have 2 at present - would anyone be able to give me some advise?

Issue One: Currently, after driving for more than 10-15mins, I get a strong smell of burning from the engine. I have taken it to a garage and they said that either the Rocker Cover Gasket needs replacing or the Rear Main oil seal. Does this sound right to you guys? The oil levels are fine, as I'm starting to check these daily.

Issue Two: For the last 2 days, when slowing down for slow moving traffic or for traffic lights, the whole car starts to really shudder as if it's going to stall at any time. When this happens, the battery warning light flashes on the dashboard? Any help at all? Is it just that it is revving too low? On tick over and stationary, the rev's are only showing at about 800. is it not normal to rev at about 1.5k?

Sorry to burden so much with first post, but I am rather useless with cars!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt, Notts.

·
Premium Member
16,284 Posts
Ive got a 1.6 zaf, mine idles at around 750 when warm, slightly highter when first started from cold, the battery light may flicker when the revs go to low when its about to stall, what engine does your car have?

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi if its got the symptoms you mention - it will get worse and it will eventually cut out when you are stopped and even on over run while you are moving -
my best guess would be EGR valve is either blocked or not working correctly - cost + gasket £50 maximum
regards
Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help and reply. Looking back at previous threads, this seems quite common amongst Zafira's - so hopefully this will be all it is! I have the car booked in to see a mechanic on Tuesday, so I shall certainly mention it to him.

Does your knowledge go as far as to give possible explanations for the burning smell I get when the engine is warm?! Are what I put in original thread the most likely?

·
Premium Member
16,284 Posts
maybe a leaky rocker cover gasket leaking oil onto exhaust or leaky filler cap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont get a mechanic to do the egr, it's a doddle my site shows u how, keep an eye on the oil thoughb these engines can burn through a ltr a week
You've obviously never seen me with a spanner! ;) Well see what mechanic says tomorrow when I take it in.

I've noticed the oil consumption on this car is crazy. I think I've used about 4 litres in the last couple fo months!! Why's this?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've noticed the oil consumption on this car is crazy. I think I've used about 4 litres in the last couple fo months!! Why's this?
They do tend to drink oil from what i gather, i know ours does! i hear around 1000 miles a litre is acceptable.

·
Premium Member
16,284 Posts
1.2l per 1000 mile is what my VX handbook says for the z16xe/x16xe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took into garage today. Needs a new rocker cover gasket, some kind of a new pipe which has been blocked by spilt oil, new EGR valve/or EGR valve cleaning and some new spark plugs.

£250-£300 apparently? That sound right to you guys?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts