Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Zafira GSi (Z20LET) is suffering from oil leaks - Cam cover, turbo pipes, sump, etc. If I replace a seal the pressure finds the next weakest point.

So far I've checked / replaced:
- Compression - Looks OK with 170psi on all 4 cylinders (dry test); no smoke from exhaust at all
- Turbo refurbished in last 2 years
- New seals for cam cover, sump, oil pressure switch, oil level switch
- New one-way valve on cam cover - allowing air flow into intake

The car runs really well pulls well and dead smooth with no miss-fires or hesitation. Its standard factory spec and I've owned it from new.

Does anybody have any idea where the pressure might be coming from ..... I'm stuck.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
The system will always be under pressure when running so will always find a weak point if there is one.
Have you checked all breather pipes are not blocked?
As far as im aware the weakest point is the cam cover but i could be wrong.
Have you checked the oil cooler?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for ideas.
I've checked all 3 breather pipes to from cam cover and they are clear.
I've not checked the oil cooler. What symptoms do you get when this is failing? I assumed you would get oil/water mixing (which I don't have). Is there some way it pressurises the crankcase when its failing?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Don’t know tbh mate. I was thinking more maybe the pipes going to the cooler may have perished/split

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
The reason the cam covers Always leak is due to it being made of plastic and over time it warps so you will never get a seal unless you buy a new cover for £110.
Don’t mistake the sump leak as this is usually the oil level sensor ‘o’ ring that needs replaced.
Problem is you need to take the lower sump pan off to access it.
If the turbo returns/feeds are leaking through the copper ‘o’ ring washers then heat the washer up with a gas flame then drop in water to soften the material and refit. It won’t leak again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fitted new cam cover and gasket .... seems to have stopped the top end leak so far. After 2 new gaskets over recent years which failed to cure problem, the new cover seems to have done the trick

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts