Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.
My son has a problem with his Zafira 1.8, 2013 petrol. Initially one morning it would not start. It was recovered to a garage that diagnosed a possible problem of fuse box and ECU fault, quoting about £2000 to repair. I knew a little about these cars and that water getting into the fuse box was a common issue. The car sat at the garage for about a week, after which time they said that it would now start. He has since been driving the car for 10 days. The only problem that it has had now, is that after driving in the rain the EML will light and the car looses power briefly. After stopping and starting the engine again, it's OK.
I feel pretty sure that it's water somehow getting into the fuse box from a leaking bonnet seal possibly. I think the ECU is OK as it runs fine most of the time.
Now for my question.
I have purchased a second hand fuse box that looks identical to the one in the car. I know how to swap over the BCM module.
So I can use the BCM in the original fuse box and fit it into the replacement, no problem.
The question is, the fuse box fuses and relay locations look identical in the replacement fuse box to the original fuse box but are all fuse boxes identical apart from the BCM module?
I hope that makes some sense.
Thanks.
Mike.

·
16,184 Posts
The Zafira doesn't have a BCM, it has the UEC which is what you are calling the fuse box.
These are not plug and play and need coding to the vehicle using diagnostic equipment. You will need your vehicle's security code and also the code for the replacement, unless it has been correctly divorced from the donor vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I am probably showing my ignorance here but there is a small PCB under a cover that's marked with letters GU or HA, I've seen other letters.
I thought that was known as the BCM. I thought that if you swapped that over no coding would be necessary.
Any information welcome.
Thanks.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
639 Posts
Zafira C seem to have a BCM and that is coded to the vehicle. For the fuse box, there is little information about it, so you will change it like for like and let us know how it went.

Zafira B doesn’t have a BCM and above info is accurate.

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
First question for me is this a Zafira B or C ?
2013 could be either

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help with this. In am pleased to say that I have just found the fault. It was a broken wire in the loom that comes from the rear ECU plug to somewhere. It was a thin brown/yellow wire. Just by trial and error I started wiggling all of the looms around the engine and eventually I could get the engine to start or stop by wiggling this piece of cable trunking.
The wire in question snapped when I separated the loom. It was quite green with corrosion but I have no idea why. Obviously the insulation had worn through and water had got to the copper core.It was inside a piece of convoluted cable trunking and would not have been subject to abrasion. I have spliced in a piece of wire and used solder and heat shrink. I hope it lasts.
Thanks again.
Mike.

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
Well spotted 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts