Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dashboard engine emissions light is occasionally staying on. The one that looks like this:-

It came on once before, but when I next started the car the following day, it went off fairly promptly after starting. But again yesterday I went for a drive, then on way back, it came on at start up and remained on. Its not flashing continuously though. Car has been running fine and smoothly otherwise with no dubious noises or behaviour. No obvious smoke from exhaust either.
What sort of things could it signify? What's the best plan?
BTW my Zafira is a dual fuel, petrol/LPG.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Its not unknown for LPG cars to put the engine light on and off like a yo-yo even when there is no real problem.
Could be many things though. If its under warranty take it in. Many of the Vaux dealers are clueless when it comes to LPG models. The one in Derby has a good reputation for dual-fuel models.
The LPG forum is your best bet though if out of warranty.
Don't listen to anybody who slags off LPG, they are living in the past. I have 1 lpg car and its great. My Zafira is about 2b converted too.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
The light is coming on I should think because of the oxygen/Lambda sensors in the exhaust are sending an error code to the ECU.

You say the car is dual fuel does the light come on when running on both LPG and petrol? If it only comes on when running on LPG and then turns off when you switch to petrol I would think the LPG system is due a service i.e. new filters as well spark plugs, air filter and possibly recalibrating.

LPG does not combust as easily as petrol so therefore the conditions are much more critical for running on LPG. Using single point spark plugs with a smaller plug gap than standard can aid better running on LPG.

If the service light comes on and goes off regardless of which fuel you are running on then problem may lie with the oxygen/Lambda sensors?

I haven’t had many problems with my LPG system in 3 years I have done well over 30K. As has said it’s true the engine light can come on occasionally. Once back running on petrol the light usually goes of quite quickly. I have a cheap OBD II code reader I use to clear the error codes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went for a run running on just petrol and the light remained on. So as you say, it could be the sensors. If so, how much roughly do think I'm looking out to get this sorted at a workshop?
Been looking at getting a ScanGauge anyway, so might investigate further once I get that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got the same issue and I have a diesel engine. Light stays on for 5 mins and then go off or won't come on at all.

I checked it over the last couple of 4 days and will ask the garage to read the error code today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i also have same problem with you before this, what you can do is check whether the level of engine oil is enough or not, or you should clean your carburator just cost u 10 pound , try it....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.