Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2006 Zafira 1.9CDTI (8V) that seems to sit too low at the front. I looked online and found that ground clearance should be around 160mm but in reality, I can’t fit a piece of 4x2 timber between the sump cover and the road (4” ~ 100mm) so I estimate that there is around 80-90mm clearance. The wheel arch clearance on both side seem to be similar and I have checked both front springs but they are not damaged. Does anyone else have any similar problems? Could someone with the same model do me a favour and measure from the ground to the wheel arch please? I noticed the problem the other day when I was driving down a main road (at around 40-50mph) and the sump cover skimmed the ground over a slight bump or change in the tarmac! I have also found that it grounds out when reversing up semi-steep driveways. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Chance they have fitted the wrong springs as 2 sets available if they have been replaced at some point.

Try and have a look for a brand or if they are a silly colour.

At that height good chance after market lowering ones.

Realistically needs to be balanced height or it screws with the handling

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
65cms from ground to lower edge of wheel arch
So I measured my car and the wheel arch height is exactly the same as yours - 65cm. That would suggest that the body is sitting at the correct height. I suppose the next thing to check is that the undertrays are all fitted properly and not dropping down for any reason. It did seem pretty solid when I shoved the lump of timber under there but who knows!

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Could an engine mount have failed or maybe past its best? allowing the engine to sit a bit lower. Ive not had this on mine and im not sure what a worn engine mount would do but maybe something to check?

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could an engine mount have failed or maybe past its best? allowing the engine to sit a bit lower. Ive not had this on mine and im not sure what a worn engine mount would do but maybe something to check?

Bill
Good point, I'll check that too. Another question unrelated to the ground clearance: How often does the DPF get regenerated and would I know it was happening? Are there any warning lights on the dash that tell me it's happening?

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
No warning lights on mine, except the one i put in to alert me a regeneration in progress. On mine the idle speed fluctuates and fuel comsumption rises dramatically. At idle mine uses 0.1mph , during a regen it rises to 0.9

Bill

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Sorry, i cant recall the specific process but it involves connecting two wires into the heated rear window circuit or as i did, into the heated door mirror . There are videos on it but not for a zafira.

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, it’s entirely possible that the front springs have weakened over time allowing the suspension to sink. You can also loose a few millimetres of height through suspension wear. Subframe bushes, lower arm bushes, top mounts, roll bar bushes and links, tyre wear and pressure etc. it all adds up.
Providing the suspension is healthy and correct size tyres/wheels are fitted.
You should be able to “improve” the concern with a couple of new springs!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts