Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
zafira B 1.8 SRI and Vectra C 1.8 Design
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to change rear shock absorbers myself and get the garage to change rear axle bushes
I've got some Monroe shock absorbers
But what is a good brand for the rear axle bushes as these seem to be pig of a job to do and want to get it right first time
any suggestion would be helpful
Zafira B 2008 Z18XER 1.8 SRI

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
The rear axle bushes can be tricky to remove. I smashed mine to bits to get them out. I replaced them with polyurethane ones, more expensive but easier to fit.

Bill

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear axle bushes can be tricky to remove. I smashed mine to bits to get them out. I replaced them with polyurethane ones, more expensive but easier to fit.

Bill
how much are these and is their a particular brand to get?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fitted them. They are very easy to fit compared with the original ones.
How did you remove the old ones-did you use any special tools
If i could fit them then i would buy powerflex but if garage is doing them then it will be standard replacement

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
No special tools, just extreme violence and much to my neighbours horror , a fair bit of swearing. If a garage is doing them theyll have the tools to fit the original spec ones. I would have chosen that option too.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
No special tools to remove. Just extreme violence and much swearing. I would have had original quality replacements too, if a garage was fitting them.

Bill

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
The ones i took out were the original ones and mileage must have been around the100k when they were replaced. I chose them for ease of fitting but other benefits would be longevity.

Bill

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The ones i took out were the original ones and mileage must have been around the100k when they were replaced. I chose them for ease of fitting but other benefits would be longevity.

Bill
Did you noticed any difference from the original one you replaced regarding noise and comfort

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car is now on 103k
Thing I have done this year

Recent full service-, oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, pollen filter, brake fluid
Full timing belt kit
aux belt inc idler and tensioners
Water pump and flush
Oil Cooler which was replaced with new ( been burning oil for Years)
Front Wishbones-then tracked
Front spring and shocks-springs failed on MOT
2 New tyres
2 rear shock- fitting them tomorrow
Mostly wear and Tear and hopefully the last bit is the axle bushes which was advisory and should be ok for a few year

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fitted the Monroe G1061 rear shock absorbers
lets says the original shocks were F**KED
Took more time taking the wheels off after tyre centre fitted them with the gun

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
I share your pain, i had the similiar thing when the apprentice overtightened the locking wheel nuts. I had to chisel them off. It was a right faff !

·
18,018 Posts
I've still got to find time to slacken all mine and re-torque them after having new rear tyres fitted. I watched them gun the bolts on and then use the torque wrench - not one of them needed any additional torque because the gun was set too high and they didn't use torque sticks.

Reactions: awol

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Sensible ! I was lucky i was fitting new discs on the drive in the sun when i discovered mine had been overtightened. It could have been a puncture on the hard shoulder in the rain just as easily

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
when I took the car to the tyre centre to slaken the nuts off
He bought his long breaker bar out and even then its took quite a bit of effort and the car moved back
When I explained to him of what if I had a puncture, he just shrugged his shoulders
I did put some copper grease on the bolt which should help next time

1 - 20 of 26 Posts