Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Sounds like it needs a couple Jack Daniels to loosen up a bit.:LOL:

All seriousness though what's the mileage? Is it still the original clutch or has it been replaced recently?

I suspect it's a release bearing gone stiff, it happens on clutches of a certain vintage especially the older fork and release bearing type where the bearing seizes on the input shaft collar, if you have an inspection cover on the gearbox you can easily sort this by cleaning it and appling a light film of clutch spline grease I used to get this on me old combo b vans, if it's the type where the bearing and slave are one then sometimes a good clutch bleed helps get rid of the crap out the slave unit, I had this issue on my corsa c sri I had to stand on the peddle to shift, when I bled the clutch black stuff came out of the slave unit bit was much better afterwards.
Another thing that will cause stiff clutch peddle is brake fluid contamination like water in the system your know right way as it will come out cloudy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it needs a couple Jack Daniels to loosen up a bit.:LOL:

All seriousness though what's the mileage? Is it still the original clutch or has it been replaced recently?

I suspect it's a release bearing gone stiff, it happens on clutches of a certain vintage especially the older fork and release bearing type where the bearing seizes on the input shaft collar, if you have an inspection cover on the gearbox you can easily sort this by cleaning it and appling a light film of clutch spline grease I used to get this on me old combo b vans, if it's the type where the bearing and slave are one then sometimes a good clutch bleed helps get rid of the crap out the slave unit, I had this issue on my corsa c sri I had to stand on the peddle to shift, when I bled the clutch black stuff came out of the slave unit bit was much better afterwards.
Another thing that will cause stiff clutch peddle is brake fluid contamination like water in the system your know right way as it will come out cloudy.
Roughly 80,000 miles and everything on it is OEM

·
Premium Member
618 Posts

This is your clutch, It's fitted with an all in one slave and bearing inside the bell housing, considering the mileage and age of the car I suspect the seal for the slave cylinder is a bit on the hard side and the guide the bearing slides in and out on is a bit built up with old clutch particles, that doesn't mean it's knackered though, 80k is usually about the time they start showing thier age, if it was mine I would flush the old fluid out the clutch line with some new brake fluid 80k on the same fluid in the line will be a bit past its best anyway, like I said in an earlier post it did wonders for my corsa with the same clutch set up.

·
Premium Member
14,915 Posts
View attachment 93366

This is your clutch, It's fitted with an all in one slave and bearing inside the bell housing, considering the mileage and age of the car I suspect the seal for the slave cylinder is a bit on the hard side and the guide the bearing slides in and out on is a bit built up with old clutch particles, that doesn't mean it's knackered though, 80k is usually about the time they start showing thier age, if it was mine I would flush the old fluid out the clutch line with some new brake fluid 80k on the same fluid in the line will be a bit past its best anyway, like I said in an earlier post it did wonders for my corsa with the same clutch set up.
Is that to fit the 16xer engine then? I had a clutch kit fitted years ago to a previous 57 1.6xer Astra, under warranty at 27k, was covered fortunately under the dealers extended warranty then. Symptoms- clutch judder mainly when warm. After the new clutch, had no further issues. I think the Zaffy B was later introduced to the 1.6xer engine than the Astra H, 07 was the crossover year for that engine from the XEP, I believe with the H.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I'd try giving the clutch mechanism a spray with wd40, my father in laws zaff

Is that to fit the 16xer engine then? I had a clutch kit fitted years ago to a previous 57 1.6xer Astra, under warranty at 27k, was covered fortunately under the dealers extended warranty then. Symptoms- clutch judder mainly when warm. After the new clutch, had no further issues. I think the Zaffy B was later introduced to the 1.6xer engine than the Astra H, 07 was the crossover year for that engine from the XEP, I believe with the H.
Yes Fred I use first-lines webcat site to look up specs for parts very handy site indeed.

·
Premium Member
14,915 Posts
Yes Fred I use first-lines webcat site to look up specs for parts very handy site indeed.

It's- George, no worries🤣

1 - 10 of 10 Posts