Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya folks. New user to the forum and fairly new owner of a Zafira B.

Bought it in June. It's a 2007 CDTi 1.9 model. I did some searching and it seemed easy enough to fit cruise control to it, so I figured I'd have a go! I've got the stalk fitted (works for indicators), bought an OPCOM off ebay (I feel like this was a poor decision), got the software installed and working on a Windows XP Virtual Machine on my laptop and managed to connect to my car with only a few issues.

So... I managed to go into the engine management and turn Cruise Control on. Engine management also said Clutch and Brake switches were present. I went into the other two management areas (I know one was steering, dont remember the second on the top of my head) and enabled cruise control there too. This needed my security code, but the engine didn't for some reason.

I've rebooted the laptop and also turned the car on/off and checked the settings "stuck", which they did. But for some reason, the cruise control just doesn't work. I've tried it at 30mph, 40mph, 60mph and 70mph. It just doesn't turn on.

I've heard that some models need a wire pulling down from the loom under the steering wheel cowl, and some don't. I'm not sure if mine does. Is there anything else I could be missing?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Worn Out Member
8,242 Posts
Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it was actually a youtube video but the steps in it were the same as the how2 you linked.

ECU, CIM and IPC all say Cruise Control is present last I checked. I can take the laptop out later and check again.

·
15,923 Posts
Check it is seeing all 3 stalk switches on measuring blocks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to double check, that's in the engine management, correct? I remember that's where I checked the cruise and brake switches.

·
15,923 Posts
Top of my head I can't remember, but you should see outputs for "Set", "Resume" and "Cancel".
They should toggle as you press them.
I don't think it is in the ECU, got a feeling it is in the UEC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, sorry for the delay on this. Been out to the car with the OPCOM and grabbed some screenshots.

So it looks like it is properly registering the switches on the actual stalk. Here's the screenshots from CIM, ECU and Engine.

I think that's all the relevant info? Let me know if i'm missing anything. :)

·
15,923 Posts
So are those 3 switches toggling when you press them? Your first 3 screenshot.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
489 Posts
Can you show the brake light switch 2x and clutch switch data from engine ECU?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just been out and got them.

No pedals pushed

Clutch pedal pushed down.

Brake pedal pushed down.

Also Cruise Control Tip Switch registers what buttons I press on the stalk (like the previous screenshots)

·
15,923 Posts
Easy to miss, but CC will only engage after the brake pedal has been pressed at least once.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, and only at 30mph or higher. Where I live is 20, so I drive to the end of the road, stop, turn into the 30mph area, stop at the lights, turn onto teh 40mph road and i've been trying it there. No go.

Also tried on the motorway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so I haven't cocked anything up there then. That's good to know.

I've seen other folk say that sometimes just plugging it all into OPCOM makes crap randomly work, so I might give it another go now I've done that

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took it out for a short drive tonight and thought "Bugger it, let's try the cruise control."

Welp. It works. No idea why it works. But it works. :D So thank you everyone for trying to help and at least having me check that everything was done correctly.

·
15,923 Posts
Well that's good to hear.

The only other thing it could be is the brake pedal switch is not correctly adjusted, it is opening and closing as reported in OpCom but if it is only just getting enough of the plunger being pressed you may find that sometimes it will not engage. That is what was happening on mine and I found if I pulled the brake pedal up slightly with my foot it would work, which then led me to take up contortionism to get in under the dash to release the locking sleeve and correctly set the plunger position.

Might be worth keeping in mind should it stop working again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I THINK it might be the clutch. I have a tendancy to rest my foot slightly off to one side in case I need to react, so the side of the foot is partially on it. I saw in another forum that someone said even lightly tapping the clutch turns it off.

So I moved my foot completely off it, and it worked. Put my foot just resting on it? Instantly turned off. Thought that was odd since you have to press it down about 1/4 for OPCOM to say it's activated.

But hey, it works. :) Even the light on the dash is working!

Funny thing is, I remember my Dad's 2004 Vectra doing that with it's cruise control when I borrowed it once. I just forgot.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
489 Posts
Ecu checks engine rpm and vehicle speed and compares them for slip. That’s the reason some ecus need to know the gearbox wide or close ratios.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts