Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, newbie here. I have recently bought a 2006 Zafira 1.9CDTI (8v, 120). It has covered 70K and seems to run ok, but under steady throttle, in 4th / 5th / 6th gear, the car begins to falter and hold back (as if I'm constantly pumping the throttle pedal and letting off). The problem goes away if I accelerate or take my foot off the throttle, but comes back again under steady throttle (around 1500 - 2K rpm)

I have seen some similar threads but without a resolution. I cleaned the MAP sensor (which was covered in muck) and EGR (which doesn't look to be that old - I think someone has been there before me as one of the EGR bolts was missing) but still no improvement. I will clean the MAF, change the oil and all the filters within the next week or so, and also need to remove / reseal one of the injectors as there's loads of carbon muck around the top of it) Is there anything else I should be looking at? Is this a known problem with a usual cure?

Pedal test showed up the following codes but I'm not sure they are related (is my interpretation right, that the last 2 digits are dropped off to get the real code?). Annoyingly my cheapo code reader doesn't read any of these! I've bought an Opcom so hoping I can clear them and recheck:
062101 - P0621 Alternator L Terminal Circ
181172 - Can Data Bus, ABS System circuit malfunction (The ABS light comes on occasionally but not for the last 50 miles...)
210304 - P2103 Throttle Actuator Ctrl Motor Circ Hi
210306 - P2103 Throttle Actuator Ctrl Motor Circ Hi

If I resolve any of these then I'll be back to post the solution. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I realised through various web research that the hesitation is an EGR-related issue (e.g. the EGR is only active within the problem RPM range). Disconnected the EGR plug and the problem went away (although the service light came on), reconnected the EGR and the problem came back.

I removed the throttle/flap body and scraped as much muck out of the inlet manifold as possible, but the problem persisted. Cleaned the MAF but still no better. After that I emptied a can of carb cleaner into the intake (with the air filter removed and engine running) and low and behold the problem was much better. Still some minor hesitation but much much better. Next I forced a DPF regen using the Opcom (as it was 95% saturated) and now the problem appears to be completely gone!

I'm planning to fit an EGR restrictor plate (not completely blanked as I don't really want the service light coming on) so this should slow the build up of muck in the inlet manifold from now on.

Regarding fault codes, I cleared them all and only the "062101 - P0621 Alternator L Terminal Circ" has come back. I'll post back if I manage to resolve it.

Hopefully this is useful to someone!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts