Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have a 2006 Zafira 1.9 CDTi 50k on the clock. The spanner light has been on and it then made a whooshing noise like a steam train with loss of power - limped home and the EML light came on . Found a rubber pipe that runs into the exhaust ? DPF unit had blown and melted - also a similar blown rubber pipe that goes to a sensor attached to the left side of the fuel filter near the bulk head. My OP COM is down at the moemnt - reformatted my hard drive and cant find the disc. Doing the peddle test got 227911, 7071, 40004, 190158, 19010F. I replced the hoses and it wont start. If I disconnect the hoses is runs bady with the steam engine noise - loads of air ? exhaust gas coming out the small pipe from the DPF. I'm guessing the DPF is sooted right up - is it the small or larger can type lump in the exhaust. Anyone tried shoving a bar or drill through the thing to stop it blocking up again?

Any ideas folks? Ta Neil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well got it running again. Nothing you would seen in a Haynes manual though!!
Drilled a small 12mm hole through the DPF ceramic core. Reconnected everything but wouldn't start until I removed the front sensor from the DPF - then serious pressure exhaust gas came out and the car would run, reconnect doesn't run!

So I figured the DPF/cat must be blocked up good and proper. So removed all the DPF core and made a hole through the Cat core. Reconnected and runs a treat (so far). MOT due shortly so will see what happens. Probably needs a new DPF (costly) but needed the car running while I source one. Will be interested in what the MOT shows up!

Anyone tried anything similar - any opinions on how long is the DPF supposed to last?

Perplexed - Neil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starts easier than it used to and has more get up and go too! Recommend a half inch iron bar and a lump hammer (non-vauxhall parts) :)

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I saw a post about removing the DPF and cleaning it with a caustic soda solution, but your method seems easier! Be interesting to see if it affects your emmisions test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoping it will pass - I think the DPF doesn't affect the emmisions, the CAT has more to do with emmisions as I understand - MOT due this month - will post the outcome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car went into DPF regen stopped it by telling it a new DPF was fitted via OPCOM
Got Ben of MAS performance to remap it so ECU no longer sees DPF or EGR - runs sweet
Just passed MOT
SOrted (I hope)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts