Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 07 1.6 zafira b. Had the cam cover changed last October due to breather problems. The new one has leaked oil out of the front consistently. Especially down and around the front left corner near to the timing sensor/half moon timing cover. Recently the same garage took it back off and reseated it using some silicone gasket to. But it is still leaking in that corner. But not as bad in other areas. Does it need to be reseated with a particular liquid sealant in addition to the rubber gasket to allow for any warping. Does it seem likely it is due to warp / not enough gasket seal that causing the issue? Any help most grateful

·
Worn Out Member
8,046 Posts
Was it a genuine/oem cover or an aftermarket copy ?

·
Worn Out Member
8,046 Posts
Ah ok,sounds as though you've bought a cheepy copy then,
it depends how your luck goes but looks as though you've bought a bad one

·
Registered
137 Posts
You have a china part - theres your answer. Buy cheap buy twice. They are known for leaking - for rockers and gasket only use a genuine vauxhall one.

You have a Z16XEP as per your previous post, this is what you need.
No sealant needed as is a dry seal as per factory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seen lots people using sealant too but others say not to. I have bought two of them and it says customers had purchased never had an issue.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Seen lots people using sealant too but others say not to. I have bought two of them and it says customers had purchased never had an issue.
Comes from the factory without sealant bud is a dry seal - if the sealant nips off and gets into the head will cause problems. A really thin smear around the face is okay

·
Worn Out Member
8,046 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
It must be true then :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
In the words of Christine Keeler (or was it Mandy Rice-Davies), "Well, he would say that, wouldn't he?"
Blimey, now I'm really showing my age!

Reactions: Valer

·
Registered
364 Posts
I didn't buy from vauxhall it was amazon as vh ones were very expensive.
Been there, did that. Followed by a massive oil leak. Then bought Vx cover with Vx seal for a ridiculous money. But it solved my problem. The final bill could be cheaper if I didn't buy cheap in the first instance.

It is OK to use a really thin amount on the corner with the cam bridge. THIN and rtv of a good quality. The face MUST be properly cleaned, without any scratches, and properly degreased using something that does not leave any residues. DO NOT touch the face and the seal with your fingers - they are greasy. If you touch - degrease. Use correct torque for tightening the screws using correct tightening order.

It is simple but demanding a.n...l accuracy job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts