Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My Zafira failed MOT and one of failures is "corroded front offside brake pipe".
I've found replacement pipe on e-bay, but seller states it's copper.
Thing is that when I asked google if copper brake pipes are legal to use, the answer confused me.
It looks in some countries it's illegal to fit copper brake pipes because they like to crack. Now I'm not sure if in the UK they are legal? Won't it be that I'll fit new pipe and it will fail MOT because it's copper?
I know that there is CuNiFer alloy, and I could buy the pipe, but I would have to buy the unions, flaring tool and make it on my own. That would cost probably twice more then copper pipe I've mentioned before (which already is more expensive then would expect).
So the questions are:

1. Is Copper pipe legal to use in the UK and will it pass MOT?
2. What are dimensions of unions needed to attach to the pipes?
3. What is the length of the pipe parts for Zafira A with ABS? (someone on amazon is selling flared pipes by length)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi,
My Zafira failed MOT and one of failures is "corroded front offside brake pipe".
I've found replacement pipe on e-bay, but seller states it's copper.
Thing is that when I asked google if copper brake pipes are legal to use, the answer confused me.
It looks in some countries it's illegal to fit copper brake pipes because they like to crack. Now I'm not sure if in the UK they are legal? Won't it be that I'll fit new pipe and it will fail MOT because it's copper?
I know that there is CuNiFer alloy, and I could buy the pipe, but I would have to buy the unions, flaring tool and make it on my own. That would cost probably twice more then copper pipe I've mentioned before (which already is more expensive then would expect).
So the questions are:

1. Is Copper pipe legal to use in the UK and will it pass MOT?
2. What are dimensions of unions needed to attach to the pipes?
3. What is the length of the pipe parts for Zafira A with ABS? (someone on amazon is selling flared pipes by length)

Yes it'll pass. i did mine in half steel and half copper as that's whats commonly fitted.

·
18,018 Posts
My kit car had every brake line formed out of copper - it's 🙂 👌

Reactions: Hilary16v

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
The problem with brass or copper pipes is not whether it will or wont fail the MOT. It will pass BUT both copper and brass harden up over a period of time due to vibrations. When working copper or brass it has to be annealed to soften it so that it can be formed. The forming process hardens the metal so the annealing process has to be repeated. Think of the vehicle vibrations as the working and hardening of the metal. Whether that would happen in the lifetime of your vehicle I wouldn't know, it really is just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all answers - they're all very helpful.
I've watched some videos about flaring brake pipes and decided to make it on my own.
So now I'm waiting for flaring tool from Amazon. Halfords sells unions and copper pipe.
I'm just confused with one thing - flaring tools are capable of doing single-flare and double-flare.
But I the brake pipes can be DIN or SAE - where bubble shape is DIN and cone shape is SAE.
In terms of Zafira I believe it's "bubble" shape flare, but how this all is related to names written on flaring tool: Single or Double-flare? Or maybe they're not related ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally I would never use 100% copper (in case that's what you are planning). The usual solution to problems of pure copper is to use Cupronickel like this (Link) often called Cunifer/Kunifer.

That has much preferred properties. Have read here: Link

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dgoth, I'll consider to use Cunifer pipe - even mentioned that it first post, but guys on forum suggesting the copper is good enough.

·
Premium Member
4,246 Posts
Copper pipe is fine as long as it is properly clipped in place and cannot vibrate. The biggest problem is that it will seize in the nuts after a while (12 months or so), stopping you removing it again.

Reactions: amikot59
1 - 9 of 9 Posts