Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an issue with car going into limp mode every time it starts, plugged in OBD2 and said I had a misfire on cylinder 3 so didn't move car for a while, we were moving house and had to get it jumped by RAC who plugged it in and said I had an ignition coil problem.

Anyway got to new house eventually, fully recharged battery, but whilst it was charging I removed the ignition coil, gave the area a general clean and replaced it, also cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner spray.

Plugged battery back in and now all 4 cylinders are misfiring and car will not even idle.

Any help and advice is appreciated as bit of a newbie with engines and also anxious about being ripped off by garages (it's been in a few times and problem never solved).

Was thinking I should get a new or refurb coil pack (£50 eBay) and change the sparks whilst I'm at it.

Or

Bite the bullet and give to Vauxhall who will charge me £100 just to diagnose.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
639 Posts
Read errors by pedal method. Coil pack was genuine or crap aftermarket? Z22YH have big issues with high pressure fuel pump. Also e10 will eat its rubber in an instant, if you tank once e10, kiss goodbye 500 pounds.

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,453 Posts
Used (or refurb) coil pack is ok, make sure it's got a warranty, but it must be genuine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read errors by pedal method. Coil pack was genuine or crap aftermarket? Z22YH have big issues with high pressure fuel pump. Also e10 will eat its rubber in an instant, if you tank once e10, kiss goodbye 500 pounds.

What's E10?

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Fuel. 1st September unleaded became E10. The direct won't be able to handle too much of it before the diaphragms get eaten away in the high pressure fuel pump. Your car is on the list that should not use E10 fuel.

You will still be able to buy E5 fuel for a few more years but you will be paying top dollar

Google E10 fuel for more info

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,453 Posts
What's E10?
Your car needs to run premium unleaded (tesco momentum, esso synergy, shell whatever its called now) which will be remaining as E5 (up to 5% ethanol - Esso has zero) and available for the foreseeable future.
It (your cars engine) is incompatible with E10, which is up to 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yup confirmed on Gov website.

I wonder why it's just that Vauxhall model and if unleaded has been damaging the car up to now?

I have to say it has not been very reliable at all. I know it's an older car but even garages can't find the issue that's causing the limp mode.
Product Font Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
It's to do with the high pressure fuel pump. Only the direct has it. The rubber seals can't handle the ethanol.

M32 gearbox and the hpfp are the enemy of the Direct.

·
16,186 Posts
I did read on a Facebook group that the rubber seals can be replaced with an upgraded viton version but don't have any further details.

Reactions: vince bolam
1 - 10 of 10 Posts