1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66PLATE
1.4 Turbo

Hello

I noticed that after running the car on idle [during de-icing], there was a strange rattle
I've taken a recording of it

A mechanic had a quick listen, and he says it sounds like the timing chain is slapping?
We had a history of p0011 faults, which were resolved with changed oil - but i had not noticed this noise before

Note: after the car was up to temperature the noise went away. And it doesnt happen on start up, but after 2 or 3 mins on idle after cold startup (when the car is idling as I am de-icing)

Do you have any thoughts on what this could be?

With many thanks

Ross

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sounds like timing chain to me,
Tensioners not got the pressure from cold, oil thicker but after a couple of minutes it starts to get thinner/warmer and tensioner gains the tension
I would get it looked it asap to ensure it does not jump of snap.

Normally happens if oil changes are missed or the incorrect oil put in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the reply.
Would you have any idea as to why the noise doesn’t occur for a couple of minutes? It doesn’t sound like that straight away, it took a good 2 or 3 mins before the noise occurred

I will book it in, though!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi!

Had a chance to have another look today.

It seems to be the plastic lid that rattles when the engine gets to a specific temperature.

In new the video below i started the car from cold, and it took around 8.5 mins for the sound to return!

I then pressed on the plastic lid (the bit that says eco-tec) and the rattle totally stops!

A mechanic had ‘opened up’ the lid to have a look when we were getting the repeated p0011 code.

Do you think that the casing hasn’t been put back on properly? I can wiggle it about a bit when then engine isn’t running.

Also, what are your thoughts as to why it takes over 8mins for the rattle to appear. Is it because as the engine warms up it vibrates at different rates?

Do have a look at the video below if you can. The rattle appears just after 8mins

Thanks again for all your help!

·
14,538 Posts
Our Corsa did the same. Ended up wedging in a bit of thin plastic from a Coke bottle to stop it.

Reactions: sean/astra

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know that it’s not uncommon.

I was wondering - what do you make of the startup noise?

A mechanic said to me that he thought there was timing chain rattle / slap back when I first start it up?

·
14,538 Posts
Was that from a cold start because that sounds like timing chain rattle before oil pressure has built for the first second or so?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea it was from a cold start
Only does it on cold start, never once warm.

Is that normal?

·
14,538 Posts
No, sounds like the tensioner is taking too long to pressurise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it need to a trip to the garage?

Assuming that getting to the tensioner can’t be done without a fair amount of engine dismantling?

·
Registered
2003 Vauxhall Astra G 1.6 8v Active.
682 Posts
Also, what are your thoughts as to why it takes over 8mins for the rattle to appear. Is it because as the engine warms up it vibrates at different rates?
That sounds like a logical explanation to me. I bet 99% of people that dont 'listen' to their cars wouldn't even hear it! Problem is, once you've head it......it really bugs you! Try loicarpkeeper recommendation of a wedge of some form.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Was wondering if anyone else had any advice on the cold startup noise? [watch first few seconds of video]

From googling, i understand this is common with the Astra K diesel - but i've got a 1.4 petrol.
The noise last for a second then goes - i dont notice any rattle in normal drive - and the rattle only occurs on cold start

thanks for your advice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts