Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, my 1.7 ZafB (50K miles) has thrown a spanner warning light yesterday. I scanned it with my Foxwell, code description was Glow Device General Fault.

I cleared the fault, expecting it would come back, and it has.

Am i right in thinking Glow Plug fault? I have never changed them, and the car isnt having any problems starting.

The only thing recently I have done, in that "area" is changed the fuel and oil filters.

Bosch glow plugs come in at £60 for 4 in Euro Car parts. Anything else before I buy them?

Thanks!

Kev

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Ive got a 1.9 zafira. When the glow plugs started failing on mine the eml never illuminated. But a code was stored 038008. If you have a multimeter you can check each glow plug in turn. There are videos on youtube showing how to do this. If it is a failed glow plug and it sounds like they may be the original ones fitted. You are as well to replace them all at once.

Bill

·
Worn Out Member
6,444 Posts
Mmm,glow device general error doesn't give much away,
it could be plugs,wiring,glow plug controller etc,i'd start by checking the fuses (FB2,FE30)

Reactions: awol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill - Yeah thats what im thinking, just change the lot. No point going through this again in 6 months.

Id say they are the original glow plugs. We had the car when it only had 8k on the clock.

Out of interest, 50K miles about right for the lifespan of a glowplug, or just luck of the draw?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm,glow device general error doesn't give much away,
it could be plugs,wiring,glow plug controller etc,i'd start by checking the fuses (FB2,FE30)
Thanks for the reply Valer.

I guess if i'm getting voltage to the leads that would eliminate the fuse, ill check that first.

If i clear the fault, it doesnt return instantly, takes a few start / stops before it comes back, which made me think one of the plugs is going high / low resistance and causing the tolerance, im not sure on the Zafira if its a "common" live for the plugs, hence it not knowing if an individual plug has failed?

·
Worn Out Member
6,444 Posts
Those plugs are fed in pairs 1&2,3&4

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ok cool, ill take a peek this weekend.

The relay unit, is that in the fuse box or separate?

·
Worn Out Member
6,444 Posts
I'm fairly sure it's tucked down between the slam panel and battery

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok cheers Valer ill take a peek the weekend :)

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Mine were originals when i changed them so about 11 years and 100k when they started failing but i suppose their longevity depends on different factors. I changed each one as it failed because im a tightwad lol. It took 12 months for the final one to go.

Bill

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Slightly off topic, but i wonder if OpCom would give me a better idea of whats wrong?

·
Worn Out Member
6,444 Posts
Opcom will give you 2 options ,high or low voltage,but you'll still have to test ?

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
I remember using opcom to confirm the pedal test code but i dont think it helped more than that but i am in no way an expert with its uses.

Bill

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so, im going to change the plugs next weekend.

Anyone here had any experience with the 1.7 and changing plugs? Am hoping they dont snap...

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Not done the 1.7 but it should be the same as the 1.9. Get some plusgas or similar several days before you intend to do them. Make sure you have the correct sized deep socket . Get the engine nice and warm. Take your time and dont force them. If you snap them its a whole heap of work. If one wont come out retighten it and take the car for a spin and get it nice and hot and retry it. Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Bill.

Im hoping that, due to it being the isuzu engine and only 56k on the clock ill have half a chance.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Mine undid okay but one or two wouldnt pull out because of the carbon build up on the tips. Tightened them back up. Took it for a spin and tried again with a toasty engine . Popped right out then.

Bill

1 - 18 of 17 Posts