Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On acceleration of mostly 2/3/4 there is a pinking sound going on so the garage think it is.
they told me to use shell v power in stead of supermarket fuel and that might fix it if not might be a knock sensor all guessing.

im waiting to run the tank down before trying that just wondering if there a known issue to cause this ?

its the xe1 engine petrol 85k

·
15,923 Posts
1.6?
Around the time the EGR channels get blocked up causing all sorts of problems. There's a sticky thread on here with pictures showing what needs to be checked.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1.6?
Around the time the EGR channels get blocked up causing all sorts of problems. There's a sticky thread on here with pictures showing what needs to be checked.
sorry yes the 1.6. 85k. Serviced last year. oil/filters, plugs etc

I see I will have a look to see if its a diy job. would that cause this issue ?

The actual egr on the side of the block has never been changed either.

I scanned some live data that may help change the file extension from .txt to .csv to view

With any luck someone who understands what to look for in live data may be able to find out whats up.

I've filled up with shell v power (97 octane) and done about 13 miles and has made no difference.

I did notice the intake air temperature is 48oc and the ambient temp is 30oc is this normal in the current heat we are getting or does this point to an issue with the sensor on the air duct ?

the colour of the spark plugs are white

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Popped it in to the garage today and they have a look and said it’s definitely pinking said no vac leaks.

he did say its a needle in a haystack and they cant book it in till august to do live data.

he said start with whats cheap and try new spark plugs as they are cheapest.

bump on above post if any has time to look at the live data.

·
Premium Member
15,738 Posts
Tried looking at you data but for some reason it wont convert to csv correctly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No worky,.. try again
Third time lucky

Not that I think its related to my issue here but I always think fix what you know is goosed just incase, never know with cars. Changed the brake light switch just now and cleared the fault. (that was a fun hour) got some great pics to make a how-to soon to come. Brake lights worked fine but the system detected a fault been like that a few years! But lights have always worked so added it to the list. Disconnected the battery to reset anything too then will test it later.

edit: made no difference sadly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Changed the spark plugs this morning and took if for a 20 min drive and its slightly better but still there.

Considering changing the plugs helped a bit I wonder if the fault lies within the coil pack on the verge of going but under the threshold to trigger a engine light, the coil pack was bought from eurocarparts back in 2017 I don't know what brand for the life of me.

That said I don't want to chuck parts and money at it. The plugs needed doing well in August, but there about and the brake light switch as well.

I'm wondering if anything seem stands out for my last two posts that may help or the live data.

The local garage said they can do a carbon clean if I think it may be blocked for £55 which takes a few hours. Never heard of it and wondered if its a good idea ?

·
15,923 Posts
A carbon clean will clean your wallet but do nothing to clear the EGR channels if they are already blocked.

Reactions: Alan G H

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A carbon clean will clean your wallet but do nothing to clear the EGR channels if they are already blocked.
I’ll avoid wasting money on that. Theres no associated error codes with a blocked egr channel showing but I’m guessing you don't always get them.

The garage that had a look said the rear bush on my control arm had completely detached (booked in to get that done) ..he recommended doing both sides. I’m wondering if that could cause that type of sound.

that said i’m not sure it does if its a little quieter after doing the spark plugs.

Had a look at my coil pack and I dont believe its a delphi one as they have the name on it near the harness end. I don’t know if these engines have issues with cheaper coil packs.

I’m waiting on a quote for the inlet manifold channels worth getting done from the sound of it. He said its not likely i’ll get much change from £350.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So after changing the plugs is made a bit of difference but not as easy to pink but still there.

I decided to shoot the parts cannon at a new delphi coil pack as I had a haas one which I've read can cause issues on this engine. That made no difference. pffft.

New air filter was put in as it was due, not in too bad a condition. Two new delphi wishbones as well, a bush was detached did wonder if that could be the issue of the noise but not that. All these things needed doing except the coil pack which was just a shot.

local usual garage said they haven't got a clue and suggested going to vauxhall, who said it will be £110 to look at in end of August.

The garage mentioned the drop links twist left and right without much force but not knocking/worn on the ball joint. They don't make the noise I have he said.

He said he's fairly sure it must be engine related but doesn't sound like transmission issues. He said he would expect a pre detention error code or something but nothing is there.

Or save that diagnostic fee and put it towards to egr channels and hope for the best. He said his diagnostic machine says the egr gasses are flowing. I did wonder if its flowing enough or partially blocked.

He mentioned the knock sensor was reading ok.

Had a look at my egr valve and it looks like one of the bolt is stupidly corroded and will crumble literally coming off, did think maybe worth cleaning that.

One thing I noticed today after the air filter change maybe even before I can't be sure is when you press the gas pedal theres a little gasp or pus of air.

Just thought I'd post an update.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Car came back from the garage and the official report the engine hunts intermittently, and he says there is excess vacuum at the oil filler cap and reckon its a faulty breather assembly which is part of the rocker cover.

Two and a half hours labour for this check over.

Not sure I agree With the engine running the oil filler cap comes off without any resistance and there is no whistling sounds from the port hole on the left under the vauxhall sign.

Is there any other checks i could do to check this ?

He reckons this hunting could cause my issue, and thinks when I changed the plugs I may have disturbed something causing the noise to lessen.

in the report also states no error codes, live data as expected, knock control active, exhaust emissions correct. 02 sensors working and reading fine.

He apologised for having nothing really concrete.

Although the root cause of this mild hunting has never been found. Maybe worth cleaning the throttle body ? But that wouldn’t cause my issue well I don’t think

1 - 14 of 14 Posts