Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Would really appreciate if somebody could point me in the right direction.

I have the code p2279 Air Intake Leak code coming up on my 08 Zafira with Z19DTH engine. I also have very little power below 2000 rev but this is intermittent.

So I've been searching about and found the EGR valves gunk up on these. So I've given that a clean this morning but this hasn't worked. I've also cleaned the boost sensor as that was caked. I've just given it a run with the EGR valve disconnected and the code cleared and although it did feel a bit more powerful, the code still came back.

Swirl flaps seem to be actuating as they should.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I've just read about checking the pipes from the turbo solenoid which is apparently down behind the bumper on the right but I'm having trouble locating it.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Check all intake pipes, turbo intercooler pipes etc for splits or faulty hose connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check all intake pipes, turbo intercooler pipes etc for splits or faulty hose connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply Grant. I've just realised something. When I put the EGR valve back earlier, there was only one gasket. The one between the valve and the engine.

There was no gasket between the exhaust pipe and the valve.

Could this cause this problem?

Also, could you point me in the direction of which pipes I should check?

Sorry to be a pain. I'm only really just getting into this kind of stuff.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,142 Posts
If the gasket is missing then it can cause P2279, also check the air filter, the pipes you need to check are the big black boost hoses, 1 goes from intercooler to throttle body, it runs up along the side of the battery and is easy to check for splits, the other runs from turbo to intercooler which is a bit more awkward to check, also check the small vacuum pipethat comes out of the vacuum pump and joins onto a small metal pipe, this rubber pipe is known for splitting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the gasket is missing then it can cause P2279, also check the air filter, the pipes you need to check are the big black boost hoses, 1 goes from intercooler to throttle body, it runs up along the side of the battery and is easy to check for splits, the other runs from turbo to intercooler which is a bit more awkward to check, also check the small vacuum pipethat comes out of the vacuum pump and joins onto a small metal pipe, this rubber pipe is known for splitting.
Thanks for the help both. Checked these pipes and all seem fine. Took the grill off and couldn't see anything obvious.

I guess my next move would be to get new gaskets for the EGR valve to rule that out. My local parts shop don't sell them on their own though. Only with the valve.

Id happily blow £100ish quid on a EGR valve but don't really fancy it until I'm sure it's definitely the problem.

Thanks for the help again

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all

So I've had some success. I gave the EGR a good clean. Took the solenoid off and opened the valve and cleaned as much as I could. Fitted it back and nothing changed. The next day, the light went off on its own and the car was driving lovely.

Now, a few weeks on, the light has come back on and I've lost a bit of power. I've cleaned the valve again yesterday but issue remains.

I'm almost 100% the EGR valve is to blame. I was wondering what you guys think before I go and spend some money on a new one.

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know people on here go on about cleaning their EGR valves but I think it's better to replace it with a new (genuine Pierburg) one. Sometimes the valve can be sticking internally and no amount of carb cleaning will free it up. I once saw a video of some guy completely dismantling his EGR to fix the problem but it was a lot of hassle and it's actually quite easy to break it. Better to just get a new one for peace of mind in my personal opinion.

If it's been a long time since any problems, then it does sound more like the EGR valve to me than anything else. I bought a new Pierburg one off eBay for around £70-ish. I still have to fit it lol but buying it online is cheaper than going to a Vauxhall dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.