Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have been having issues with my car the past 2 - 3 weeks.

It is a Black 2003 (53) Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI (Engine Z17DTL), 132,000 Miles.

I have had an issue where I was driving along and then went to request a bit more power to go up a slip road and then then was a metal clank sound, looked at rear view mirror and a small bit of smoke, more of a puff than a constant trail behind me.

The car/spanner light was the only light illuminated. Tried pressing accelerator and nothing so engine has cut out and can't restart whist moving. I restarted and was able to drive just about by pressing accelerator very gently but did hear the occasional clank sound and it jolted a little when this happened and then it died again.
Got the car home and removed pipe that goes from Intercooler to Air Intake Butterfly and it was looking like this:

The mechanic has cleaned this out, the EGR and the pipe that goes to the inlet manifold as this was caked up. The car was fine for a week and a half and wasn't cutting out anymore.

Then yesterday it cut out again, before it was cleaned out it did it 2 - 3 times a day and then to go for a week and a half driving fine and to then cut out again, you can imagine my frustration.

I have opcom so plugged this in and there was some codes stored.

Injector Circuit 2, 3 and 4 high (Not Present)
Low Capacitor Voltage (Not Present)

When the car cuts out the spanner light comes on but then when the car comes to a stop then all ignition lights come on as if it is in position 2. when connecting OPCOM there is the NOT PRESENT faults but no new current ones as I think its intermittent so by the time the car rolls to a stop its cleared.

The butterfly is fully open when the engine is off and then when ignition is on position 2, you can hear a whine from it as if its ready to initialise and then when engine is started the flap is about 5% open, almost closed on idle.

I am at a loss on what to try next so would appreciate anything to try. I have OPCOM and these are the readings with the engine off.

This is the first time it has happened but on the last occurance last night my key had lost sync with the car for locking. I had to put the key in ignition and whilst holding open/close turn the key to position 2 and the locks locked and unlocked to confirm resync.

OPCOM ENGINE OFF

OP-COM 100219a - PC based diagnostic tool
Date and time> 24/09/2016. 11:2732
Workshop information:
Selected model> 2003 (3) Astra-G Engine Z 17 DTL
Control Unit:
Keyword #1: EF
Keyword #2: 8F
Normal timing parameter set.
VIN: EDITED TO REMOVE VIN
vehicleManufacturerECUHardwareNumber 24467018 LN
systemSupplierECUHardwareNumber: BOS 012272
systemSupplierECUSoftwareNumber: B314720001
systemSupplierECUSoftwareVersionNumber: 0001
exhaustRegulationOrTypeApprovalNumber: B03003
systemNameOrEngineType: Z17DTL
RepairShopCodeOrTesterSerialNumber: BOSCH
ProgrammingDate: FFFFFFFF
Identifier: 2201
Measuring blocks information:
Battery Voltage 12.2 V
Ignition Status On 12V
APP Sensor 1 (Accelerator Pedal Position) 0%
APP Sensor 1 (Accelerator Pedal Position) 0.97 V
APP Sensor 2 (Accelerator Pedal Position) 0%
APP Sensor 2 (Accelerator Pedal Position) 0.49 V
Barometric Pressure 100 kPa
Barometric Pressure 3.98 V
Boost Pressure Command 107 kPa
Boost Pressure 101 kPa
Boost Pressure 1.91 V
Mass Air Flow Sensor 3.277 mg/strk
Mass Air Flow Sensor 1.02 V
Intake Air Temperature 33 °C
Intake Air Temperature 2.31 V
Coolant Temperature 20 °C
Coolant Temperature 3.40 V
Desired Common Rail Fuel Pressure 24.00 MPa
Common Rail Fuel Pressure 0.00 MPa
Common Rail Fuel Pressure 0.48 V
Rail Pressure Control Valve Pulse Ratio 276%
Engine Speed 0 RPM
Desired Injection Quantity 26.7 mm3
Actual Injection Quantity 26.7 mm3
Injection Pulse 0.0 ms
Pilot Injection Time 0.0 ms
Brake Switch 1 Inactive
Brake Switch 2 Inactive
Clutch Switch Inactive
Throttle Position Switch Active
Pulse Ratio Throttle Control Solenoid Valve 13%
Pulse Ratio Boost Pressure Solenoid Valve 95.00%
Swirl Plate Position Switch Inactive
Swirl Level Control Solenoid Valve Pulse Ratio 90.00%
EGR Position Feedback (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) 0.00%
EGR Position Feedback (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) 1.21 V
EGR Pulse Ratio (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) 90%
Capacitor Voltage 1 2.0 V
A/C Information Switch (Air Conditioning) Inactive
A/C Relay (Air Conditioning) Inactive
A/C Pressure (Air Conditioning) 259 kPa
Fan Relay 1 Inactive
Fan Relay 2 Inactive
Glow Time Relay Inactive
Diagnosis Glow Time Relay Active
Glow Time Telltale Off
Service Vehicle Soon (SVS) Indicator Off
Malfunction Indicator (MI) On
Cruise Control Tip Switch Not Programmed
Vehicle Speed 0 km/h
Immobiliser Function Programmed Yes
Security Wait Time Inactive

OPCOM ENGINE RUNNING (IDLE)

OP-COM 100219a - PC based diagnostic tool
Date and time> 24/09/2016. 11:2832
Workshop information:
Selected model> 2003 (3) Astra-G Engine Z 17 DTL
Control Unit:
Keyword #1: EF
Keyword #2: 8F
Normal timing parameter set.
VIN: EDITED TO REMOVE VIN
vehicleManufacturerECUHardwareNumber 24467018 LN
systemSupplierECUHardwareNumber: BOS 012272
systemSupplierECUSoftwareNumber: B314720001
systemSupplierECUSoftwareVersionNumber: 0001
exhaustRegulationOrTypeApprovalNumber: B03003
systemNameOrEngineType: Z17DTL
RepairShopCodeOrTesterSerialNumber: BOSCH
ProgrammingDate: FFFFFFFF
Identifier: 2201
Measuring blocks information:
Battery Voltage 13.3 V
Ignition Status On 12V
APP Sensor 1 (Accelerator Pedal Position) 0%
APP Sensor 1 (Accelerator Pedal Position) 0.98 V
APP Sensor 2 (Accelerator Pedal Position) 0%
APP Sensor 2 (Accelerator Pedal Position) 0.49 V
Barometric Pressure 100 kPa
Barometric Pressure 3.98 V
Boost Pressure Command 100 kPa
Boost Pressure 100 kPa
Boost Pressure 1.89 V
Mass Air Flow Sensor 438 mg/strk
Mass Air Flow Sensor 2.17 V
Intake Air Temperature 28 °C
Intake Air Temperature 2.52 V
Coolant Temperature 20 °C
Coolant Temperature 3.38 V
Desired Common Rail Fuel Pressure 24.00 MPa
Common Rail Fuel Pressure 23.76 MPa
Common Rail Fuel Pressure 1.03 V
Rail Pressure Control Valve Pulse Ratio 340%
Engine Speed 850 RPM
Desired Injection Quantity 9.4 mm3
Actual Injection Quantity 9.4 mm3
Injection Pulse 1.4 ms
Pilot Injection Time 0.7 ms
Brake Switch 1 Inactive
Brake Switch 2 Inactive
Clutch Switch Inactive
Throttle Position Switch Active
Pulse Ratio Throttle Control Solenoid Valve 13%
Pulse Ratio Boost Pressure Solenoid Valve 95.00%
Swirl Plate Position Switch Inactive
Swirl Level Control Solenoid Valve Pulse Ratio 90.00%
EGR Position Feedback (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) 0.00%
EGR Position Feedback (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) 1.21 V
EGR Pulse Ratio (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) 90%
Capacitor Voltage 1 806.1 V
A/C Information Switch (Air Conditioning) Inactive
A/C Relay (Air Conditioning) Inactive
A/C Pressure (Air Conditioning) 284 kPa
Fan Relay 1 Inactive
Fan Relay 2 Inactive
Glow Time Relay Active
Diagnosis Glow Time Relay Inactive
Glow Time Telltale Off
Service Vehicle Soon (SVS) Indicator Off
Malfunction Indicator (MI) Off
Cruise Control Tip Switch Not Programmed
Vehicle Speed 0 km/h
Immobiliser Function Programmed Yes
Security Wait Time Inactive

·
"Red One.."
2,875 Posts
Hard to tell from the vid really but could easily be injector knock making that noise - it'd all tie up too, injector knock due to injectors switching off, cutting out, fault codes for injectors and capacitor (that provides opening voltage for them).

Physical engine damage wouldn't necessarily just make it cut out like that. As Andy says, if the ECM capacitor is failing it'll give these symptoms and would require and new unit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apologies Steven, I forgot to add an update. since it broke down after the the cleaning out as soon as i start it, it idles ok, but as soon as i go to rev it makes a clank sound and some really stinky diesel puff of smoke came out of exhaust and it then dies.

When i press the Swirl Flap test button its at 90% and doesn't seem to change and then opcom crashes. it is china clone on win 10, so a bit flaky.

I've searched everywhere online and have seen mention of tumble flaps on the 1.7 as some people say only the 1.9 has the swirl flaps with the rod that can get stuck but for the life of me cannot seem to see (just by looking under front of car and in from the top of engine) the bar that would move similar to the 1.9 unless it doesn't have the bar.

The capacitor reads as just over 800V so this appears to be ok. I am getting a bit too scared to keep starting it as it seemslike it getting worse each time.

I don;t suppose there is anyone near Milton Keynes that knows much about these Z17DTL's ?

·
"Red One.."
2,875 Posts
The 1.7's do have a swirl flap assembly in the manifold, albeit horizontally rotating on a bar that runs through the manifold as opposed to vertically on the 1.9's.

They're operated by a vacuum chamber on the left hand side of the manifold (back of the engine). They're certainly not as troublesome as the 1.9's, although can get clogged up to a degree.

Where was the reading of 800v from.? Common rail injectors normally open at around 80-120v to lift the solenoid off its seat, and then hold/pulse 12v to keep the injection going - I'd certainly be still looking along these lines based on the faults, the diesel smelling smoke and the fact the engine is quiet at tickover.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I see in OPCOM "Capacitor Voltage 1 806.1 V"

From when I started it again earlier to show the neighbour and ti cut out, the key has lost sync with the car again as it wont lock/unlock from fob. I don't understand why all of a sudden this keeps happening, could there be an electrical spike or something that's resetting the key on the ECU when the car is cutting out, the key never used to loose sync with the car. I have had to hold down unlock button with doors closed and turn to position 2 to sync the key, the car locked and unlocked to confirm again.

I have been using OPCOM and did have a DTUK CRD2+ box on the car for a while but removed it and it was still cutting out, i'm worried that it is maybe this thats screwed up the engine.

·
"Red One.."
2,875 Posts
Okies - well that capacitor voltage is out of spec, according to TIS2WEB checking procedures it should read 60-89v - if not the checks are to try and reprogramme the ECM but if that fails the control unit is faulty - which in real world terms I think you're gonna find the case. If I were to guess I'd say the DTUK box has potentially screwed the ECM, as opposed to the engine.

The remote locking fob I would put down to nothing but pure coincidence to be honest, totally unrelated system.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i ran a tuning box on my Z17DTL for a while last year kieron, it made bugger all difference to the power and a couple of times the engine shut down completely (pulling onto a roundabout etc !) and i had to come to a halt and turn the key fully off before it would restart
when i did remove it the power was crap for the first few miles for some reason

·
Premium Member
14,617 Posts
If you look at the lists above then the capacitor reads 2.0v with ignition on and then 806v with engine running, the sound you can hear is diesel knock and im not surprised.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so by reprogramming, I have the security card and pin. is this a reset ecu in opcom and reprogramme that you mean.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just had rac out to confirm codes and if it's bottom end. It's not bottom end and he cleared faults and the only one that's come back in capacitor voltage too low P0200.

Rac chap couldn't locate ecu, looked at back of engine but it wasn't standing out, checked behind bumper and just engine cooling module.

Has any one got a photo that clearly points it out on the z17dtl, I'm struggling to find a photo on Google, there's plenty of the engine but not any that point out ecu location.

I now have the option of trying to reprogram ecu or tomorrow letting a garage look at it with tech 2 as rac man gave me the card of a vauxhall chap up the road. I'm think to leave ecu alone and let garage look at it. Mainly because my opcom occasionally crashes and don't want to be in the situation whereby I wipe it and it doesn't then let me reprogram I'm using 08/2010 with firmware 1.39 clone.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Isn't the Ecu on these located in on the passenger left wing, its quite well hidden so you may have to remove some covers

Also my experience with win 10 and opcom is it isnt stable and will crash a lot, I use mine on a separate laptop I use just for car diagnostics it has win xp, opcom works flawlessly on it, will work fine on win 7 too, just make sure the firmware of your opcom unit is correct and has most stable firmware on it, I've reprogramed ecus, keys, clusters etc with the China clone and had no issues

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK, I plucked up the courage to reset ECU and Immob.

I followed:

Started car and it was ok for a few seconds idleing, the as soon as I touched the accelerator i heard a small clank noise and then turned it off straight away.

Seems the issue is still there. Still getting the low capacitor code too.

This is my ECU and looking on eBay by searching that ECM system name is only bringing up a couple of FIAT ecus on eBay. this isn't looking good.

·
"Red One.."
2,875 Posts
The ECM on these is behind the nearside front wheel arch liner - sounding more and more like a replacement is going to be needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One issue I did have was when clicking Diagnose ECM it returned an error stating "unable to decode make from VIN". so I went into the immobiliser option and reset ECU via that option Body > Immobiliser > Programming/Special Functions.

I then had to do a series of turning ignition off and on several times following the on screen instructions and then the spanner light stopped flashing away and it started and as i stated above after 10 seconds i went to rev it and heard the clank and turned it off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WooHoo . . . got a new ECU lined up that im picking up later, will program it and provide an update :)

Parts numbers obtained from Vauxhall (Bedford) incase anyone has same issues are: VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.7 CDTI ECU (ENGINE MANAGEMENT) - Part No: 24467020 / 0281011153 £881 . . . .. I nearly fell over, think ill get a 2nd hand one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just had callback from scrap yard and my ecu part 24467020 , they have said they have 24467018 that came from a Z17DTL Astra.

Will this be ok ? I will be reprogramming it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.