Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , Ive put a Step by step guide together last nite on fitting a new timing belt kit on a 2009 Astra 1.6 petrol. Ive tried to make everything really clear to suit all skill levels, there a fairly strait forward job. ive done it without the cam locking kit but if your a novice its probably worth getting a kit as there only around £15ish :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is this safe to do ? I was always taught the timing belt was the life line of the car and only ninja masters could touch it !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha , yes it is .. obviously damage could be done if it’s not timed up correctly but if your careful it’s not a bad job for the average Diy’er with abit of mechanical knowledge :)

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
How do you go about timing it up if you’re not sure the pulleys are timed correctly? I’m assuming you need to make sure the crank marks are lined up too? This is how my pulleys currently sit. Had the cam belt done today but I ended coming home with the assistance of a recovery truck 😖

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
The main reason I stopped along with the knocking that appeared to be the pulleys hitting the cover or maybe the belt. But I didn’t start it after I saw the belt half off the tensioner. And yes, the torx heads on the pulley bolts in the first pic are butchered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have they got the tensioner located correctly? if the lugs not located in the hole it would cause the belt to ride off..? ill attach a pdf file of the full procedure from CARweb, it shows all the timing marks etc

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts