1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vauxhall Astra H (Mk5) 2006

1.6 Petrol - Twinport

Z16XEP

Hi, I come here tonight seeking help or two fronts.

I have a P0170 engine running lean fault for the past 6 months. For the past few months the car really struggles in first gear (juddering). I have replaced air filter, oil and filter change, new spark plugs.

Over the past fortnight or so I have noticed a real loss of power. After clearing the code, the eml has finally returned and it brought my old friend p0170 but with company this time, p0201, p0202, p0203m p0204. (cylinder 1 injector circuit, 2 etc etc)

Due to good fortune I have a few days free to try and resolve it. Admittedly a complete novice, I’m in the process of trying to remove the inlet manifold to clean the egr channels hoping to resolve p0170. That’s the first request for help, I’m a little bit stuck and hope you can help me finish the job.

The other question related to the new codes, could they be related to my original fault, or could it be ecu or a fuel related issue?

1. I have removed, air flow, ecu, throttle body and roughly 18 bolts from the inlet manifold. One bolt remains pictured below. Struggling to remove it but will crack at it in the morning again. I would expect with 18 bolts removed that there would be more movement but it seems firmly secured. Am I missing something obvious?

2. Also this brake servo vacuum hose is proving very difficult. I can see a something screw like underneath but can’t get access to it with the design of the unit. Is there another way to remove this?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
15,396 Posts
There might be a support strut attached to the manifold that attaches low down on the block.

Follow the vacuum pipe along and you may find there is a joint under the engine cover.

·
Premium Member
16,282 Posts
I can't remember if the z16xep has the support bracket underneath like the z16xe does. I'll have a look on tis tomorrow. If it does then it's accessed from under the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, please let me know if you need anymore photos. Has anyone got any thoughts on the the p020... codes?

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
The vacuum pipe connector on the inlet manifold has a small black 'button' on the side, push this in and the pipe will pull off,.... there is definitely a support bracket under the manifold, T30 Torx, which will be holding the upper manifold in place, remove it and the upper manifold can be removed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vacuum pipe connector on the inlet manifold has a small black 'button' on the side, push this in and the pipe will pull off,.... there is definitely a support bracket under the manifold, T30 Torx, which will be holding the upper manifold in place, remove it and the upper manifold can be removed.
Thanks Andy, I've taken the inlet manifold off now. I'm at the last hurdle. I think I've removed 7 or bolts but can't work out how to remove the final section. I'm guessing I have to remove the pipe but just can't work out (due to poor visibility and access) how it actually comes off. Any tips?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
There are 2 T30 torx bolts on the joint of the pipe at the egr valve, i normally remove these and then the pipe will come off with the lower section of manifold, the bolts in question can just be seen in your 1st picture above.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are 2 T30 torx bolts on the joint of the pipe at the egr valve, i normally remove these and then the pipe will come off with the lower section of manifold, the bolts in question can just be seen in your 1st picture above.
Cheers Andy, I presume that the two are on the right hand side of the pipe/first picture. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Are you familiar with how i remove the brackets to access the egr channels?

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
Once you remove the lower section of manifold just turn it over, remove the gasket if its stuck to the manifold and you will see the channels carved into the manifold, the first picture also shows the egr pipe still attached to the manifold and shows the end where the 2 T30 have been removed,....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had to down tools for a few weeks but got back to this yesterday.

I have removed the 2 torx screws for the egr pipe and almost any screw or bolt that could possible hold this thing in place. I just can't get it to budge. Is there a mechanism with the metal bar that runs along side with the black support brackets?

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually it seems that mechanism is not related to removing it. Still at a complete loss. A few more pictures from different angles.

On another note, there is a connector with pink markings close to the injectors which I think I might have loosened. Worried that I might have damaged it. Does anyone know what it is?
IMG_20180822_125519.jpg
IMG_20180822_125506.jpg
IMG_20180822_125500.jpg
IMG_20180822_125431.jpg
IMG_20180822_125453.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, there are actually two. The head has a tiny hole on the head of it, I can;t find anything to fit it. It's tiny.
IS THIS 3.png
IS THIS IT.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,282 Posts
Well if all the bolts are out you need to use a mallet to remove the manifold. It's probably just stuck from many years of not being moved.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts