Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes mate you need to remove the manifold which to be honest is a bit easier than the z16xep engine.

·
Premium Member
16,026 Posts
Unfortauntly the pictures are missing so the guide is very confusing but here is the guide for removing the inlet manifold

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Right I have been through the guide and this is my plan(correct me If I am wrong)

1. Disconnect battery
2. I am not thinking of draining coolant and just disconnecting the pipe when it gets to that point. I have seen another guide on here and a youtube video where they didn't bother draining coolant. Correct/Incorrect.
3.Remove windscreen scuttle to allow for space
4. remove ECU from top of Inlet manifold
5. Remove intake manifold. A step before that is to detach brake servo vacuum line (can I do without removing that?)
6. Clean and apply new gasket and put it back together.

regards
Kash

the thread i have been reading in details is
http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/p0171-data-interpretation-needed.387538/

·
Premium Member
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Its not necessary to disconnect the battery, you will have to remove the vacuum line from the manifold, just press the black 'button' on the side of the connector and pull, it will come off, once the inlet manifolds removed you will then need to remove the plate that covers the egr tracts and holes that enter the inlet ports.

·
Registered
253 Posts
thanks Andy. Your tip is highly appreciated.
Am I correct in thinking, the gasket sits under the plate and the tracts will need cleaning in situ.

on a separate note, i went to a so called friendly garage today and asked them to quote me for a job. i am pretty sure i look quite dumb because he told me that it takes him ( a mechanice by trade) 4 hours to do this job and he said its not worth cleaning, just get a new manifold and quoted me 200 billy goats for it. to put a nail in the coffin, the garage is on THE GOOD GARAGE SCHEME. God help people who take their cars there.

·
Premium Member
13,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you bought a new manifold it would not change anything, the egr tracts are a separate item thats sort of bolted to the bottom of the cylinder head as shown by the previous pictures, the only reason you need to remove the manifold is to gain access to the plate that covers the tracts and holes that need cleaning, there is no other way to clean them correctly, he can state whatever he wants but that dont mean he knows what he's doing, god help the good garage scheme.

The 'tracts' are carved into the plate that you will remove so are easily cleaned, the gasket fits between the plate and the cylinder head, it will become obvious when you remove it, just dont forget to poke something through the holes that WILL be blocked that 'feed' the egr gas into the inlet ports, awkward job to do but you must ensure you clean the holes as well as the tracts in the plate.

·
Registered
253 Posts
thanks andy. Hopefully, if the gasket arrives by weekend, I will crack on with the job and post back. I am wondering if I can re-use the same gasket.

·
Premium Member
16,026 Posts
It might have been easier going to a main dealer for the gasket. Eurocarparts are bloody useless from my own experience with them. Hopefully you will get the correct gasket.

·
Registered
253 Posts
part number: 372720501 FAI Inlet Manifold Gasket Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 2007 reg: my reg

the link doesn't work anymore as it is out of stock from eurocarparts.
i have also sent them another email with my VIN and engine info, if you post a pic(if possible) of what should it look like so i can be sure it is the right one it arrives. thanks Mark.

·
Premium Member
16,026 Posts
Just had a quick look at the correct gaskets for your engine and this is what I found. These are the gaskets you will need. Part number 8 looks like its probably re-usable but id just replace it anyway

55559374 - GASKET, INDUCTION MANIFOLD TO CYLINDER HEAD - Part number 8

Image 010.jpg

55559601 - GASKET, ENGINE GAS RECIRCULATION PIPE - Part number 17

Image 011.jpg

55559374 - GASKET, INDUCTION MANIFOLD TO CYLINDER HEAD - Part number 10

Image 014.jpg

@andyl - Can you confirm that the above information is correct. Will all 3 gaskets be needed

·
Registered
253 Posts
Part 10 is exactly what I ordered but have not ordered the other 2. If I need all 3 then i will postpone the job till next weekend to make sure I have all right parts etc. Cheers Marks you are a star. I owe you for your time. I do IT so any IT issues, bounce them my way pal :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
16,026 Posts
Part number 8 looks like its re-usable to me. It just looks like a rubber seal. Part number 17 looks like it should be replaced but im sure AndyL will confirm. Chances are it can be re-used too but I like to replace it if it looks like its not re-usable. Nothing worse than having to redo a job for the sake of a gasket.

The gasket you have ordered is the correct one.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts