Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Z13DTJ ECU/Electrical issues

16K views 31 replies 5 participants last post by  John Bags 
#1 ·
To start at the beginning I have a Corsa D 1.3CDTI with the z13dtj engine in, it appeared to have water ingress in the ECU as it wouldn't start and was blowing fuse 20. I had it looked over and was told it was knackered, I couldn't read it to get any data from it.

I bought a replacement ECU (same model 603) along with the BCM, Clocks, Indicator switches and ignition immobiliser ring and swapped them over. The scrapyard owner said the SDM wasn't needed and at £80 extra I took his word for it.

The car started and ran for a while but it had the car with a spanner light illuminated, then the F lights came up on the dash and it cut out. Now whenever the F is on the dash (seems to reset after a while) the car won't start. I have had someone have a look at it with an opcom (cheap version as far as I can tell) and when he goes to settings and test interface it also seems to reset the F.

So as things are I can read the donor ECU and BCM but not the donor IPC or original SDM,
before I got the original ECU looked at and swapped it all I could read the SDM so I assume the SDM is OK and just needs coding maybe, but I am confused as to why I wouldn't be able to read the donor IPC as that should be coded to the donor ECU already. I have just done a straight swap so far, there are fault codes but I haven't cleared them yet or tried to code anything.

Basically I was hoping someone could offer some advice, does it all just need coding together by someone with an authentic opcom? Is the SDM interchangeable or do I need the one off the donor car? Also it seems the donor car had A/C, which mine doesn't, could that cause any issues?

Any help would be appreciated and if it does need recoding how much would I be looking at paying and is anyone on here in the Cheshire area available to do it?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Fred, it's looking that way unless I can find someone locally that can recode a used ECU but the only guy I can find around here said he's never done a Marelli ECU and it'd be easier buying the whole kit. It's all just a bit more vague than it needs to be it seems and even the scrapyards who deal in this kind of thing regularly aren't sure which bits are needed. :(

#4 ·
I'm surprised it started and ran without the SDM from the donor car.

A/C can be removed by changing the variant coding.

Reactions: Fred Bassett
#5 ·
Yeah it's running without the donor SDM, I left mine in with no coding or reset and it started but it cuts out every now and then while driving with F on the dash.
If I try to connect to modules with certain settings I trigger the F on the Dash, If I run a "Test Interface" in opcom settings I can turn them back off again and start the car I just can't figure out why it's happening :( I'm not sure if it's a dodgy connection/earth somewhere or if it's all down to the SDM being the wrong one.
I have the light telling me that there is a fault in the engine electronics, where though I have no idea. I have the following fault codes that seem like they may be relevant
ECU:
U2103-00 CAN-BUS Node No Communication
BCM:
U2100-00 CAN-BUS Communication Error
U2108-00 CAN-BUS No Communication With ABS/ESP
U2111-00 CAN-BUS No Communication With EPS

I also read "In the diagram I have, the CAN bus goes from the ECU, through the ABS module, then through the EPS to the multifunction control module (BCM?)." on this thread www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/332202-Corsa-D-2007-1-2-xep-doesn-t-start (might be useful to people with similar problems it mentions some common earth locations that can be missed during clutch/gearbox work) and I'm thinking it's more likely a connection issue than the SDM.

#6 · (Edited)
A quick update, I got all the codes matched to the donor ecu etc with the vin matching the car and it started with no engine lights on the dash. It would run for a few minutes then the spanner light would come back on and then it would cut out with the F's shortly after. The F's are there constantly at the moment and it won't start again since I removed the battery to check the thermostat sensor due to the fan not kicking in and me wondering if that was what was cutting out the engine (I found the radiator fan resistor looks like it's 50 years old).

I checked for fault codes again with opcom (it's connecting to IPC / SDM but not the rest at the moment but it seems temperamental to say the least when it comes to what it will or won't connect to and a mechanics opcom connected to it all so don't let that sidetrack you :) ) and the IPC has code U2107-71 INVALID DATA FROM BCM.

I know that disconnecting the battery can corrupt the BCM data but I read somewhere that there is a security wait timer on the BCM that requires the ignition on to count down, any clarification of this would be appreciated as I cannot reset the BCM at the moment because opcom won't find it.

So if anyone can answer the following questions it would help a lot.
1. Does the BCM have a security wait timer and would that cause the F's and lock opcom out?
2. Is there anything obvious I could be missing with my opcom setup (Windows XP, no firewall, opcom 08/2010, firmware v1.95 flashed to 1.60 with ocflash) or is it more likely the device isn't working properly because at different times it will connect to different modules?
3. Could the fan not kicking in due to the resistor cut out the engine with F's displayed?
4. Where can I find wiring diagrams for a 2009 Corsa D 1.3cdti?
5. Has anyone had any experience of updating the BCM using a VCX Nano GM device?
6. Is there anyone in Mid-Cheshire who has Tech2 and a current tis2web SPS subscription and experience of updating module software?
7. Are the module software updates available to download anywhere other than tis2web?

#7 ·
A quick update, I got all the codes matched to the donor ecu etc with the vin matching the car and it started with no engine lights on the dash. It would run for a few minutes then the spanner light would come back on and then it would cut out with the F's shortly after. The F's are there constantly at the moment and it won't start again since I removed the battery to check the thermostat sensor due to the fan not kicking in and me wondering if that was what was cutting out the engine (I found the radiator fan resistor looks like it's 50 years old).

I checked for fault codes again with opcom (it's connecting to IPC / SDM but not the rest at the moment but it seems temperamental to say the least when it comes to what it will or won't connect to and a mechanics opcom connected to it all so don't let that sidetrack you :) ) and the IPC has code U2107-71 INVALID DATA FROM BCM.

I know that disconnecting the battery can corrupt the BCM data but I read somewhere that there is a security wait timer on the BCM that requires the ignition on to count down, any clarification of this would be appreciated as I cannot reset the BCM at the moment because opcom won't find it.

So if anyone can answer the following questions it would help a lot.
1. Does the BCM have a security wait timer and would that cause the F's and lock opcom out?
2. Is there anything obvious I could be missing with my opcom setup (Windows XP, no firewall, opcom 08/2010, firmware v1.95 flashed to 1.60 with ocflash) or is it more likely the device isn't working properly because at different times it will connect to different modules?
3. Could the fan not kicking in due to the resistor cut out the engine with F's displayed?
5. Has anyone had any experience of updating the BCM using a VCX Nano GM device?
6. Is there anyone in Mid-Cheshire who has Tech2 and a current tis2web SPS subscription and experience of updating module software?
Andyl or Nick H should be able to help you .

#8 ·
Thanks Fred I've been chatting to Andyl and he has been very helpful but I don't want to push my luck by taking up too much of his time :) And if I get to the bottom of it all in PM's then he's just going to have someone else asking the same questions sooner or later and this apparently common problem will never become an easy fix.

#9 ·
Andyl doesn’t mind helping people out. His understanding of how these things operate means he can see where you can be going wrong .
Your certainly correct about it all getting a bit complex as you delve in deeper.

Reactions: andy_v
#13 · (Edited)
I can have a go at a few

yes it has a timer but it's unusual to have it set on and even then it needs an incorrect code to set the timer,from what i remember it tells you a timer is set when you try and connect to the module
have you tried a different lead ?

if you've flashed it to a f/w that's mismatched to the software version it can sometimes cause odd problems

unlikely

best bet is a copy of tis 2000

yes,i've tried 2 and i wouldn't waste your cash,it may work for sps but i gave up long before i got that far

don't know

#15 ·
Thanks Valer, I think the opcom issue is most likely a hardware issue tbh, it was doing the same before it was flashed, I have seen a different lead with the same software read the BCM and IPC at the same time but mine has only ever given me one or the other at different times. Did you try to set up the VCX on a windows XP virtual machine with tis2000/globaltis or did you try it with a tis2web subscription?

#16 ·
You're right it most likely is bad joints or faulty relays,but it's always worth trying a new usb lead first,i've seen that sort a few out over the years.
I'ts going back a couple of years now,I had the nano running gds2 on xp vmware and tech2win on a native w7 32 bit,
at the time i had a subscription but now i've got global tis.
@marks152 has one of my old ones now,and i think he's given up with it as well lol

#24 ·
You are using the wrong firmware, it should be 1.39 for that software.
Try flashing it back to the correct firmware and see how that goes.
To be honest I would be using a later HQ Vauxcom on the Corsa D anyway and not a standard OpCom.

#26 ·
@Koicarpkeeper I have tried 1.39 too, I based it on the mechanic's that read my car. He had 1.60 fw using 08/2010 sw and it connected. I've tried 1.45 with the vauxcom software too and it's the same problem. I'm just waiting for it to dry up now so I can put everything back together and try with a different cable as suggested, I've found a printer cable that looks like it might do the job.

#27 ·
I'm going to have a look at all the wiring under the scuttle tray too, there's issues with water ingress all around there from what I have read. The ECU sits in a puddle, the ABS module was a fire risk that got quietly cleaned up to avoid a recall etc. "In the diagram I have, the CAN bus goes from the ECU, through the ABS module, then through the EPS to the multifunction control module (BCM?)" says to me that if any of that has a dodgy connection I wouldn't get the comms with the BCM so I might as well start there. I'm just putting off installing tis2000 for the wiring diagram and getting on it lol Copper grease and a bit of head scratching might just do the trick hopefully :)

#28 ·
Printer cable will be fine.

So your mechanic's OpCom connects using the same software and same (albeit incorrect) firmware?
But yours doesn't?
Surely this tells you yours is fubarred!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.