Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,Didn't expect to post again quite so soon after buying a 3.0 MV6!!

Goes like this, bought the car on Wednesday - today it got recovered to the dealer having decided to get rid of its coolant onto the pavement!

Don't know what the problem is, could hear a hissing sound from the back of the engine.

Spose its good that dealer is repairing it & was good enough to give me a courtesy car.

But.....the courtesy car turned out to be a Proton,yes a proton,'persona'!!! (starting to get that siking feeling!)

Having really enjoyed the MV6 for two days, I have come crashing down to earth! Does this make me a 'proper' omega now??

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
I had an N reg persona, quite torquey for a 1.6, drive belts on the wrong end of the engine tho.

Still could be worse, it could be a Proton GL!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yep seems you're not a real Omega owner until it has broken down and left you stranded in the middle of nowhere :D

The irony is that the dealer probably gave you a Proton because Vauxhalls are too prone to breaking down LOL ;)

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
The Persona is Mitsubishi mechanics, so it should be relaible.

I had a massive front ender in mine, the slam panel was buckled and sent into the rad, tried to bend it straight, but the rad started to leak, just pushed it back and it carried on for well over a 1000 miles like it.

In the end, I gave it to a garage as part payment for a brake overhaul on the 405 as I couldn't afford to pay!

Was still running fine though.

Only paid 295 for it, 7months MOT and 10months tax. Really did munch up the miles, but, it was front wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Paul M said:
Yep seems you're not a real Omega owner until it has broken down and left you stranded in the middle of nowhere
I think I'm still the winner for breaking down in the middle of nowhere - look up Sacquenay in France....

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
rob114 said:
Ok,Didn't expect to post again quite so soon after buying a 3.0 MV6!!

Goes like this, bought the car on Wednesday - today it got recovered to the dealer having decided to get rid of its coolant onto the pavement!

Don't know what the problem is, could hear a hissing sound from the back of the engine.

Spose its good that dealer is repairing it & was good enough to give me a courtesy car.

But.....the courtesy car turned out to be a Proton,yes a proton,'persona'!!! (starting to get that siking feeling!)

Having really enjoyed the MV6 for two days, I have come crashing down to earth! Does this make me a 'proper' omega now??
Hello,

Sounds like either the heater bypass valve has failed, or the plate over the oil cooler has decided to start leaking, either way, not a major issue, just a bugger to get to in both cases.

James.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
If it is heater bypass valve, thats about £26 and a lot of swearing doing it (easy enough, but cramped and fiddly)

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
dont forget the several scrapes knuckes, and the odd bent spanner where you have launched it to the next county!

·
VxON's local spooky lurker
739 Posts
LOL and ive had a megie for 3 years and had only a couple of problems oil heat exchanger cover leaked (only had the car a week) le=arning curve that was first V6 now i just whistle and it drops to pieces still the meggies not got anything on top of the range seny

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Update!

According to dealer,the fault is a valve that joins two hoses as they join the back of the engine (mechanic not invited to phone call!).Is this the heater bypass valve?

Question: Is it a case of good as new if replaced (new vauxhall part) or are there any complications with this repair? Are there any other things to check before I accept it back? Will make sure that coolant is replaced with correct solution - thats about the limit of my knowledge!

Any advice welcome

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Paul - picked it up today & all seems well!! Made sure they put the correct antifreeze in.

Can go back to enjoying the car now!!

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Marks DTM Calib said:
Lol, it actualy has 3 pipes and a vaccum hose....
Mine has 3 pipes, the vacuum, and a lot of my blood on, due to the crappy clips they use :grrr
Still, at least I could get to it, as I had the cam covers off at the time (but I've used the green snot sealant :grrr :grrr )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts