Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished rocker cover seals today:bananasmi :bananasmi , am well chuffed . Once I got all the gubbins out of the way it went very smoooothly:eh , even the passenger side went in first attempt :Cool2: (probably more luck than judgment) , couldnt belive it , but didn't dare take it off again to check . The seal was realy brittle on that side so I don't think it had been changed since the car was new , even though there is a bill in the paperwork for both seals being changed :mmmm , drivers side was much better but changed it anyway allong with 'o' rings and all seals for intake manifold .

Must say though , to all concerned , even if your rocker seals are ok clean the breather pipes as preventative maintenance ASAP . It's a damn sight easier to do that than change the seals and the car will run better as well!

So got the car back together and closed my eyes and crossed all my fingers and started it , Woohoo!! it starts , Oh Nooooooooo , engine management light stays on , feck! feck! feck! Took it for a drive and it ran ok , but goin round a corner I hear a clunk from engine bay , realise I've left wrench in engine bay stop in a layby to have a look and find my wrench but also see I have left the EGR valve unpluged! Result! Engine management light goes off Yahooooooo!!!!!!!!!:bananasmi

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice one steve

You can now sit back and have a cold beer knowing you done a job well done and the monkeys in the dealers earned jack:turd from you

Well done:Cool2:

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
i hope mine goes this well, did you put the sealant all along the egde of the rocker cover? or just in the half moon bits

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just in the half moon bits and at the front corners by the front cam sprockets . Got seals from Vauxhall , cost more but fit realy well and dont forget the 'o' rings, at 18p each its a false economy not to bother and on my car they were hard and brittle . Keep the 'o' rings in place with a smear of grease so they dont fall out as soon as you try to fit the cover , the seals will stay in by themselves and read ronaldMcburger's how to on breathers and you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
my drivers side has sealant all along the visable edge of it, its black too.my passenger side dosent though.

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks Elite. Compliment taken and congrat on a fine job mate!

Doesn't it feel goooooooood? You are spot on with that sealant. Just the half moons and either side of the cam fronts, only on the main surface, One nearest the dipstick is a bar steward to get sealant to. Just dollop it on your finger and get in there.

Great news. Glad it worked. How bad were your breathers?

·
Registered
367 Posts
kev25v6 said:
my drivers side has sealant all along the visable edge of it, its black too.my passenger side dosent though.
Same Here but the dam drivers side still leaks.

While this post is up on the main page, could someone confirm the following pls

I'm doing the Drivers side only plus the Breather Box/Pipes in the next few weeks.

I need Black Sealant

Rocker Cover Gaskets (Two)

O-Rings 8 off

Plenum O-Rings

Anything else ? Inlet Bridge Seals ?

And should the Sealant be applied to both mating surfaces ???? as it looks like its been done this way before on my megga

R

·
0 Posts
Don't bother doing the gaskets until you have done the breathers, you are wasting your time and money.

Sealant goes in the half moons and a small 1cm dollop both sides of each cam on the mating surface. DO NOT use sealant along the main surfaces, it will not help and will make it worse.

Have a read through my How2's on both the rocker gasket and breathers.

You won't need inlet bridge seals if you are doing drivers side. You will if doing passenger side.

·
Registered
367 Posts
RonaldMcBurger said:
Don't bother doing the gaskets until you have done the breathers, you are wasting your time and money.

Sealant goes in the half moons and a small 1cm dollop both sides of each cam on the mating surface. DO NOT use sealant along the main surfaces, it will not help and will make it worse.

Have a read through my How2's on both the rocker gasket and breathers.

You won't need inlet bridge seals if you are doing drivers side. You will if doing passenger side.
Thx Finlay, just what I needed to no, so I assume now that we have discovered that RCG Failier is likely to be caused by excess crankcase pressure pretty obvious when you think about it, should I buy genuine Vaux Gaskets or can I save a few quid and buy them from a nice cheap supplier on Fleabay for a Tenner including the little O-Rings

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4625056243&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally I would go for the genuine article , they fit realy well and if your going to all that trouble you want to know they're not going to leak again , for the sake of 15 quid (a quater tank of petrol), is it worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
how tight did you do the rocker cover bolts? do you have to have a torque wrench for doing them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts