Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
a couple of years ago I had to replace the radiator on my 2001 Astra G 1.4 16V and, obviously, replace the coolant. At the time I bought the radiator and coolant from auto-doc, being careful to enter the license plate to get the correct parts. I did the job and never though about it again. Now I need to replace a cracked expansion tank and I'm also buying new coolant. I was shocked/surprised to see that the eaxt same reference I bought previously as being for my engine now says it's not! And on closer inspection it now says its for VW cars! I did notice what seems like some rust in the coolant tank and always wondered why, as it always ran clean before my radiator swap. Has this damaged my engine? In the cold morning start it does seem like the exhaust smells sweet, but there's no mayo in the oil (for now, at least). I'm gutted if the engine is damaged, as the store listed the wrong item as being compatible, even though I gave them the plate number and, at the time, this item was what showed up as compatible! I ALWAYS search for parts using the plate number!
The coolant in question is the SWAG 99 90 1381

Appreciate any input as to whether this is really not compatible with the Opel/Vauhall engine and may be causing damage.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
It won't cause a problem if it's suitable for VW, as they have aluminium in the engine as well. Any antifreeze these days have corrosion inhibitors in them.

·
Super Moderator
25,784 Posts
Manufacturers all use slightly different formulas of antifreeze so long as the different brews aren’t mixed together your ok.
I’ve got some blucol at home that’s a clear liquid antifreeze & you can mix it with all types of antifreeze , green , orange , blue etc.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies, it's reassuring to know! Though I do get this sweet smell from the exhaust in the first morning start... Maybe a little leak in the head gasket? The car is 370K km and never had an engine intervention ( and hopefully won't need one!).

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Thing is your car is nigh on 20 years old and it's a Vauxhall, there are other makes. I don't think it matters what you have put in the coolant tanks you are going to have trouble sooner or later with some aspect of that car. I would think sooner rather than later to be honest.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know... 😭. Thing is, I really like the car and so far I've been able to do most of the repairs on it. It's my big boy toy 😁 and I'd like to keep it a little longer. A new car is due soon for the missus, but we wanted to wait for truly affordable electrics, and even then I'd like to hang on to it for those short trips that ruin new cars, like beach with the kids, camping and all the stuff that goes along with. Maybe I'm just beeing sentimental about it, as I drove it for the most part of its 370.000 km, including 1000-3000 km, almost non-stop journeys and always took me there, and back. It's also easy on the wallet: it runs on lpg (56 CTS Vs 1.5€ for petrol) and I do all maintenance and repairs (each service costs me like 20€ in GM oil and filters). It is looking a little old but I can justify some money to make it look good again. And I have a mate that's a good mechanic, for thougher jobs line timing belts, though often busy. I don't know, maybe it's stupid to hang on to it, but I now drive a new diesel Skoda superb and always like the astra when I occasionally go back to it...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know what your saying , i have a 1998 Astra G 1.4 comfort for 13 years, with 342,000 klm, the longest time i have ever kept a car, will keep it going as long as i can, it might even out live me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts