Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know in all the commotion on my bhg and now probably more a circulation problem (thank god I stopped driving before overheating....)....Anyway I was being rude and forgot to share something else with you.....

I was so rushed last weekend that I forgot to inspect the rear end properly...Anyway I blasted my shed up the motorway (normally between 80-90mph...) and done about 350 miles in it until I dropped a piece of paper from my briefcase, had to get on my knees in our Liverpool carpark and reach underneath the car and got the shock of my life....

Both rear tyres were worn like that! I had to be in Telford in two hours! So didn't really have the time to shop around....So two new tyres at £58 each had to be put on quickly...

Sometimes I do believe in fate! I mean if that piece of paper didn't drop I wouldn't have known....Don't dare to think what happened with a double blow out :Arrgh:

R

·
0 Posts
I think he means WTF caused that wear? Whatever is wrong, you didn't get it fixed. Those tyres should last at least 1000 miles now then.

If I was you I would be getting 4 wheel alignment and camber checked as well as toe in or out set!

·
Registered
367 Posts
dejongj said:
?? Sorry don't get that comment....
Looking at the picture you supplied theres obviously something amiss looking at the wear pattern on the inside of the tyre, I'd be inclined to have it looked at, then again at £58.00 a tyre why bother :Cool2:

C

·
0 Posts
dejongj said:
?? Sorry don't get that comment....
Well something in the suspension geometry has to be massively out imo.
All you've done is cured the defective tyres, not the cause behind them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
duh! Get it now.....Yep fully agree with that one! I just didn't have the time as I was in a rush as it was.....I've got a feeling that I know what happened there....

I bought the car for £300, it was unbearable to drive and I rejected it as they didn't describe that on e-bay....I guess this was their way of fixing it, take them from the front, put some air in it for proper pressure and fingers crossed I don't notice it....And guess what I didn't!

Ah well first get my circulation sorted, then get the alignment sorted......At least I'm alive, worth a lot more than money....

C

·
0 Posts
TronicV6 said:
Looking at the picture you supplied theres obviously something amiss looking at the wear pattern on the inside of the tyre, I'd be inclined to have it looked at, then again at £58.00 a tyre why bother :Cool2:
£116 every month or so :bust:

C

·
0 Posts
dejongj said:
duh! Get it now.....Yep fully agree with that one! I just didn't have the time as I was in a rush as it was.....I've got a feeling that I know what happened there....

I bought the car for £300, it was unbearable to drive and I rejected it as they didn't describe that on e-bay....I guess this was their way of fixing it, take them from the front, put some air in it for proper pressure and fingers crossed I don't notice it....And guess what I didn't!

Ah well first get my circulation sorted, then get the alignment sorted......At least I'm alive, worth a lot more than money....
So you reckon they were on the front until very recently?
Hopefully a £25 tracking fix then :Cool2:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CallyT said:
So you reckon they were on the front until very recently?
Hopefully a £25 tracking fix then :Cool2:
Yeah I really think they were....The garage was suspecting that as well....I'll get it sorted once I'm not overheating :)

Appreciate all your feedback, though I'm disappointed that nobody said glad for me to be alive :shame:

C

·
0 Posts
dejongj said:
Yeah I really think they were....The garage was suspecting that as well....I'll get it sorted once I'm not overheating :)

Appreciate all your feedback, though I'm disappointed that nobody said glad for me to be alive :shame:
Should check the tyre condition before every journey :bust:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CallyT said:
Should check the tyre condition before every journey :bust:
:grrr I know you are right, but I'm too young to do that....I don't polish my car up with my hanky either, nor check my screen wash, nor every single other fluid...Nor do I feed hay to my horses either :cool: I guess my mistake is that I wouldn't let a tyre get in that condition, so I'm not expecting any one else to do that either....Ah well....

Yes I've heard good things about STS Watford as well...Not just here, but also through the BMW 7 series forum I was part of.....Thanks for the reminder....

D

·
0 Posts
That's pretty scary. I'm gonna try to remember to have a good look at mine now after that.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Reckon they have definitely been on the front and moved to the back as much harder to spot then with a casual glance.

That said, what the hell is probably STILL wrong with the front steering geometry. Find the cause before buying new tyres.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dobbin said:
what have you said to that seller
To be honest I can't be bothered saying anything....What scares me more is that there are people like that on the road, who probably think ah well there is plenty left on the rest of the tyre it won't matter....Or who didn't think it is odd that the car wobbled.....I'm not too fussed about my £300 special, I didn't expect a perfect car...I am really concerned that people like that use the road every day and their neglect could kill someone....Knowing that and still using it is murder in my eyes....

But hey ho.....It's 'fixed', if I get me cooling problem sorted I'll get some tyres delivered via the Internet (could have gotten some Michelin's for £58 instead of Tiger's....) get the tracking/alignment sorted with the new tyres....The fronts look ok, but only about 2000 miles left (less than a month for me) and as those four rubber bits are the only bits holding you on the road, I'd rather have that perfect.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts