Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Vectra c

Wipers work fine and go all the way up and down but they rest 2 inches up.

The usual posts are for the linkages but these seem fine and free of dirt.

·
11,771 Posts
Dirty tracks inside the wiper motor or worn contact strips that run on those tracks.

·
11,771 Posts
More than likely.

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
I recently had to change the bars on the linkage as the cup on the longest one was worn and would pop off usually at the most unopportune moment, I had done a Redneck repair and a thick zip tie worked great but would eventually snap with the movement, so I bought the replacement bars they just snap on, so I took the old ones off and put the new one, but now the drivers side sits slightly higher than before, but the passenger one hits the scuttle, if the wipers are going and have done a few cycles it stops hitting the scuttle then after a few more cycles it hits again.

Looks like I might have to remove the wiper arms and cycle the motor a few times then get it to settle then refit.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I decided to try remove the linkages and motor and could I hell as like get the scuttle panel off. Secured tight against the window. Now there is a slight gap so will rain water get in? Shall I use a little seal?

Also how on earth do I get the panel off?

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Answered my own question about getting it off. Looks like I needed to bend and lift it over the wiper cogs before pulling Down. That will teach me to not rush a job at the end of the day. Will try again next Weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well 2hrs later and a few scraped knuckles I got the new motor out in. After 3 revolutions they rested halfway through the screen again.

Scratching my head I realised the arm on the motor is as smooth as a babies bum. Meaning the motor is turning but the one simple piece connecting the wipers is worn out.

Least I can resell the old motor as working lol.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I've just been reading through your post, and was just going to suggest the arm was loose on the spline on the motor. Well done for finding it, now you just need another arm!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The spines on the motor were full of crap too. Cleaned everything up and seems to be gripping nice now. I used the same motor arm but as it's soft metal on the arm I was able to make some new groves. Along with new washers everything seems to be working fine now.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To get the arms set in the right place cycle the motor once. Once it's in the rest position add the arm facing at exactly 9 o clock. Hook the links on and add the wipers at rest level. An hours trial and error yesterday I learnt this 😂

·
Premium Member
9,750 Posts
Going to have to take my wiper arms off they aren't resting properly, had the issue of the arms under the scuttle popping off, bought new arms and they most be just slightly longer, the passenger wiper arm hits the scuttle but not all the time, the drivers arm hits the door pillar but again not all the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts