Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the windscreen changed on my Carlton recently due to a crack that was growing in size .
This was done by a firm that provided a lifetime warranty but since then they've claimed that
this doesn't hold because of the rust they have claimed to have found.
They backed this up by sending me photos which didn't clearly show the great swathes of rust
that they claimed existed.

I am trying to find out if anyone else has experienced a similar situation.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
This is quite normal in an old Carlton, particularly if the windscreen has been changed in the past due to the fact that the protective paint usually gets damaged when removing the old screen, which eventually lets the rust set in. I suspect that it was the build up of rust that caused your previous windscreen to crack.

I had this same thing with one of mine about 12 years ago. The car had a crack running from one side of the windscreen to just within the swept area of the wiper on the passenger side. When I took it to have a replacement screen fitted, the fitter called me over to show me the rust patches that they had found when they removed the old screen. They said that they could sand the rust down and treat it before fitting the replacement screen, which they did. However, I had to agree to the fact that they would not be able to give the warranty that they would normally give in this case because of the rust damage.

The screen lasted until something like a couple of years ago when I found I had a front drivers side carpet swimming in water. At first I thought it was the usual rot hole problem at the back of the front wing, but that was all fine. I eventually found that the windscreen seal had failed, obviously because of that original rust problem, but on the drivers side this time - at least it hadn't pushed the glass up and caused it to crack this time, having just caused the mastic type sealant to come un-bonded from the metal. I had one windscreen fitter look at it and he wouldn't touch it, he said that due to there being rust, probably bad rust, underneath it, that if he removed the screen then he wouldn't be allowed to put it back due to various safety regulations. For a temporary measure and to keep the car on the road, I taped all round the screen with masking tape covered over with gaffer tape to keep the water out, and having dried out the carpet, I removed one of the rubber plugs in the floor and cut a metal plate to fit under the carpet to stand it off the actual floor itself, so that any water that might get in, would run straight out without wetting the carpet again. This worked well for about a year with no more water leaking in, although I did have to replace the tape a couple of times until I took the car off the road at the latter end of last year and put the old blue one back on the road, as that one doesn't have a leaking screen seal problem.

I personally think you should be very thankful that they actually fitted your screen and didn't refuse to do it after having found the rust, and left you with a car without a screen to take away with you. My advice would be to keep quiet about it and hope the screen and its seal outlasts the car - mine lasted another decade before causing problems. If you wanted to spend a LOT of money, you could take it to a professional body shop and get them to remove the screen and deal with all the rust by rebuilding/replacing the rotten metal underneath the screen. I'll probably end up dealing with mine myself this coming summer if I can get the screen out in one piece - you can get the sealant/bonding compound on ebay for around fourteen quid. I think the screen will probably come out quite easily now, as I don't think there's an awful a lot holding it in anymore - we'll see.

·
12,304 Posts
I think the warranty is against any leaks.

·
Premium Member
13,706 Posts
Or cracks not caused by external damage. Had the screen changed on the previous Tigra B, due to a crack that started at the bottom & worked it' way up, for no apparent reason. I was presuming it was caused by the body flexing, being an convertible. Autoglass gave us a lifetime guarantee from this happening again.

·
Super Moderator
25,768 Posts
If its rusted under the rubbers, doesn't that mean they never sealed it properly the first time it was changed.
Thing is the windscreen is part of the cars structural strength ( around 30% ) so it needs to have good metal to bond to.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
It's a good point about whether the windscreen was sealed properly the first time it was changed. What I've noticed with the Carlton is that if they either have the original factory windscreen still in place or they've had a replacement fairly early on in their life then they seem to have no problems with the seal, it's the ones that have windscreens replaced later in life that seem to suffer the issues. My theory is that the paint on the metal gets damaged when it's cleaned up to accept the new sealant, and then if it's not applied well enough to cover all the metal area, the wet gets under the edge and eventually causes corrosion, probably from condensation on the inside as well as rainwater from the outside, but this is just my own personal thoughts on the matter and I've no hard evidence.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is quite normal in an old Carlton, particularly if the windscreen has been changed in the past due to the fact that the protective paint usually gets damaged when removing the old screen, which eventually lets the rust set in. I suspect that it was the build up of rust that caused your previous windscreen to crack.

I had this same thing with one of mine about 12 years ago. The car had a crack running from one side of the windscreen to just within the swept area of the wiper on the passenger side. When I took it to have a replacement screen fitted, the fitter called me over to show me the rust patches that they had found when they removed the old screen. They said that they could sand the rust down and treat it before fitting the replacement screen, which they did. However, I had to agree to the fact that they would not be able to give the warranty that they would normally give in this case because of the rust damage.

The screen lasted until something like a couple of years ago when I found I had a front drivers side carpet swimming in water. At first I thought it was the usual rot hole problem at the back of the front wing, but that was all fine. I eventually found that the windscreen seal had failed, obviously because of that original rust problem, but on the drivers side this time - at least it hadn't pushed the glass up and caused it to crack this time, having just caused the mastic type sealant to come un-bonded from the metal. I had one windscreen fitter look at it and he wouldn't touch it, he said that due to there being rust, probably bad rust, underneath it, that if he removed the screen then he wouldn't be allowed to put it back due to various safety regulations. For a temporary measure and to keep the car on the road, I taped all round the screen with masking tape covered over with gaffer tape to keep the water out, and having dried out the carpet, I removed one of the rubber plugs in the floor and cut a metal plate to fit under the carpet to stand it off the actual floor itself, so that any water that might get in, would run straight out without wetting the carpet again. This worked well for about a year with no more water leaking in, although I did have to replace the tape a couple of times until I took the car off the road at the latter end of last year and put the old blue one back on the road, as that one doesn't have a leaking screen seal problem.

I personally think you should be very thankful that they actually fitted your screen and didn't refuse to do it after having found the rust, and left you with a car without a screen to take away with you. My advice would be to keep quiet about it and hope the screen and its seal outlasts the car - mine lasted another decade before causing problems. If you wanted to spend a LOT of money, you could take it to a professional body shop and get them to remove the screen and deal with all the rust by rebuilding/replacing the rotten metal underneath the screen. I'll probably end up dealing with mine myself this coming summer if I can get the screen out in one piece - you can get the sealant/bonding compound on ebay for around fourteen quid. I think the screen will probably come out quite easily now, as I don't think there's an awful a lot holding it in anymore - we'll see.
Thank you HMK for your response to my post, which was very welcome. At this juncture it would arguably be benificial to understand the situation that prevailed. First of all I was a time served mechanic (British Army) with a number of years of experience before I made a career change. This background together with ongoing interaction with vehicles provided me with a more than reasonable understanding of the situation. So when the window fitter drew my attention to the rusted area I was able to ascertain the magnitude of the issue. From your comments you seemed to have come to the conclusion that the area in question was abound with great swathes of rust but this was not the case. The rusted area was not substantial but displayed by slight bubbling on the base where the screen would fit. The window fitter unambiguously stated that I was not to be concerned because he would be able to resolve the problem by "rubbing down" and then treating the area. This seemed very reasonable to me, having seen the extent of the problem, so I left him to it.

Through the medium of responses to this post there is the misguided belief that the screen had been changed previously, which to my knowledge is not the case. I bought the car in 2003 from the original owner who had devotedly looked after it . The car was in A1 condition as would be expected from the first owner of a vehicle. When I bought the car there wasn't any sign of leakage through the windscreen, nor was this the case until most recently. So it is fair to assume that the windscreen probably hadn't been changed during the original owners possession , but it might have been. But I know for a fact that the screen had only been changed once during my ownership, which is this instance that we are now discussing.

The crack in the screen occurred when I was driving the vehicle and grew over time. I'm not sure how it occurred, whether it was from a stone or from something else. But what I do know is that the bottom part of the windscreen seal was seen to be missing when the screen was removed. From my viewpoint the rubber seal had deteriorated over time causing an uneveness and weakness in the bond between the screen and its aperture. This logically could have happened considering that the car was 29 years old.

As to your comment of keeping quiet about, there isn't any need to.

In my opinion this wasn't a big deal. Seeing the rusted area for myself, its my belief that it could be easily rectified by doing as the window fitter suggested ie. making sure the area was adequately rubbed down then treated with an appropriate solution to safeguard against future rust, then ensure the windscreen was installed with a comprehensive seal. This was something that any windscreen fitter should be able to do without any real hardship.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure how you can provide a lifetime warranty on what is essentially a part that gets wear & tear & subsequent damages from flying stones.
Not sure how you can provide a lifetime warranty on what is essentially a part that gets wear & tear & subsequent damages from flying stones.
Thank you Fred Bassett for your reply to my post. Your comment is very valid and maybe should be investigated but to be honest with you its not pressing at the moment and I have to many other issues I'm addressing. But it would be interesting to see how they intend wriggling out of that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts