Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Stoopid question BUT is there any reason why I can't just "stick" the clutch wheel to the pulley wheel on the compressor?
I am thinking that the thermal fuse, which I am assuming has blown, just serves to engage the clutch magnetically so it rotates with the pulley wheel but if I "stick" the outside clutch wheel to the pulley it wheel be rotated constantly and should then drive the compressor.
This is on a 1.6i Petrol Astra Club G

It seems logical to me but I am sure there will be a reason why this is a no go.

Also as a side note, the AC lights come on when the switch is pressed but the clutch definitely does not engage.

Thanks for any advice (or mild pi55 taking for me being an idiot)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cannot see why not ?
Had a recon alternator on my Zaf that has a clutch pulley, month later the so called new pulley failed so that was welded to fixed until the replacement arrived.
New one is still in stock on the shelf until other work is needed in the area.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Cannot see why not apart from the fact that your AC will not ever switch off. As far as I can tell the compressor compresses the fluid which turns to a gas and then when it condenses back to a liquid it takes the heat with it or summat like that. So if you don't mind your AC being on all the time then it should work. But as you have already pointed out somebody will come on and take the PI55. There are plenty who would.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just a thought but a lot of modern systems the pump is not permanently engaged but cycles in and out as determined by the pressure switch. Leaving it on permanently may cause damage to the rest of the system through over pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
the compressor compresses the fluid which turns to a gas and then when it condenses back to a liquid it takes the heat with it or summat like that..
Opposite way round, the compressor compresses the gas to turn it into liquid, this goes through the matrix in front of the main radiator to cool the liquid, then the liquid goes through the evaporator in the heater inlet, turning back to a gas and taking the heat with it.

As also stated above, if the clutch on the compressor is fixed permanently, you risk over pressurising the system, as well as damaging the compressor.

Have you had the system checked for gas?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
The first thing to do is get the gas checked, if it is low on gas the clutch on the compressor will not activate.
If this doesn't fix the problem, the next check is for power being fed to the compressor clutch with the air-con switched on.
If there is no power, then the car needs to go on a diagnostic kit (op-com or Tech2, as most code readers don't fully work on Vauxhalls).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.