Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Zafira 2.0 DTI 03 plate which starts fine first thing in the morning but wont start when engine has warmed up. I have replaced crank sensor and ect sensor.

When I switch the ignition on for the 1st time each day, all the dashboard lights that should come on, do and then all the ones that should go our before you start the engine do.

When the engine is warm and you switch on the ignition the Exhaust emission and Engine Electronics/Fault lights do not come on and the Traction control light comes on and stays on. If you switch the ignition on and off between 100-200 times you may get lucky and the Exhaust emission and Engine Electronics/Fault lights may come on in which case the engine will start.

The only way around it during the say when the engine is running and hot is to switch off the engine and then switch the ignition on and off a couple of times quickly and the lights will illuminate, if you then leave the ignition switched on, when you next come to start it it will will start straight away.

No error codes and cannot establish communications with ECU when the fault is present, also noticed Fuel Gauge, Rev Counter and Speedo twitch when you switch ignition on but temperature gauge doesn't when fault present, also when fault present cooling fan starts up after a few seconds off switching on ignition.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
"Red One.."
2,919 Posts
Some of the symptoms are leading towards the ECU itself unfortunately, such as the lack of engine warning light and cooling fan running, which is a safety feature that kicks in should the ECU be disconnected/powered off.

It's part of the injection pump on these engines and is known for failure.

Nick.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I cant get my head around is that I can guarantee it will start first go every morning and also if left long enough during the day after a run. Its as if something that is being kept cool when the vehicle is running, overheats when you stop and takes time to cool back down to a point where everything is ok again?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The pump and its ECU are mounted to the engine so can get very hot as the engine warms up - its strange that it runs ok and only shows when you try to restart the car. The diesel fuel flowing through the pump has a cooling effect but the ECU is enclosed so you cant directly cool it - there are places that claim to be able to repair the ECU faults but you have to remove the ECU from the pump which looks easier off the car thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
sounds like its either running to rich or the crank sensor is faulty....could be temp sender...is there any fault codes...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pump and its ECU are mounted to the engine so can get very hot as the engine warms up - its strange that it runs ok and only shows when you try to restart the car. The diesel fuel flowing through the pump has a cooling effect but the ECU is enclosed so you cant directly cool it - there are places that claim to be able to repair the ECU faults but you have to remove the ECU from the pump which looks easier off the car thats for sure.
I am not very familiar with the engine component locations, can you point me in the right direction of the location of the pump and ECU mounted to it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds like its either running to rich or the crank sensor is faulty....could be temp sender...is there any fault codes...
Have replaced the crank sensor but no difference, about to change the temp sender which has just arrived. When the fault is on you can not talk to the ECU at all, only when all is functioning normally.

There do not appear to be any relevant fault codes, there was a random one come up about ambient temperature sensor but I am guessing that would not have any affect.

Its as if the ECU is going through a set diagnostic routine and gets to a point when it is expecting something that isn't happening and just stops at that point but not knowing the flow of the diagnostic programme that is obviously programmed into it, it is impossible to work out where it is stopping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.