Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Will new engine need to be re-coded?

624 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MisterT 
#1 ·
Hello peeps

Iv decided to replace my engine rather than mess around with the diesel pump.

Now i was told that if i replaced the diesel pump i would have to re-code the new one to the cars ECU.

This may sound silly, but will i have to get the new engine re-coded to the cars ECU aswell, as technically it will have a different pump?

Also, is there anything in particular i should change on the replacement engine before it goes in?

Cheers.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I personally wouldn't have thought either will need coding in any way. They're mechanical parts and the new one will work in exactly the same way as the old one. As long as you switch like for like it'll all work off your existing ECU with no difference.
Well thats certainly a new take on it. And hopefully the right one.

But from i gathered the fuel pump on the diesels, or maybe even the petrols, was encoded with the immobiliser so you couldnt take the car without the key. But surely there have been a few diesels stolen so i could be wrong!

But thanks for that suggestion anyway, like i said, hopefully its the right one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.