Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone out there can help me.

I have an Astra 1.4 sport 2010. It’s loosing water and the oil has gone creamy. Car still drives well. I’ve been told that it could just be condensation with me not doing many miles. Also I’ve been told that it could be a head gasket! Any ideas?

Also the Timing Chain is rattling badly which I’ve been told that a full service would help with the tension on the chain. Is this true? And would it have anything to do with loosing water?

Any help would be welcoming

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,984 Posts
The oil going creamy could well be a faulty cam chain cover gasket, this seals between water pump galleries and a large oil way to the sump, if thats the case then replacing your rattly timing chain along with a new front cover gasket then it will solve two problems at once.
Changing the oil wont stop the chain rattling, poor servicing is the usual culprit and once the guides are worn and the tensioner has reached full extension the only remedy is replacement.

Does you cooling system pressurise to the point where it pushes coolant from the bottle, you would need to confirm the headgaskets good before carrying out the above work, you could have a 'sniff test' done at your local garage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying to my questions. Appreciate it.

I’m having to fill up the coolant every two weeks. This has started happening over the four weeks.

Sniff test? Is that what it means. Smell it?

·
3,072 Posts
Thanks for replying to my questions. Appreciate it.

I’m having to fill up the coolant every two weeks. This has started happening over the four weeks.

Sniff test? Is that what it means. Smell it?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Combustion-Leak-Tester-Kit-Head-Gasket-CO2-30ml-Fluid-15-tests-Petrol-Diesel/123735248113?hash=item1ccf320cf1:g:oHsAAOSwY49cs4cK

I’m also confused wether or not my car has a chain or belt? It’s on a 2010 Astra sport 1.4
*100% a chain if 1.4

*Do the test first as you can do yourself if that turns yellow you may have a hg problem if not you may have the above described coolant seal letting coolant into the oil...

*To exclude the short journey cream you can take the car for a 30-40 minutes drive.... if short journey is the issue the cream will disappear after the Italian tuning drive :))

later add: doubt a oil change and filter will sort the chain rattle... looks like you need a kit replacement and a oil change to go with it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts