Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Well I have just got a 2.5 elite estate with full irmscher body kit,reg is 98,it has a full documented service history 64k recorded miles,and has just had a full service and cambelt tensioner kit fitted;also with a air con regas.

The thing is.....

Earlier this week I noticed particulary when the accelerator is pressed hard white smoke(so it seems to me) appears from the exhaust,with a distinct wiff of oil.The car slightly mis-fires on the higher revs.

-symptoms.

There was some slight evidence of the old "mayo" residue round the oil filler;but not much,also some evidence of containation in the coolant header tank.

The car has proof of being left to stand for some time(due to the previous owner having a sorn cert sice jan 06) So I thought it might just need running through.Any ideas as to what it might be,,,the rocker gasket,head etc?

It is covered by an engine and gear box 3mth warrenty,going back to dealer on wed,just want to be armed so I do not look a dork.

Sorry to rant,but the car other wise is mint regardings the body work etc and I do not want to loose her!

Thanks for any advice given in advance

regards

Perry

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Is it loosing any coolant?

A well combusted fossil fuel results in lots of water, helped also by the cats, so in this weather you do see quite a bit of steam out thw back.

Its important to know whats happening to the fluids....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

No,it does not appear to be loosing coolant,the smoke is quite thick though,but not black.It even smokes at idle even after being warmed up?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Has it had an oil change? If not, I'd get one done. If it has, does the emulsificatino of water and oil return? If you've got small amounts in the filler neck then it's probably just condensation from short journeys.

Misfire is worth investigating. Worst case is DIS pack, best case is plug/lead

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi JSeaman,

Yep just had a full service last week with oil change.I will ask for another to be done with a flush;and keep an eye if it returns.I think this cars previous owner did few miles with it being parked up for some 3 mths. The mis-fire prob I agree with you this I will get them to look at.

thanks for your advice mate.

regards

Perry

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Since the oil change has it returned?

If you want to get a better idea of the engine's condition then do a compression test when you change the plugs/leads. That'll give you more of a clue what you're looking at

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers mate,and ta ta for now.I will soon post some pics of my new baby for you guys to see.

Perry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys

Hi All and especialy Seaman,

Sorted out my prob on my Tourer,ran a compression test...ok and drained and refilled the oil with an engine wash.

done the trick,justed really needed a good blast having stood still for so long me thinks.

thanks any way

Perry

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Hope you flushed that engine cleaner out thoroughly, might be worth doing another oil change in a week or so.

Excellent that the compression test came back ok, only thing to do now is keep your eye on it for a while and make sure you've fixed it for good.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
out of curiosity, your car's not gold coloured is it? Like this one (could it be the same one)?

It's just that it was advertised as having had a head gasket / oil cooler failure ...

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
That one hasn't got an irmsher kit on it - its got an Ohshit dint in the wing instead.
sounds2k said:
out of curiosity, your car's not gold coloured is it? Like this one (could it be the same one)?

It's just that it was advertised as having had a head gasket / oil cooler failure ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
phantom omega

Hi Guys,

Thanks Seaman for that,and sounds2k .This was worrying;and yes it is my motor! Did some checking and spoke to the original owner,and the guys I brought the car off.The previous owner confirmed the possible problem.I have since been back to my sellers-who incidently did the compression test,oil change again etc.Also showed,and gave me copies of work done to the dent on wing and oil cooler being changed...thank god for that!

On a note to Geffd.... I like your dry humor,and I have got the receipts for the irmercher kit, I will be putting the "Dent" on Ebay if you want to buy it!

Once again thanks for yer help one and all.

regards

Perry

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
well I hope it's OK, if you get oil leaks again then it may be leaking rocker cover gaskets ... do a search on these forums and you'll find loads of references. Ronald McBurger knows all about them :lmao:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts