Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Astra J Petrol Automatic 1.6 VVT A16XER

Parking up and coming back after 20 minutes, noticed smoke coming from the bonnet. Turns out the water / coolant mixture was spraying all over inside the engine bay, from the radiator outlet hose to water pump

Part 17 on this image

Fast forward, I have replaced this part as it clearly had a hole in it and started the car up again. The coolant level is still going down. albeit a lot slower than before, there doesn't appear to be any leaks I can see on the floor.

One thing that is noticeable is that there is white smoke coming from where the cooling fan / radiator is. Since I have fixed the issue I have not seen the fan spin.

I have checked the 5A rated fuse for cooling fan in the fuse box and it doesn't look blown.

Can anyone advise on what else could it be. Would simply the fan spinning stop the coolant from being burnt off in the radiator? or is there something else i should be worried about

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay so I've done some checks, appears that the coolant is evaporating out the radiator because the fan isn't kicking in. Not entirely sure why not.

Took it to a garage, and checked the fan is operational. Turned the fan on using relay 1 and relay 2 via software and it turns on.

As far as my knowledge goes, I can see reading on ect sensor and coolant temperature

Can somebody tell me what I can check next.

·
3,073 Posts
what is coolant temp sensor telling you? how many Celsius? you can compare with a temp reading either a k probe on the thermostat housing or a infrared thermometer. In my view unless is a leak is nothing to evaporate...

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see white smoke coming from the radiator. The temperature gauge is saying 98 degrees from memory, I'll get the garage to run it again.

I don't think there is a leak as I pressure tested it and the water level didn't go down.

Can you tell me what other readings I should get.

Also what things need to be satisfied in order for the fan to kick in?

·
3,073 Posts
Usually the radiator fan is put on either by ecu or cooling module when certain conditions are met, the most common when a certain temperature is reached it triggers the fan.

I will have a look and put up some screenshots of what i have later when i get to the laptop that hosts global tis.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Worn Out Member
6,724 Posts

·
Worn Out Member
6,724 Posts
Yep,no schematics on there,i'm sure @N871BUD will find something for you (y)

·
3,073 Posts
so.... you have 5 fuses that could affect the cooling in the box under the bonnet. those fuses are: F7 7.5 AMP; F48 60Amp; F8 15 Amp;F45 30Amp; F42 40Amp and are 3 relays involved: KR20A ,KR20B, KR20C

i used 2011 auto 1.6 gas

Attachments

·
Worn Out Member
6,724 Posts
2018 are you sure it's a J not a K ?

·
Worn Out Member
6,724 Posts
Fair enough,just checking,
they bought the K out in the UK from 2016,but as yours comes up as a LHD car for Romania i guess they ran the J at the same time

Reactions: fratiee

·
Super Moderator
27,038 Posts
Fair enough,just checking,
they bought the K out in the UK from 2016,but as yours comes up as a LHD car for Romania i guess they ran the J at the same time
I’m thinking it’s a Saloon
Astra , as the paperwork says Notchback.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts