Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

When to change Oil in a Brand new Corsa

[Corsa E] [2014 ----] 
24K views 52 replies 13 participants last post by  Boroboy 
#1 ·
Hi,

I brought a 15 plate Corsa back in April it's now Dec, I took it easy for the first 1000 miles but after that i have done quite a few miles... 9000 in total.

my 'Oil life' notification has started poping up on the dash telling me the oil needs changing, it's going in for it's first service in April which is usually when most people change oil.

Should I have my oil changed asap as the dash says?

Or

Is it just prompting me early becuase they like having the cars back in the garage regularly to make money?

I know that the oil in the engine now is going to be full of tiny particles which are generated in a new egine when it's first being driven thats why i'm not sure if it's a good idea for me to assume i can just wait it out till April - Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Areen

See less See more
#3 ·
If it was me (and I consider myself an old timer) I would change the oil. It will do no harm changing it early, in fact it is simply a sensible idea. If you can do it yourself so much the better. Not sure how you switch off the oil reminder light though. I know engines are completely different beasts to what they use to be, but you cannot do much harm with nice fresh oil flowing.
Happy Christmas.

#5 ·
I'd change it when the light appears. You may also have a variable life oil monitor, that monitors the quality of your oil (same as mine). Decides when its best to change it, due to short journeys etc. May require changing before the year is up. You also have your warranty to consider too.
Its also possible your oil life monitor was set prior to you buying the car, if it had been stored for a while etc. Prior to despatch.
What engine do you have?

#6 ·
You should only change the factory filled engine oil at the correct milage / time interval , if changed early the engine will suffer premature wear later on in its life . The oil put in at the factory is a special brew that collects any bits of debris & these particles from the newly machined engine are held by the oil filter until the milage / time interval has been met , after that the standard recommended engine oil is then put in & used for the rest of the engines life , this is why you don't need to run an engine in anymore unlike the years gone by .

Reactions: Boroboy
#8 ·
Not all of it no , cleaner fuel / advanced fuel technology , advanced oil technology as made a lot of difference , allowing engineers to work to very fine tolerance's on today's modern engines , especially these latest 1.0 3 cylinder turbocharged units that put an ever increasing demand on engine oil between services .

Reactions: Boroboy
#14 ·
The specified time/mileage limit is a recommended maximum not a target. How would someone like me get on if I decide to buy a new Vauxhall when I do around 4000 miles a year? At the first service the factory oil with the bed in additive would be out and new dexos oil would be put in. Would my engine be at risk because I only put on 4000 miles? The initial bed in period is quite small so if this oil sensor is doing it's job properly then maybe the first service is required early. The only true way to guage the oil quality is to get an oil analysis done. In the meantime as I said before I'd go into Vauxhall and let them decide a course of action in case something is amiss and oil is contaminated by maybe coolant, fuel or mayo. That warranty would be my first concern.

#16 ·
@Fred Bassett, on the Z series engines the oil quality indicator makes assumptions based on the type of things @Boroboy described, driving style, cold starts etc. I don't think the newer engines will be any different.

#24 ·
Buy an oem oil filter and some cheap triple qx oil. Triple qx is fine as you will change it throught manufacturer in April.
When breaking an engine in, i go private for a sneaky oil change and filter change on my car.
I would suggest genuine oil and filter so that when it goes for service the dealers won't know it's already been changed plus you are using good quality oil until then.

#45 ·
So many buyers now are getting good value cars that are ex fleet/hire cars. I bought my Corsa xmas 2010 at less than half list price from main Vauxhall dealer. It was ex rental and the first service was the dealer's prior to sale at 23K. I got a letter saying that Vauxhall would honour the warranty and they stamped the book. It's just turned 40K and all it's had is two tyres and two rear shocks. Modern oils can go way past the service dates and that's been proved by oil analysis.
I'm still waiting to hear from the OP about this oil warning and information from Vauxhall.

#46 · (Edited)
I dont mind ex lease. Ex rental cars though, id rather not. I prefer a car from a pensioner thats hardly driven and a bit older. Something a good 12 to 15 years old.
Fully synth oils can. There are even new oil filter technologies to makeboilblast a darn site longer. However, i sooner would keep oil fresh and golden. Especially in a turbocharged car or a high revving honda b series.

#47 ·
I'm a pensioner hence only putting on 17k in five years. Not sure my sort of driving can be good for the car, but it runs really nice. About 14 miles on today taking 'er indoors to shopping centre that's a good run for me this time of year. Mayo on the oil filler cap due to lack of reaching proper running temperature. Eighteen months of rental use would have found any problems for the warranty to deal with. Never had to top up the oil or ATF. I suppose we all take our chances and high mileage or low luck comes into it a lot.

#48 ·
Once this milage correction service is outlawed it should mean an end to the stickers some car traders / dealers put over the instruments panel to cover themselves in the event of an incorrect milage , they can't say the milage can't be trusted as the selling & trading of milage correction services will be illegal so couple that with it being illegal to knowingly sell a milage corrected car the loophole will be closed & so in the event you purchase a car with a descripency over the recorded milage , you the consumer will have greater powers on your side to persue the dealer/trader of such milage correction alterations , it will take a long time to filter through & some cowboys who don't fear the consequences of breaking the law etc won't be bothered no more than they are now but for other more law abiding companies selling vehicles they won't want to risk selling a motor if they can't confirm the milage as being correct . A lot of dealers now use the VMC service to provide prospective buyers of nearly new & second hand cars with proof that the milage as been checked to be correct before sale .

#49 ·
I once dated a driving instructor for a very brief period who was so dishonest I got shot of her very quickly. She was buying a brand new car, putting well over 100,000 miles on it and then selling it the next year after getting the clocks changed. Presumably she must have been swapping the pedal rubbers and the like too. She really didn't seem to think shge was doing anything wrong either, arguing that it was still a bargain because the car was only just over a year old. I feel sorry for anyone who was unlucky enough to have bought one of her old cars!

#53 ·
Fair enough, as long as you know it's a write off. Buy it cheap enough to start with. You get someone you can trust to fix it up for you, no short cuts on safety. I bought one once, a long time ago. Knowingly. Wouldn't again, knowingly lol. Garages tend to give you around 50% of the market value if you were to part ex it in for another car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.