Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

My car is a 57 plate 1.9 cdti 120 bhp Vauxhall Vectra with almost 200 k on the clock (199,215 miles )
For a while now I have been hearing a droning noise and I think the noise is coming from the front of car.
The noise seems to be a bit louder since I replaced all 4 of the car wheels a few days ago.

can someone please tell me what you think the problem might be with my car ?

1 - Front wheel barely spins ( other side spins freely )
2 - side to side movement on wheel (quite a lot of play )
3 - Caliper get's hot after a drive ( stays cool on the other side )
4- droning noise

Thanks and as always much appreciated

edit ( I changed the front brake pads 3,000 miles ago without the discs as the caliper bolts are rounded so will do that shortly, the discs are scored so need changing I will do them when my rounded off bolt remover kit arrives

Read more: wheel barely spins, Droning noise, hot caliper , what is the problem here ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like wheel bearing may need replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi
Thanks for your reply.

Would a bad wheel bearing cause a caliper to feel hot on touching it ? the other side is cool but th side in mention is hot after a drive.
I don't hear anything graty when I spin the wheel it just doesn't spin freely, maybe does half a turn whereas the other side wheel spins freely and the wheel goes around many times.

What is a reasonable price to expect to pay a garage to do the job ?

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Sounds like a bearing.
When driving take a slow decent right bend which will put more weight on the bearing and increase the noise.
Then a left bend so weight shifts to other side of the car and noise should reduce.

Worth checking the movement isn’t a track rod or suspension arm.

If you pull off the outer brake calliper and see if wheel still slow to turn will rule out a sticking calliper in minutes. And then by default has to be the bearing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a bearing.
When driving take a slow decent right bend which will put more weight on the bearing and increase the noise.
Then a left bend so weight shifts to other side of the car and noise should reduce.

Worth checking the movement isn’t a track rod or suspension arm.

If you pull off the outer brake calliper and see if wheel still slow to turn will rule out a sticking calliper in minutes. And then by default has to be the bearing.
thank you for the advice, much apprecieted.

If I reove the caliper do you mean put the wheel back on and spin it or do you mean spin the hub ?

amother thing to note, when I rock the wheel side to side the shock absorber strut moves too, is that normal ? thanks

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
You can put wheel back on. Which ever feels best to find out.
Main things to watch is the track rod end and then the ball joint which is the joint the suspension arm links to the hub.

But wheel will show the way once calliper removed.

You may have a worn track rod or ball joint instead, or both. But these make rattles usually rather than your case.

Common sense is do it all while in there.
Google how to check each one while working.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can put wheel back on. Which ever feels best to find out.
Main things to watch is the track rod end and then the ball joint which is the joint the suspension arm links to the hub.

But wheel will show the way once calliper removed.

You may have a worn track rod or ball joint instead, or both. But these make rattles usually rather than your case.

Common sense is do it all while in there.
Google how to check each one while working.
If I put the wheel back on to spin it while the caliper is unmounted would the caliper be damaged from hanging free or hit the wheel as I am spinning it ?
Cna I do this by spinning the hub ?

It is making quite a loud droning sound, would this suggest wheel bearing and if so what is a reasonable price at a garage to have it replaced ?

thanks again !:giggle:

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I usually hang the calliper on a bungee cord or place it on a block of wood etc.
If you are careful you can free spin it with wheel on. Just easier to notice with the weight of a wheel.
Bearing cost (look on eurocarparts for price ) plus roughly an hours labour (£50ish ish depending on yo our garage )

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually hang the calliper on a bungee cord or place it on a block of wood etc.
If you are careful you can free spin it with wheel on. Just easier to notice with the weight of a wheel.
Bearing cost (look on eurocarparts for price ) plus roughly an hours labour (£50ish ish depending on yo our garage )
Hi Geordieric

I took out the brake pads and put the caliper back on so I could spin the wheel but it is just the same, the wheel doesn't spin it only moves a few inches each way. I did drive for about half hour and this time the caliper remained cool.
Is it safe to say the caliper is not the culprit in this situation ?

The droning noise is still present as is the side-side wheel movement.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like wheel bearing may need replacing.

hi vauxlover
I took out the brake pads and put the caliper back on so I could spin the wheel but it is just the same, the wheel doesn't spin it only moves a few inches each way. I did drive for about half hour and this time the caliper remained cool.
Is it safe to say the caliper is not the culprit in this situation ?

The droning noise is still present as is the side-side wheel movement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Considering how cheap wheel bearings are I’d just get it replaced anyway- chances are the one on the opposite side will want doing too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Considering how cheap wheel bearings are I’d just get it replaced anyway- chances are the one on the opposite side will want doing too.

so do you think the wheel bearing is the problem ? I would have to take off the brake discs but the caliper bolts are rounded, are the rounded off bolt removal kits any good ?

thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the side to side play is in the hub then it will be the wheel bearing.

Not used any of the bolt remover kits myself so can’t really comment on them - I’m sure other members on here could advise you better on that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the side to side play is in the hub then it will be the wheel bearing.

Not used any of the bolt remover kits myself so can’t really comment on them - I’m sure other members on here could advise you better on that.

hi
how would I know if the play is in the hub ? I hear a droning sound from that area when driving so I guess that further suggests a wheel bearing fault ?

what is typical labour cost for this job ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The play and the droning noise suggests to me that the bearing is on the way out.

Typical garage labour are approx £70 an hour plus vat plus the cost of the parts. I use a mobile mechanic myself who is considerably cheaper (for all the jobs I can’t do myself).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The play and the droning noise suggests to me that the bearing is on the way out.

Typical garage labour are approx £70 an hour plus vat plus the cost of the parts. I use a mobile mechanic myself who is considerably cheaper (for all the jobs I can’t do myself).

would a wheel bearing gone bad make the wheel not spin freely ? How many hours should this take ? ty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Probably if it’s very worn, if it’s left then eventually it will break down and seize (happened to my Dad once).

Should take around half an hour or so for a competent mechanic I should think. Best thing to do is to have a chat with your local garage and see if they can take a quick look at it first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably if it’s very worn, if it’s left then eventually it will break down and seize (happened to my Dad once).

Should take around half an hour or so for a competent mechanic I should think. Best thing to do is to have a chat with your local garage and see if they can take a quick look at it first.

Do you think kwik fit would check it as in one fo the free checks they do , then make alternative arrangements to fix it ? Only thing is the handbrake on my car isn't holding I think it needs adjustment so will that be a problem for them if it eeded to go on their lift/ramp ?
I replaced the wheel bearing on my previous car (mk2 ford focus 1.8 tdci ) myself, will it be an idenitcal procedure on my vectra ?

thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only thing with Kwik fit is they have a habit of quoting for stuff that may not even need doing.

I would imagine the two are similar although not owned a Mk2 Focus myself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only thing with Kwik fit is they have a habit of quoting for stuff that may not even need doing.

I would imagine the two are similar although not owned a Mk2 Focus myself.

Hi
I realised something else today, both the front wheels do actually spin freely, It is only once I take it out of neutral and ut it in a gear then try and spin the wheels is when they do not spin. is this normal ?

I also noticed the side-side play in the wheel, the strut moves as well. is that normal ? thanks very much

1 - 20 of 48 Posts