Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
15,983 Posts
Reading this made me realise that in over 39 years of motoring I’ve never had any vehicle I’ve owned need this 4 wheel alignment doing , in fact I’ve only ever had 1 motor that needed the tracking adjusting.
Me neither....
Been driving since 1983, had tracking done a couple of times, thats all..

·
Don't be afraid it's only nuts and bolts
1,007 Posts
I see taxis come in every 6 months that have there tracking done most of the time its reading wrong,any kind of suspension work will knock it out as things dont go back in place to where they were set,also see cars with bald tyres with just a couple mm out/in,tracking is worth doing once a year to save replacing tyres if you do long journeys

·
Super Moderator
27,938 Posts
I see taxis come in every 6 months that have there tracking done most of the time its reading wrong,any kind of suspension work will knock it out as things dont go back in place to where they were set,also see cars with bald tyres with just a couple mm out/in,tracking is worth doing once a year to save replacing tyres if you do long journeys
That’s because they drive like nutters , smashing up big kerbs etc. Driving on 2 wheels instead of 4 at corners etc. Fellow taxi drivers then wondered why my vehicles never needed tracking or 4 wheel alignment or never had uneven wear on tyres , that’s partly down to me treating my car with respect & not driving like I’d stolen it.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
29,285 Posts
I've had quite a few cars laser aligned, often down to slight geometry changes with different suspension kits, or just down to knocks from potholes and stuff. I can't stand any vibrations through the wheel or anything else, at any speed.

Some cars are more sensitive than others, and some have much more ADJUSTABILITY than others,......like the four Quattro Audis I've had for example. Not a 5 minute job on a Quattro.

·
15,396 Posts
My kit car was adjustable with tie rods at the back and front and I set that all up with string and vernier calipers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If you have suspension work dune on your car you need the tracking dune ..if not it will eat tyres for breakfast...

the o/s that i did was well out ....

It go's back monday for a free recheck and they siad if it needs doing again there do it for free

·
Registered
95 Posts
My old VW GTI stayed in alignment for a few months. Fun car but lots of maintenance.

Our Astra H shows slight drift at speed after about 3 years. Never far off and tyres look fine. But the Astra drives much nicer after an alignment and balanced wheels.

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
15,983 Posts
Me neither....
Been driving since 1983, had tracking done a couple of times, thats all..
Shouldn't have tempted fate..
Skoda steering wheel is off centre and the Vectra now has a wobble between 80 and 90mph.

Tracking for 2 please.....

·
29,285 Posts
My kit car was adjustable with tie rods at the back and front and I set that all up with string and vernier calipers.
Cool. Send your string to the factory rally teams. You'll be sitting on a goldmine ;)

·
Super Moderator
27,938 Posts
If you have suspension work dune on your car you need the tracking dune ..if not it will eat tyres for breakfast...

the o/s that i did was well out ....

It go's back monday for a free recheck and they siad if it needs doing again there do it for free
Astra had loads of suspension work done over the 9 years i owned her , never had any tracking work or wheel alignment done. Never had an issue with tyre wear in that time either.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Astra had loads of suspension work done over the 9 years i owned her , never had any tracking work or wheel alignment done. Never had an issue with tyre wear in that time either.
Any suspension work that alters geometry needs tracking done...... Spring swaps are usually ok if you let it settle some vehicles are more sensitive than others

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Dont forget Fred most or the cheaper parts are none VX parts and are slightly different ..take that wishbone i fitted
it had a different bush on the one side to the original plus i bet it was slightly bigger or smaller and that will send
the tracking out ...

In the past i have had a original wishbone off car and back on again with no issues at all ...

saying this i was putting the original back on again after i fixed the rubber boot on the ball joint

·
Super Moderator
27,938 Posts
Any suspension work that alters geometry needs tracking done...... Spring swaps are usually ok if you let it settle some vehicles are more sensitive than others

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Over the 9 years she had 2 new complete McPherson front strut units , 2 anti roll bar bushes , 2 rear beam axle bushes , 3 rear springs , a new tie rod , subframe dropped out twice , once for the clutch & once for replacement of power steering pump. At 250,000 miles she still handled sweetly & never showed any sign of uneven tyre wear from the 48,000 miles she had recorded when i bought her.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When we changed the front springs, struts, strut mounts, and tie rod ends last year. The car drove very well after that work.

But tracking, steering feel, and handling all improved with a front end alignment, even though the tech made minimal adjustments.

·
29,285 Posts
But tracking, steering feel, and handling all improved with a front end alignment, even though the tech made minimal adjustments.
And this is the key point. It has happened several times to me, that I THOUGHT everything was tip-top, until it was done properly with lasers, and the new improvements were a beautiful noticeable thing.

Again it'll depend on the car. Some are only 'front-sensitive', based around track rod ends,.....but cars like my Audis have all sorts going on with the rear subframe etc, with concentric bolts to fine-tune the camber/castor and toe. Huge 4x4 grunt and torque can throw these bolts out by degrees, especially combined with tw4tting pot holes with large rims and ultra low profile tyres.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
307 Posts
Our Zafira had the clutch and the steering rack replaced at the same time, she needed tracking. One year later the allegedly professionally refurbished rack massively leaked, tracking.
Rear bushes replaced - she needed tracking.
Scenic both front wishbones replaced - tracking.
Previous Vectra C tie rod ends - she needed tracking. It was the same when I had to replace the wishbones.
Astra G, deceised for a long time, - tie rod ends - tracking.

Sorry fellas, I just don't believe anybody saying that after replacing the wishbones or tie rod ends the car doesn't need tracking. Take it for a proper four wheel check and show me the printout.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well car went back and all they did was put it up on the ramp and checked the track rod ends with a spanner...

thats it

21 - 40 of 44 Posts