Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seeing that picture has made me want some! lol its catch 22, gotta buy the alloys to get my arches rolled and flaired. Was tempted to just go 18" with 7.5j? Also the price of comp's are quite expensive at this size lol

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
Sorry but 19s on a cav just look crap in my opinion. 18s at max will be nice before your ripping the wings and arches out.
agree'd... they just look stupidly big... like its trying to pretend to be some kind of sports car.

They look disproportionate to the car.

a tasty set of 18's with some sensible rubber on them, will ride better, and wont kill the car.

Theres a good chance, that you could get 18's that would fit pretty much identical to the original wheels on the cavalier (as long as your offset was pretty damn close)

225/35/18 would actually present the EXACT same rolling radius as a standard cavalier 195/60/15 wheel. The only problem you'd come across there would be width. 215 will fit better width wise.. but your either going to be slightly too small at 35 profile, or slightly too large at 40 profile

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

215/35/18 is only going to put your speedo out by 1% though, and in theory you'd notice very little difference (thats only 1mph difference at 100mph) and 215's will fit on a cavalier perfectly, with no modification of any kind... providing your offset is somewhere between 42-49

I used to use 215/40/17's on my CDX and they were spot on, never had any problems clearing any part of the car. They were on a 42 offset

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
id just go for 17's the tyres will be a lot cheaper too,i had wolfrace voodoos on my mk3 sri with a -60 drop all round,only problem with alloys on our roads is they buckle to easily due to pot holes and speed bumps

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
I done alot of research on this when I was getting some wheels for my cav. 17's are the best all round, tyres are resaonable and there is not shortage of wheels avaiable. 18" look just right imho, not too in your face but not too small. 19's would look good on a cav but I do think there too big as more than likely all the arches will have to be rolled and depending on offset they could even catch on the inner arch. and last time i looked, a cheap tyre was £130 each so a decent tyre would be ner £200.

when ever I do something I try and look at the long term effect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im doing a btcc rep you see, so I dont want to have most of the car looking authentic and then the wheels looking pants lol. Think I might stick with the idea of 18", I think 17" might look a bit small, I suppose the only way to find out is to buy both sets, may look for a cheap set of 17" to see what they look like... lol

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
VxONs Turk
2,525 Posts
I was going to go for 17s but I find that the ride can be firm. Ive got 16s with 205/50 tyres (Irmscher Softstars). I went for these because the offset is ET49 which as some of you may know is the correct offset. Once it's lowered it'll look spot on. Standard looking but still sleek. Have a look at my avatar :)

Having said all that 17s and 18s definately have the look appeal.

·
Gagged
1,478 Posts
Im doing a btcc rep you see, so I dont want to have most of the car looking authentic and then the wheels looking pants lol. Think I might stick with the idea of 18", I think 17" might look a bit small, I suppose the only way to find out is to buy both sets, may look for a cheap set of 17" to see what they look like... lol
18" Compomotives ftw.

Ill find a pic somewhere for you of bodsters cav turbo it looked awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.