Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Eat Speed
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car, specs, etc is here
http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=986695&posted=1#post986695

Last night driving home at 3am, a rabbit ran out in front of me. Slammed on the brakes as you do and he was fine. Unfortunatly when i hit the brakes something went "thud"

Now when i pull off or brake quite suddenly, something coming from the drivers side area makes a thud noise. I've taken it to the mechanic next door and he's looked and said everything seems to be in order, nothing wrong with the suspension bushes and arms etc etc and can't figure out whats making the thud noise. Also while he was driving it up the road it would hardly do it although as soon as i'm in it alone it'll happen nearly everytime...

I'll be honest and say i don't know much about cars or parts at all i got no idea what could be wrong. For now i'm just seeing if maybe i take it upto a higher speed or a few miles more if it'll get better/worse (probably worse) but can't get out atm (baby sitting sucks:down:)

Car still going along alright, nothing wrong with the steering or braking or acceleration all of a sudden :rolleyes:

Anyone got any suggestions what could be wrong? All i did was slam the brakes on going about 40-50MPh and now something round the front of the drivers side is going "thud"

·
Missing the Booooossst!!!! :-(
8,709 Posts
kneo_ghau said:
My car, specs, etc is here
http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=986695&posted=1#post986695

Last night driving home at 3am, a rabbit ran out in front of me. Slammed on the brakes as you do and he was fine. Unfortunatly when i hit the brakes something went "thud"

Now when i pull off or brake quite suddenly, something coming from the drivers side area makes a thud noise. I've taken it to the mechanic next door and he's looked and said everything seems to be in order, nothing wrong with the suspension bushes and arms etc etc and can't figure out whats making the thud noise. Also while he was driving it up the road it would hardly do it although as soon as i'm in it alone it'll happen nearly everytime...

I'll be honest and say i don't know much about cars or parts at all i got no idea what could be wrong. For now i'm just seeing if maybe i take it upto a higher speed or a few miles more if it'll get better/worse (probably worse) but can't get out atm (baby sitting sucks:down:)

Car still going along alright, nothing wrong with the steering or braking or acceleration all of a sudden :rolleyes:

Anyone got any suggestions what could be wrong? All i did was slam the brakes on going about 40-50MPh and now something round the front of the drivers side is going "thud"
check to see if u've got movement in the pads... this can cause an almost untracable thud/clonk, without knowing u'd never figure it out.

hth...

·
I Eat Speed
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vauxmaster said:
check to see if u've got movement in the pads... this can cause an almost untracable thud/clonk, without knowing u'd never figure it out.

hth...
you mean the brake pads? he checked them (as the pads and discs were replaced with the MOT) and said theres nothing wrong there...

Thanks for the reply though :smile

·
I Eat Speed
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jaybooze said:
Something rolling about in the car,like a can? Jerry.
If you could hear the thud you wouldn't be suggesting that :lmao: Far to loud and it's coming from outside the car anyway

lenny_gn said:
have you had replacement ball joints on ur wish bones?
Possibly, not sure though. i'll ask the guy next time

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Do you get the thud when you brake normally or go over bumps or round corners? Is anything loose around the master cylinder?

Next time just kill the pest!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i also get a thud well more of a bang and ive replaced both wish bones both drop links and both track rod ends and its still there but it does it when i pull off and stop which is embarassing when in a car park and people think youve hit a car.
i hope you find it as ive gave up on mine lol

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
My Mk2 8v used to do that. Think it was something to do with the disc? Seem to remember something about the disc screw shearing and under heavy braking it'd move slightly onto the wheel nut. I might have made that up tho.

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
windowlickeruk said:
i also get a thud well more of a bang and ive replaced both wish bones both drop links and both track rod ends and its still there but it does it when i pull off and stop which is embarassing when in a car park and people think youve hit a car.
Suspension top mount? Broken spring? CV joint?

Find an empty car park, open the bonnet and get a mate to sit on the engine whilst you drive slowly to see if he can hear where it comes from.

·
Registered
53 Posts
GREYDJ said:
Suspension top mount? Broken spring? CV joint?

Find an empty car park, open the bonnet and get a mate to sit on the engine whilst you drive slowly to see if he can hear where it comes from.
the noise deffo comes from drivers side and you can feel it in the steering wheel and pedals and most probably where ever you sit in the car lol
mind you the car has been lowered to the extent you cant get your hand between the front and the wing so top mount is a strong possiblity but would this cause such a loud bang?

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
windowlickeruk said:
the noise deffo comes from drivers side and you can feel it in the steering wheel and pedals and most probably where ever you sit in the car lol
mind you the car has been lowered to the extent you cant get your hand between the front and the wing so top mount is a strong possiblity but would this cause such a loud bang?
If it is a loud bang then it must be metal to metal and resonating thro the body. That probably eliminates any joint with rubber in or still in if damaged. The top mount is a good candidate. Thuds tend to be a rubbered joint.

Anti roll bar bushes?

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
windowlickeruk said:
mine does this after sum coont pulled out on me and i had to use me ABS

found that the bolt that holds the drivers side wishbone and subframe to the chassis is now bent slightly which causes a loud knock as you describe. its bloody annoying and athough the bolt is tight i got to replace it. Think its fecked the thread as well tho :shame:

·
Registered
53 Posts
dave's.cavy said:
mine does this after sum coont pulled out on me and i had to use me ABS

found that the bolt that holds the drivers side wishbone and subframe to the chassis is now bent slightly which causes a loud knock as you describe. its bloody annoying and athough the bolt is tight i got to replace it. Think its fecked the thread as well tho :shame:
when i changed the wishbones i didnt notice any bent bolts but cheers for the reply:Cool2:

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
windowlickeruk said:
i did think this as i think theres two bushes near the bulk head where it bolts to the subframe but my local vaux say they dont list any confused
they dont know how to use Epc properly, ive found them on my Epc under front stabilizer Bar, theres many of sizes dependant on chassis number

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Broken suspension top mount possibly, or crushed bearing resulting in play in that area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
dave's.cavy said:
they dont know how to use Epc properly, ive found them on my Epc under front stabilizer Bar, theres many of sizes dependant on chassis number
so they do exsist then:bananasmi i will go in there again and give his head a shake:grrr :lmao:

·
Registered
53 Posts
C3MKY said:
Broken suspension top mount possibly, or crushed bearing resulting in play in that area.
when you say crushed bearing do you mean in the strut or cv?

ps i apologise for hijacking your thread kneo_ghau i wasnt intentional

1 - 20 of 30 Posts