·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
can anyone help me,
when I start up my omega 2.5 1998 there is horrible noise coming
from what I think is a pump/motor? the noise only lasts for a short time as the
pump only seems to be active on start up.
can anyone shed any light on what the pump/motor is and what this horrible noise is,(it sounds expensive)
cheers:think

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
if it sounds like its in the Nearside wheel well (or that area) it will be the Secondary Air Pump.

It pumps air into the exhaust, to get the Cat u to tempreture quicker.

Sounds like a Flymo, but its nothing to worry about.

If they fail, they are sealed units, so would needd replacing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick response.
It does seem to come from that area, if it is that how easy is it replace and is it expesive
cheers

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
If it is this the Secondary Airpump these are expensive from Vx but I dont think the filters are too bad.

Access to the pump is restricted I did mine by jacking the front left side up and pulling part of the arch away (plastic section) undid the pipes and removed the fixing bolts. pulled the pump downwards away from car. You may have to remove the horns aswell.

Pumps are pretty cheap from the scrappies if this is what needs replacing.

HTH I am sure if I have missed something someone will respond.

Good Luck

·
Registered
151 Posts
Does anyone hav a 2.5V6 97 R REG?......mine has a funny buzzing sound coming from a long cylinder bazooka looking item located under the coolant expansion bottle.....this little piece of technology is plumbed into a couple of hoses.....is the thing supposed to buzz like a buzzbomb normally when on ignition on the key or will it blow up soon????
cheers
monza

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
It's an auxiliary water pump.

One is used to circulate the radiator water when the ignition is off (AC models)

The other circulates water through the heater matrix, so even with the engine off, you can get some heat out (for a while)

It's probably seized.

The have an inductively coupled impeller (no direct connection to the motor), and will buzz if they get stuck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Again thanks for that.....is the auxiliary water pump used to circulate water thro matrix?.....if ive got that right does that explain why my heater is all of a sudden producing hardly any heat at all ????......i have recently changed the oil cooler too following a LEAKING COVER PLATE and subsequently a stripped oil cooler locking nut thread...!
Next question.....does anyone know how much these aux water pumps cost????.......and best place to find
cheers
monza

1 - 12 of 12 Posts