Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 1819 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
Seems good of him, must have an half decent boss.
I'm thinking about reducing my services I go into now for cross contamination reasons, between me, the tenants & staff. Also I'm wanting to reduce my hours a bit too, this may be possible as the people I support are mainly staying at home now, requiring less staff, but at the same time the job is becoming more challenging for everyone. I wouldn't mind not being wanted either & taking a 80% of my wages, I doubt this will happen though. Although after a month I think I'd be climbing the walls.
After much thinking I’ve had to tell him I’m taking some time off as i don’t want to catch this virus & give it to the wife who is an asthma sufferer.
Today she begins her first day trying to work at home , she’s calculating that most of her staff will only do at most 4 to 5 hours a day due to the restriction of being home & people having children at home causing distractions.
The school teachers weren’t happy about being at school , they’ve got 120 children in school.

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
After much thinking I’ve had to tell him I’m taking some time off as i don’t want to catch this virus & give it to the wife who is an asthma sufferer.
Today she begins her first day trying to work at home , she’s calculating that most of her staff will only do at most 4 to 5 hours a day due to the restriction of being home & people having children at home causing distractions.
The school teachers weren’t happy about being at school , they’ve got 120 children in school.
I am actually finding that I'm working earlier and finishing later, probably doing more hours than I would in the office :LOL:

I need to have some self discipline I think. It would be fine If I could claim overtime, but sadly I can't :(

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Decided I'm going to keep the lights on and focus my efforts on keeping our workforce on the road. At Forth Valley Hospital carpark tommorow for a health care worker( brake pads been on the backing 2 weeks) The wife is currently 180miles off the coast of Oz on an OAG seismic boat doing a 8 week rotation, probably the safest place in the world right now which helps me sleep at night. Getting back is not going to be fun though, her mum has recently moved back to Australia, so could well see her being there until August at this rate, I've been in better situations!

Going to focus my mind on helping all the folk that really need it instead of heading to the folks, they currently have my 78 year old aunt who they rescued, in a Guantanamo style 10 day isolated lockdown...I'd rather be covered in car crust 😁

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,625
I've reduced my hours a bit, but work as usual. My wife and son both work too. So it's just a case of hoping I don't catch it, if I do I'll self isolate. It's the vunrable people I support too I worry about, as we need a minimum amount of staff in service. Just have to see how things progress. If I go off on the sick it's just ssp for me.

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,799 Posts
I am actually finding that I'm working earlier and finishing later, probably doing more hours than I would in the office :LOL:

I need to have some self discipline I think. It would be fine If I could claim overtime, but sadly I can't :(
Much the same here. Normally, my weekday is 8.30 until 5.15, maybe a bit later. Today, I'll be doing 7.30 until 5pm. Supporting others who can't get the networked stuff will keep me a little bit more busy than normal. I've been told that some of our staff have been told to do a standard 37 hour week and that's that. If that's the case for me, I'll review my working times.

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
Much the same here. Normally, my weekday is 8.30 until 5.15, maybe a bit later. Today, I'll be doing 7.30 until 5pm. Supporting others who can't get the networked stuff will keep me a little bit more busy than normal. I've been told that some of our staff have been told to do a standard 37 hour week and that's that. If that's the case for me, I'll review my working times.
I'm finding myself jumping on issues much faster than usual that any workers still left on-site in our factories are having. I kind of feel a sense of duty to make sure they feel that we are still supporting them despite all working from home while they are still having to go to work.

That's from an IT applications perspective. Our IT infrastructure team are doing the same, and they are ensuring that at least one person from their team is on-site still Monday to Friday to address any physical hardware issues.

Sadly I can't say the same for other departments. Sales seem to be the worst at the moment. All working from home and never seem to be available to answer calls when we have issues with orders etc...... :(

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,799 Posts
We've had a number of people call in sick today, quoting symptoms of covid. I have precisely no proof, but I think that some people are just seeing it as a 2 week 'isolation' from work. I'm wondering what will happen should people who have previously isolated then show symptoms or worse.

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
We've had a number of people call in sick today, quoting symptoms of covid. I have precisely no proof, but I think that some people are just seeing it as a 2 week 'isolation' from work. I'm wondering what will happen should people who have previously isolated then show symptoms or worse.
Trouble is, you can have a fever with standard flu or any infection. It may not be covid, but government say isolate. Then you get covid three weeks later and have to isolate again.

It is a shame that you can't request a test kit when you show any symptoms, then at least you'd know after three or four days instead of 14.

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts

One member of staff rang up to say she won’t be in today as she’s sick.
The wife told her your not in today anyway as we’re all working from home.
It’s really hard working from home as the wife constantly has to have phone calls with several people at once , during conversations the other persons phone then rings so they drop out of the chat to return later on & then have to be updated on key points they’ve missed.

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
I've reduced my hours a bit, but work as usual. My wife and son both work too. So it's just a case of hoping I don't catch it, if I do I'll self isolate. It's the vunrable people I support too I worry about, as we need a minimum amount of staff in service. Just have to see how things progress. If I go off on the sick it's just ssp for me.
I’ve just been reading a doctors note on his working day , very scary indeed.
The lungs on a Covid -19 patient fill up with Sputum this leaves no air space for oxygen to inflate the lungs.
Ventilators work at their maximum but cannot inflate the lungs enough to get the air in needed , extreme shortness of breath finally reaches no lung movements & patients die.
He said even 30 to 40 year olds are now coming in to his ward needing urgent medical intervention.
It’s not worth the gamble , stay home & stay safe as the alternative isn’t recommended going by what the doctor is witnessing.

·
Likes this.
10,838 Posts
One member of staff rang up to say she won’t be in today as she’s sick.
The wife told her your not in today anyway as we’re all working from home.
It’s really hard working from home as the wife constantly has to have phone calls with several people at once , during conversations the other persons phone then rings so they drop out of the chat to return later on & then have to be updated on key points they’ve missed.
Well if it's an important meeting they should behave as they would if all sat in a meeting room in the office.

I mean, if you were physically in a meeting with ten people, you wouldn't stop to answer your mobile would you?

·
12,349 Posts
I was asked to hand back my work's laptop today so someone else can be issued with it to work from home while I remain signed off on long term sick. It was no good to me anyway because it dropped off the corporate network last week.
Expecting them to ask for the mobile phone next.

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
Decided I'm going to keep the lights on and focus my efforts on keeping our workforce on the road. At Forth Valley Hospital carpark tommorow for a health care worker( brake pads been on the backing 2 weeks) The wife is currently 180miles off the coast of Oz on an OAG seismic boat doing a 8 week rotation, probably the safest place in the world right now which helps me sleep at night. Getting back is not going to be fun though, her mum has recently moved back to Australia, so could well see her being there until August at this rate, I've been in better situations!

Going to focus my mind on helping all the folk that really need it instead of heading to the folks, they currently have my 78 year old aunt who they rescued, in a Guantanamo style 10 day isolated lockdown...I'd rather be covered in car crust 😁
What she doing looking for Godzilla

·
Premium Member
10,284 Posts
Mother had her Memory Clinic appointment cancelled yet again this is the 4th time told them I understand its the Coronavirus but they are taking the P1ss, the other 3 were the worker had gone on the sick so no one to cover, this is to start a course of treatment for her Dementia so yet again its delayed.

Went for my dressing appointment this morning, I have to admit my 30 year old nurse still looked gorgeous with her face mask on, one of the receptionists I've known since she was a kid she told me she has been told she isn't allowed on the front desk and has to work at the back of reception because she has mild Asthma or go home for 12 weeks, she said she cant afford to take 12 weeks off.

Bought a roller shutter door from a woman on Marketplace, she has a brick built garage free if you dismantle it, the listing said the Roller shutter was for sale separate, asked her how much she said £70, she messaged me over the weekend saying if I want it I can have it for £60 she wants it gone, asked her the size she replied on Sunday saying its 2330mm wide (nearly 8ft) If I definitely want it I can have it £40, so rang neighbour and we went today to pick up in his pick up from Eaglescliffe, garage was gone and roller shutter was laid on the grass in the rear garden, looks like there's been some money spent at the house Few thousands worth of blocks piled up in the front garden and back garden, shutter was a lot lighter than I expected, neighbour is now looking after it for me in his garden.

Just been and bought a petrol strimmer from a bloke on Marketplace £10, 10 minute drive away, if I have to self Isolate I want something to do.

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
Well if it's an important meeting they should behave as they would if all sat in a meeting room in the office.

I mean, if you were physically in a meeting with ten people, you wouldn't stop to answer your mobile would you?
Unfortunately when the main man phones up you have to take is call.
These are unprecedented times , the wife had previously told share holders that this was going to be the best year ever , then along came Covid -19 & everything changed beyond comprehension.
Difficult decisions are going to have to be made to keep the loses down to the least they can.
Survival is now the only game in town.

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,638
I’ve just been reading a doctors note on his working day , very scary indeed.
The lungs on a Covid -19 patient fill up with Sputum this leaves no air space for oxygen to inflate the lungs.
Ventilators work at their maximum but cannot inflate the lungs enough to get the air in needed , extreme shortness of breath finally reaches no lung movements & patients die.
He said even 30 to 40 year olds are now coming in to his ward needing urgent medical intervention.
It’s not worth the gamble , stay home & stay safe as the alternative isn’t recommended going by what the doctor is witnessing.
Looks like I'm going onto permanent nights, as it's skelton staff now to look after tenants. Most of the day shifts will go. I'm going to be sensible about it, but I'm not going to live my life through fear. This certainly brings the worst and best out of people. I'm now seeing this with staff. I started work within the care industry to care, I can't not care now. Not forgetting we can only slow down, not stop the spread of this virus.

·
Super Moderator
25,803 Posts
Looks like I'm going onto permanent nights, as it's skelton staff now to look after tenants. Most of the day shifts will go. I'm going to be sensible about it, but I'm not going to live my life through fear. This certainly brings the worst and best out of people. I'm now seeing this with staff. I started work within the care industry to care, I can't not care now. Not forgetting we can only slow down, not stop the spread of this virus.
Some good points made by the doctor
1/ At least 7 hours good sleep a night Is a boost for your body's immune system.
2/ Don't over exercise , if you do your immune system will be below par for 24 hours after.
3/ Eat as much natural food as you can , such as eggs , milk , meat , vegetables etc.
4/ Wash those hands regularly.
5/ Avoid touching your face.
6/ if possible avoid direct contact with other human beings.
Another point to note is the reason this is being referred to as the silent killer , this is because for the first 5 days you catch the virus you feel perfectly normal & show no symptoms.
During that time however it's starting to make it's appearance silently & as you come into contact with others it can craftily infect them.
This is why social distancing is advised , our doctors pharmacy made customers queue down the road at 2 meters apart yesterday & it looked really bizzare as you drove past.

1621 - 1640 of 1819 Posts