Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 2359 Posts

·
12,742 Posts
Don't like the Toolstation one because it lacks an on / off switch which the Home Bargains one has for the same money.
If I can track down the receipt from one of the Lidl ones I may as well claim for another one under the 3 year guarantee.

·
Super Moderator
26,084 Posts
Got a slow leak in a rear tyre which I just pump up twice a week, not worth getting it repaired because the cost is more than what is left on the tyre tread-wise.
Couldn't be bothered to get soaked on Friday because it was lashing down so when I was in Tesco this afternoon I thought I would put some air in it and after about 10 minutes gave it up as a bad joke, looks like my compressor is letting the tyre down rather than inflating it! It now looked very flat so emptied the boot to get my spare wheel out and checked that before putting it on and that was quite low too so had to put it on and drive the half mile back to the girlfriend's house to use her compressor.
That is the fourth compressor I have bought from Lidl and the last - two have been replaced under the 3 year warranty but to be honest they are junk. One just died, another had smoke pouring out of it, a third one again just died and now this one is working but not actually putting much air out.
Start looking for a pair of rear tyres now, I don't like just putting one on.
I use the award winning air pump by Michelin , fills up the tyres quickly & i get some exercise ?

·
Rascal
12,051 Posts
Didn't your Tesco's have a petrol station couldn't you of used the Air pump there.

Toolstation are doing a 250psi one for £4.99

Tesco Charge for their air pump at the petrol station around here, only Sainsbury’s have it for free

·
12,742 Posts
That's why all the taxi drivers down my way go to Sainsbury for air.

·
Likes this.
10,893 Posts
I have one of those cheap £5 compressors like the Toolstation one. I've had it for years.

The gauge doesn't work on it any more and hasn't for years, but apart from that it's absolutely fine. Oh, and also I've had to replace the 12v plug as that broke. (starting to sound like Trigger's broom now :LOL: )

I bought a new one a few years back but had to take it back because it had a screw on end that you had to screw onto the tyre valve rather than push on and lock in place like the cheap one. With the wheels on my Mondeo ST I struggled to unscrew the damn thing before all the air came out!! :ROFLMAO:

So I took new compressor back and bought a posh tyre pressure gauge instead, and continue to use my cheap compressor :)

·
Rascal
12,051 Posts
The compressor that came in the Skoda is pretty good, I’ve got a couple of other ones knocking about that I’ve had for years which all work as well. I can never get the cables to fold up as neatly as when they come out of the box though

·
12,742 Posts
I don't rely on the gauge. I prefer to over inflate then use my digital tyre gauge to slowly let air out until I am happy.

I did have one of those fancy digital compressors where you set the pressure and it automatically stops when it gets there. £35 reduced to £8 in Asia a few years back. Guess what? That packed up too.

·
Likes this.
10,893 Posts
I don't rely on the gauge. I prefer to over inflate then use my digital tyre gauge to slowly let air out until I am happy.
Yeah that's exactly what I do too :)

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
My car failed to start yesterday afternoon, when I was despatched to Lidl's for supplies (had to walk)!
I have been keeping an eye on the battery voltage in the hidden menu for a while now, it has gradually been getting lower for a month or so now, and when I last used the car on Friday, it stuggled to get over 12.9 volts.
So, today I replaced the alternator with one I repaired by fitting a new regulator/brush assembly & oil seal some time ago.
Not an easy job lying on your back with the car jacked up, and having to dive inside every time we had a shower.
Just my luck, but the last thing I undid was the main battery lead, and I was surprised to find the plastic surround on the nut was melted. When I got the nut off, the battery lead terminal end was very dirty & has obviously been running hot, creating a high resistance, so that explains the low voltage.
Now getting a consistant 14.0/14.1 volts when driving.
Looking forward to a hot bath now, to try to sort my back pain out! Old age doesn't come alone!
I will now have to test the removed one, if it's allright I will keep it for a spare, if not I will repair it anyway.

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,917 Posts
Break up day today! Hooray.

I also signed up to half an allotment plot at the weekend, so I'll be spending a little bit of time up there tidying and sorting through a few things. Looking forward to growing a few bits of our own fruit and veg.

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,273
Break up day today! Hooray.

I also signed up to half an allotment plot at the weekend, so I'll be spending a little bit of time up there tidying and sorting through a few things. Looking forward to growing a few bits of our own fruit and veg.
Nothing like growing your own veggies. I'm going to grow some winter vegetables within my greenhouse raised beds, after the summer Tom's have finished. Once I've got the raised beds sorted.

Working tonight, when I was suppose to be off. My own fault, as I said yes.

·
12,742 Posts
Had a free eye test to find out I am more blind than before, which I already knew. Looks like I am going to get new varifocals for my existing frames because the only frames Vision Express had looked cheap and nasty and that way I can go for the most expensive lenses. Just got to find an old pair of glasses so I can drive in between.

Then went to the MG dealers to pick up a pollen filter for him because it fits the MG3 only and nobody else makes them.
While I was there I asked their advice because his clutch pedal is sticking down now and again and reading about on the wonderful world of Google shows it is not that uncommon. Looks like a gearbox out job with £15 of parts but 4 hours labour. Not told him yet because he is away for a few days enjoying the floods in Worcester and it will only spoil his holiday.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
This morning, I tested the alternator that I took off my car on Monday.
It seems to be charging perfectly, so I will not be stripping it down, I'll just keep it as a spare.
Here are a few pictures of the plastic /steel insert nut that had melted, due to a poor connection on the main battery lead, which was reducing the charge rate.
This was replaced with an ordinary 8mm steel nut, with a shakeproof washer, so hopefully no more problems.

We've just had a sharp hail shower, now turning to rain again, as if we haven't had enough!
When my wife comes back from her over 60's club bingo game, I'm going to my friends to look at his Astra van, which appears to have a broken handbrake cable, so I can get the correct parts. Another job I could do without!

·
12,742 Posts
Just back from the MG dealer with my nephew. They are going to fit an uprated clutch return spring for free next Wednesday then we will see if he still has clutch problems. Apparently it should have been changed as an unofficial recall when it was last serviced but they missed it. He might be lucky yet.

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,280
I've just put my wife's Abarth 500 in for a service and mot at the dealers today at 4 years old. As it has an extended warranty with them from years 3-5. They've rung me back to tell me it's failed on the shocks, want another £400 to replace them. I'm waiting to find out if they're covered under their warranty, if not I may take it to my trusted indy to have them changed, waiting for a price off them too. Then take it back to the dealers for a retest.

1261 - 1280 of 2359 Posts