Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1344 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Just applied for a new job. Which is sort of like my old job, but more senior, and now operated by a different company who took over from where I currently work after I'd moved across to my current job. Hopefully this new company will like the many years experience I have already under my belt, I believe I can say with some confidence that nobody else will have as much as I do who applies for this job
How would you describe your current role ?

·
11,998 Posts
Which is........Andy explained a Golden Shower to me but never heard of a Scottish one, unless you wear a kilt while you do it.
I was looking for a weekend away and one of the places is offering Scottish showers so I had to look it up.
It is a warm shower followed by cold water, either delivered automatically or by some sadomasochistic employee with a high pressure hose!

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
I was looking for a weekend away and one of the places is offering Scottish showers so I had to look it up.
It is a warm shower followed by cold water, either delivered automatically or by some sadomasochistic employee with a high pressure hose!
Sounds just great , however if you stand outside tomorrow storm Dennis can give you a soaking for free lol 😆

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Just received a phone call from the lads , they’ve finally traced the coolant leak to the coolant expansion return hose.
If they squeeze it with the engine running coolant spurts out over the thermostat housing.
They said it’s strange as the hose looks perfect when you look at it & also it was bone dry on the outside when they first started to investigate with the engine running but after sometime spent looking around the thermostat housing they couldn’t see any coolant leaks from that area so they decided to be rough with the hoses & eventually it showed up.
New hose from Vauxhall is £18 & an hour spent looking for the leak so £32 & I’ll be back up & running.
I’ve been trying to catch where it’s been leaking from for the last week & looked at that hose but could never catch it leaking coolant despite the fact the coolant was running down back of engine from the housing , just shows a hose can leak from a tiniest of defects when driving but doesn’t easily show up when looking with the engine running.

·
11,998 Posts
Just been out and fitted my home made seals to the offside rear light assembly, ready for testing in storm Dennis.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,558 Posts
The words more money than sense come to mind.
As for remapping it causes more harm than good, there must be loads of people out there that claim what they are doing were in fact they haven't a clue.
I watched a video on Youtube the other day were somebody had put a remap on a Astra VXR the engine was wrecked, the mechanic stripped the engine down they had put such a harsh remap in the car it had melted parts of the head and the pistons, infact part of the piston was missing but it was in the bore.
I've had tons of mapped cars, with no issues ;)

I did watch the beardy bloke rebuilding that VXR lump the other day though. A complete and utter cut-price cowboy had mapped it. Full engine failures happen an awful lot less if they've been live/custom-mapped by a genuinely experienced mapper.

My Impreza has been mapped for 15 years/156K miles.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,558 Posts
Just took a customer to pick his motor up from the garage.
It’s a VW T5 van that the owner bought recently with a view to making it a day camper van.
It’s an 09 in black which had just over 63,000 miles recorded when he bought it privately early last year.
He’s had a mare with it , first off he had it professionally lowered & fitted bigger low profile alloys & tires , he then fitted side steps & smoked lights.
Things were looking bright until the some boost hoses starting popping off , he took to his mates garage & asked him if he knew it had been remapped big time , he said he didn’t know.
Remap was removed the van was driven until all the faults were put right , 2 new sensors , new turbocharger , new EGR , new water pump , new battery , steering problems sorted out , new alternator , new radiator.
I said you’ve been very unlucky for such a low mileage , his mate had told someone had been mucking about with the van altering this & that , causing all sorts of issues.
I wished I’d bought a new one now , I’ve ploughed £17,000 into this van what with the work required & the initial purchase & I’ve still got the conversion to to do yet.
Today’s bill ? New pads & discs all round plus a service he told me.
T5s and the like still astonish me with their prices and values. I really really don't get it, especially as plenty of owners tell me that they're not the most reliable things in the world. They're a van with windows to me. But hey ho, the demand is definitely there for them, so what do I know.

The chap next door bought this new a couple of years ago (cash), and somebody told me it was over £50K!!!! It has the ABT bodykit and seats, and RS6 wheels etc, but still.......it's a 4-cylinder diesel van.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
I've had tons of mapped cars, with no issues ;)

I did watch the beardy bloke rebuilding that VXR lump the other day though. A complete and utter cut-price cowboy had mapped it. Full engine failures happen an awful lot less if they've been live/custom-mapped by a genuinely experienced mapper.

My Impreza has been mapped for 15 years/156K miles.
That’s what caused the engine running issues with this customers T5 originally it was 80bhp but after the remap it was doing a hell of a lot more.
His mate who owns the garage said he couldn’t bottom out the issues because he couldn’t be sure it was because of the remap , so he agreed to let him remove the remap & then see what the issues were caused by , straightaway the hoses stopped popping off & the mid speed acceleration hiccup disappeared.
As regards prices my neighbour wanted one for his next day camper conversion but said the prices were getting silly , he can get a 13 plate Ford Transit with 40,000 miles on for much much less than an equivalent T5.
He’s got a T5 at the moment but due to the big miles recorded he doesn’t trust it when he goes to Europe next year taking his lad to races.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Got the Astra back from the lads , whilst i was down there a 2012 Mini Cooper Sport was up on one of the ramps.
I asked what was up with it , “ New turbocharger “
I noticed a big piece of paper stuck inside the open bonnet “ No Oil “
Why No oil i asked.
The Turbocharger supplier is fed up with premature failure of their turbochargers due to incorrect procedures being carried out before fitment by other garages so now we’ve been given new guidelines to follow when fitting their turbochargers.
1/ drain engine oil & then remove oil filter after no more oil exits
2/ remove sump
3/ clean oil pick strainer
4/ use the wash detergent supplied to clean out the whole area of the sump & allow to dry completely ( no debris must seen anywhere afterwards )
5/ new oil feed pipes
6/ new gauze filters where applicable
7/ new air filter
8/ new oil filter & oil to be added last of all
9/ work must undertaken in as clean a workspace as possible
Failure to follow these procedures will result in a void of the warranty if turbocharger should fail prematurely.
According to the lads debris in the oil left in the sump pan after a turbocharger failure can get sucked up with the new oil & carried around back to the turbocharger causing early failure.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Well it appears the wife’s nephew news turned out to be he’s got another job.
With JLR pushing on at a pace with it’s electric propulsion program with BMW the nephew decided he was on the fringes of engineers assigned to work on this project so he’s applied for a new job & got it at Brixworth Northamptonshire , he cant tell me yet who it’s for other than it’s a job designing race engines.
I reckon it’s ilmor engineering.

·
Premium Member
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,255 (Edited)
Chopped up the old decking into more manageable pieces, got rid and f what was rotten. Going to eventually make some planter boxes with the reclaimed decking and frame wood.
Spent an hour trying to assemble the new elec chainsaw, the instructions were not clear, chain had two knots in it which I couldn't get out, gave up and took it back to screwfix, got a refund. Used my jigsaw in the end.
I later found out that there was a middle piece missing to attaching the chainsaw blade:ROFLMAO:No wonder I couldn't put it together. After watching a YouTube video.
I'm going to treat myself to a reciprocating saw next, before I start on the planters.
IMG_20200216_162035222~2.jpg

·
11,998 Posts
Got a slow leak in a rear tyre which I just pump up twice a week, not worth getting it repaired because the cost is more than what is left on the tyre tread-wise.
Couldn't be bothered to get soaked on Friday because it was lashing down so when I was in Tesco this afternoon I thought I would put some air in it and after about 10 minutes gave it up as a bad joke, looks like my compressor is letting the tyre down rather than inflating it! It now looked very flat so emptied the boot to get my spare wheel out and checked that before putting it on and that was quite low too so had to put it on and drive the half mile back to the girlfriend's house to use her compressor.
That is the fourth compressor I have bought from Lidl and the last - two have been replaced under the 3 year warranty but to be honest they are junk. One just died, another had smoke pouring out of it, a third one again just died and now this one is working but not actually putting much air out.
Start looking for a pair of rear tyres now, I don't like just putting one on.

·
Premium Member
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,257
Got a slow leak in a rear tyre which I just pump up twice a week, not worth getting it repaired because the cost is more than what is left on the tyre tread-wise.
Couldn't be bothered to get soaked on Friday because it was lashing down so when I was in Tesco this afternoon I thought I would put some air in it and after about 10 minutes gave it up as a bad joke, looks like my compressor is letting the tyre down rather than inflating it! It now looked very flat so emptied the boot to get my spare wheel out and checked that before putting it on and that was quite low too so had to put it on and drive the half mile back to the girlfriend's house to use her compressor.
That is the fourth compressor I have bought from Lidl and the last - two have been replaced under the 3 year warranty but to be honest they are junk. One just died, another had smoke pouring out of it, a third one again just died and now this one is working but not actually putting much air out.
I've also gone through loads of elec compressors in the past too, usually buy a 3 year guarantee from Argos for around £7 on a £30 compressor, take them back within 3 years. Last time I bought a "ring", 12v compressor, this one has lasted 5 years, so far. Think I paid around £35 for it, blows up the tyres quickly too.
I usually plug my own tyres, if they're an easy repair. Nail etc, not too close to the egde. I've never had an issue with any I've ever repaired. Just use a plug kit.
I also put tyres on in pairs, preferably in 4's, when I can. I also like to match up their speed/load ratings too.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I've had that happen with one of those compressors. Tesco were selling them a few years ago at the reduced price of £6, apparently reduced from £23. I bought one and probably because I do a lot of messing about with wheels and tyres it got a bit of over use. The first thing that happened was that the fag lighter plug failed. I found that the fuse had got so hot that it had totally melted the plastic surround, they're really only intended for intermittent use. I've got a proper compressor in the garage which I can run an airline from for tyre pumping, but thought it better to save the main compressor and use the small one for convenience. I was going to take it back for a replacement, but seeing how the fag lighter plug was constructed it was fairly obvious that the same thing would happen again to any replacement. So seeing as it was cheap in the first place and seemed to work well otherwise, I cut the plug off it and extended the lead and fitted a couple of large croc clips so as to connect it directly to the car battery. It actually had a lot of use after this, but eventually died sometime last year, just as has been described in the above post with failing to inflate the tyre fully and in the end actually deflating the tyre while appearing to still be running at full throttle. As it happened, when I noticed that Tesco had another batch in at this supposedly reduced price a short while after getting the first one, I thought I may as well buy a couple more, one for me and one for the girlfriend for her car. Before I managed to give the girlfriend at that time her compressor, we split up, so I've now got two spares, one of which I'm now using. I haven't yet burnt the fag lighter plug out on it, as I'm not giving it such a prolonged use as I did the first one. The main use it gets is to pump up the air-rise suspension on the Carlton estate that I'm using at the moment as, unlike the other Carlton that I've taken off the road for time being, this one has a slight air leak and loses pressure over time - you have to keep a certain amount of air in them otherwise it ruins the air bags if you let them run completely flat, and I need the 'air-rise' to work as I sometimes carry and tow a lot of weight. I replaced a bad air shock on it when I put it back on the road as it wouldn't hold any air at all, but I think now that there's a very slight leak in the other side one - and I've now used my last spare, so it'll have to be spring assisters eventually for that car if I keep running it and need to tow and carry heavy things. I've got one spare saloon air shock, but they're different from the saloon to the estate and won't fit, unfortunately.

As for what's been said about the electric chain saw mentioned in the post above, I have to say that one of the best things I ever bought is one of those petrol multi-tool things with a chainsaw (called a pruner), a hedge trimmer, strimmer and a brush cutter. I never normally watch those shopping channels on TV, but one night around nine years ago I was flicking round and happened to see one being demonstrated on that Ideal World channel. I think it was around the £200 mark and I bought one, plus an extra couple of extension bars to give it a really long reach. It's had a lot of use and I'm still using it, although they had terrible on-line reviews at the time, mainly people complaining that they can't start the engine. What I've found is that the motor will always start perfectly from cold, even in sub-zero temperatures, but the problem comes if you have to stop it when it's hot. Basically it won't re-start when it's hot and I've done all sorts to try to cure this, but without success, it seems that this is just how they are. Sometimes it will hot start if you can catch it just right with the throttle fully open, but the best idea is to go and have a cup of tea and then come back to it 20 minutes later and it will normally start first time. The other faults have been that the throttle cable seemed to stretch very quickly needing constant adjustment until it eventually settled down. The adjusting lever on the hedge trimmer snapped off, but it can still be adjusted without it. The captive nuts on the locking wheels for fitting the implements are made of chocolate and strip their threads regardless of keeping them oiled, so needed replacing with an ordinary nut - the thread on the 'bolt' part seems to be made of harder metal. All the above may seem rather bad, but at a bit over a couple of hundred quid and nine years of work, I don't think it's been too bad. I have to say that I have looked after it fairly well and always measure the two stroke petrol/oil mixture accurately rather than just using the marks on the plastic measuring bottle supplied. It came with all the safety head gear and gloves etc. The chainsaw blade now needs sharpening, so I've bought a set of chainsaw files for a fiver to do the job. Hopefully, once done, job should be a good'n for the coming season!

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Didn't your Tesco's have a petrol station couldn't you of used the Air pump there.

Toolstation are doing a 250psi one for £4.99

·
11,998 Posts
I could but it had 15lbs in it and it was just as quick to drive probably less than half a mile back and use the spare one I keep in the girlfriend's car.

Thinking back on these small compressors another one failed when the con rod snapped which links the tiny crankshaft to the piston that compresses the air. Made a hell of a racket when it went!

Home bargains have them in stock for a fiver so will pick one of them up and if it lasts a year I'll be more than happy with that.

1241 - 1260 of 1344 Posts