Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1344 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Got a phone call from the lads.
Cannot source an aftermarket thermostat housing for your Astra anywhere , we’ve been trying since we last spoke about the leak.
Can find 1 genuine brand new thermostat housing from a dealer but it’s not cheap as yours is made of metal & he wants £200 and that is only the bare bones no thermostat & no coolant temperature sensor or outside location flange pipe for the stat , however he’s not sure it would fit your car if it’s needed so can you pop around a bit later so we can compare yours to one he has in stock.
I asked why they need to source a new housing & the reply was , “ if the housing is knackered & we can’t get one then we cannot get you back on the road on Friday & you’d agree it would be prudent to be prepared just in case it’s more serious then just leaking from the gasket area “
Fair enough as I’ve looked several times now & can’t be dead certain of where the coolant is leaking from , all i can tell is it’s something to do with the housing.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Ok so went down & they had no spare ramps for a look underneath , so blast from the torch up top didn’t show us exactly where the coolant escaping from.
It’s not been helpful that the dealer cannot conform wether it’s a gasket that’s used for the mating flange of housing to engine block or wether it’s a heat resistant waterproof sealant that’s applied.
The lads have replaced loads of the plastic type of housings & they've all been plastic with a big gasket used to seal.
The trouble is the whole shooting match in parts if needed will be around £380 including vat.
So a rethink has been called & Friday she’ll go up on the ramps & the big torch will held up underneath whilst another of the lads has a real good look , because if it just a case of a remove & reseal / refit then no parts will be needed.
So I’ll know on Friday which way it’s going to go.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Got a phone call from the lads.
Cannot source an aftermarket thermostat housing for your Astra anywhere , we’ve been trying since we last spoke about the leak.
Can find 1 genuine brand new thermostat housing from a dealer but it’s not cheap as yours is made of metal & he wants £200 and that is only the bare bones no thermostat & no coolant temperature sensor or outside location flange pipe for the stat , however he’s not sure it would fit your car if it’s needed so can you pop around a bit later so we can compare yours to one he has in stock.
I asked why they need to source a new housing & the reply was , “ if the housing is knackered & we can’t get one then we cannot get you back on the road on Friday & you’d agree it would be prudent to be prepared just in case it’s more serious then just leaking from the gasket area “
Fair enough as I’ve looked several times now & can’t be dead certain of where the coolant is leaking from , all i can tell is it’s something to do with the housing.
Have a look on here

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
The new fridge broke down yesterday so i phoned up the warranty repair line to see how soon an engineer can come out , earliest they can do is next Thursday the 20th.
Good job I’ve got 2 other fridges i said.
Her reply , “ So your in luck then otherwise you’d have to throw your food out then “
Charming , charming indeed 🧐

·
11,998 Posts
Just back from an afternoon out with my hairy side kick.

Nice weather so took him down the playing fields for a run.

Not very often I can let him off the lead so found a quiet field all to ourselves.

One very tired dog now.
Nice to get out in the fresh air.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,558 Posts
A house doesn't stay looking new for long. Mine being around 48 years old now, it's had few refits along the years and we've extended it too.
We once bought a 2 bed semi from new, looked great for the first 5 years, then the work started. Although I'd choose a pre-lived in home anytime, against a new one. I found the general build quality on new homes to be poor. Although owning an older one is not always picnic either, as you can come across the bodge it jobs from previous owners too.
It's nice to modernise as you go along, as you gain jobs satisfaction if you do the job right. I tend to learn from my own previous mistakes and from others, as I go along.
Aye, in the first 10 years I renovated the last house, and then painted it throughout,...twice. Then added a two-storey side extension and single rear one,...decorated all that nicely,......and then that made the 'main' house look older again, so I decorated it all for the THIRD f***ing time!!

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
I put a sticker on the back of a friend's partners car it read, " My Driving Scares Me Sometimes As well "

I remember there was supposed to be a builder in the Midlands that had on his van " You've had the Cowboys now try the Indians Singh & Son"

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Wife’s nieces husband told us his nearly new Ford Edge as been badly damaged in the office car park by his boss.
The boss forgot to apply the handbrake on his car , it rolled down the road into the next car park hitting James Ford Edge on the passenger side causing some considerable damage.
His boss has apologised & will get the cars fixed ASAP.
Awkward conversation that one.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Just took a customer to pick his motor up from the garage.
It’s a VW T5 van that the owner bought recently with a view to making it a day camper van.
It’s an 09 in black which had just over 63,000 miles recorded when he bought it privately early last year.
He’s had a mare with it , first off he had it professionally lowered & fitted bigger low profile alloys & tires , he then fitted side steps & smoked lights.
Things were looking bright until the some boost hoses starting popping off , he took to his mates garage & asked him if he knew it had been remapped big time , he said he didn’t know.
Remap was removed the van was driven until all the faults were put right , 2 new sensors , new turbocharger , new EGR , new water pump , new battery , steering problems sorted out , new alternator , new radiator.
I said you’ve been very unlucky for such a low mileage , his mate had told someone had been mucking about with the van altering this & that , causing all sorts of issues.
I wished I’d bought a new one now , I’ve ploughed £17,000 into this van what with the work required & the initial purchase & I’ve still got the conversion to to do yet.
Today’s bill ? New pads & discs all round plus a service he told me.

·
Super Moderator
12,148 Posts
It’s a VW T5 van that the owner bought recently with a view to making it a day camper van.
It’s an 09 in black which had just over 63,000 miles recorded when he bought it privately early last year.
He’s had a mare with it , first off he had it professionally lowered & fitted bigger low profile alloys & tires , he then fitted side steps & smoked lights.
Things were looking bright until the some boost hoses starting popping off , he took to his mates garage & asked him if he knew it had been remapped big time , he said he didn’t know.
Remap was removed the van was driven until all the faults were put right , 2 new sensors , new turbocharger , new EGR , new water pump , new battery , steering problems sorted out , new alternator , new radiator.
I said you’ve been very unlucky for such a low mileage , his mate had told someone had been mucking about with the van altering this & that , causing all sorts of issues.
I wished I’d bought a new one now , I’ve ploughed £17,000 into this van what with the work required & the initial purchase & I’ve still got the conversion to to do yet.
where ya pick him up a mental asylum 😲 £17000 😲

·
Rascal
11,906 Posts
Just applied for a new job. Which is sort of like my old job, but more senior, and now operated by a different company who took over from where I currently work after I'd moved across to my current job. Hopefully this new company will like the many years experience I have already under my belt, I believe I can say with some confidence that nobody else will have as much as I do who applies for this job

·
11,998 Posts
Found out what a "Scottish Shower" is.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
The words more money than sense come to mind.
As for remapping it causes more harm than good, there must be loads of people out there that claim what they are doing were in fact they haven't a clue.
I watched a video on Youtube the other day were somebody had put a remap on a Astra VXR the engine was wrecked, the mechanic stripped the engine down they had put such a harsh remap in the car it had melted parts of the head and the pistons, infact part of the piston was missing but it was in the bore.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Wife’s nieces husband told us his nearly new Ford Edge as been badly damaged in the office car park by his boss.
The boss forgot to apply the handbrake on his car , it rolled down the road into the next car park hitting James Ford Edge on the passenger side causing some considerable damage.
His boss has apologised & will get the cars fixed ASAP.
Awkward conversation that one.
Side impact tell to scrap it and get his boss to buy him another, never drive or feel right after a repair of a extensive side impact.

1221 - 1240 of 1344 Posts